You are not logged in.

#651 2019-03-10 16:34:50

ekardnam
Website

Re: why you choose ArchLinux?

For me there are many reasons. First I love to have everything my computer runs under my control. I love the community, there are good communities sorrounding most linux distros actually, but arch one is just great. Previuosly I was on Ubuntu, but it just isn't the linux machine i'm looking for. I prefer having it built with the software I want and from "scratch"

Cheers.

#652 2019-03-10 16:56:06

thinman

I switched to Arch as my daily driver mostly for the amazingly-helpful/generous community and the outstanding wiki.  It's a great OS that got me looking under the hood and learning a lot more than I did on other distributions.  I'd love to be able to contribute but my skills stop at bash scripting so I have to settle with just making monetary donations and the occasional grammar fix in the wiki. ^_^

#653 2019-03-11 15:34:45

zpg443

Reasons?
1. Biggest 'return on investment' for the time spent learning an operating system (documentation, community, KISS approach)
2. AUR provides the flexibility to deploy solutions that meet your exact needs (like a Brother MFC-L2700DW printer/scanner). Although folks say it is like the wild west, I have had surprisingly few issues with AUR packages, and I have 29 installed at the moment. Pick them carefully, but do not be afraid! This is a big benefit of using Arch.
3. For a rolling release distro, it is very stable.

#654 2019-04-22 14:20:51

r0b0t

- great community plus AUR
- rolling release you install it once , set it up to your needs and you'r done with it
- because : PACMAN
- cutting edge, latest and newest stuff hits arch repositories first, and with the cutting edge stuff, also the bug fixes and the security patches.
- last but not least, 10 years of Arch and it became toxic. Thanks goes to the people who brought to the community this gem.

#655 2019-06-14 09:23:08

pradeesh

1.Arch Philosophy
2.Arch Community
3.Pacman is fast!
4.Gives me many choices
5.Stable as a rock
6.makes me learn

#656 2019-06-14 10:24:29

TarsolyGer

pradeesh wrote:

2.Arch Community
6.makes me learn

These two points are spot on for me, too! I went against the suggestion of the broader Linux community, and I started my journey to the world of alternative operating systems by installing Arch in a VM. The learning curve is steep, but I'm the kind of guy who doesn't get scared away by some challenge.

The only way... is all the way!

#657 2019-06-16 16:56:24

mrazster
Website

Because it felt like the natural next step, after been using *buntu in some form/version (mostly Xubuntu) for the last 13 years or so. I was at a point where my installation method was similar to how you install Arch in many ways. With the biggest difference of having everything prepacked in debs.
I booted from a "minimal iso" and did a so called "commandline expert install" witch gave just the basedistro. And then I proceeded to execute my own installscript witch installs the DE and packages and drivers I needed, using as few metapackages as possible.

It´ s been a pleasant ride so far. Haven´ t run in to any large problems.
And the install is fairly straightforward and simple if you take the time learn and understand it.

Last edited by mrazster (2019-06-16 16:57:29)

Arch...the way it was meant to be !!

#658 2019-06-16 17:29:08

d_fajardo

I've used Ubuntu and Linux Mint for years but since I started using Arch, I don't think I'll go back unless it's necessary and not my choice. I just love the rolling release, the ease of updating and the clean architecture. I don't need to have anything I don't need or use and this is due to the superb pacman which keeps good track of everything in the system. Of course Arch requires more involvement in learning how things work and sometimes due to changes in updates one needs to track down and solve problems but that's also a learning opportunity. To maintain Arch is to learn more about it.

#659 2019-06-18 08:37:50

rowdog

Because Arch is the best. Fight me.

#660 2019-07-07 23:26:13

mrtok
Banned
Website

arch chose me, the preshus that she is; once i had my tin foil hat on correctly to catch some of the tasty gravity waves i knew right then and there my flux capacitor was firing on all cylinders.

cheerz

Last edited by mrtok (2019-07-07 23:26:47)

github dot com/tokzco

#661 2019-07-08 03:24:07

nomorewindows

mrtok wrote:

arch chose me, the preshus that she is; once i had my tin foil hat on correctly to catch some of the tasty gravity waves i knew right then and there my flux capacitor was firing on all cylinders.

cheerz

Must've been back in the year 1985... big_smile

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#662 2019-07-30 04:44:39

10PinkPanther

Easy to install in just several minutes.

#663 2019-08-13 01:49:10

mrazster
Website

Because everyone said it was so hard !

And then I simply just haven´t found the time or desire to change to something else, so I just keept rooling with it !

Last edited by mrazster (2019-08-13 06:24:44)

Arch...the way it was meant to be !!

#664 2019-08-13 04:05:21

kmartin

'Tis the wellspring where many minions sup.
and  --- it seamed like a good idea at the time.
yup!

... it seemed like a good idea ...

#665 2019-10-09 12:12:10

traches

After using windows for years, I started with Ubuntu in a VM and then single-boot. After a few months an attempted system upgrade broke a bunch of stuff, after which I thought "That's dumb, I should be able to run a routine update without everything breaking". So instead of fixing whatever it was that broke I switched to Manjaro.

That was great for awhile, until an update broke my boot loader. At this point I thought "This is dumb. The whole reason I switched to Manjaro instead of Arch is so I don't have to learn about things like bootloaders. If I have to learn about them anyway, I might as well just use Arch." So I did. After about a year I'm up to a desktop, a hacked chromebook, and a """server""" (poor laptop stuffed in a cabinet with a big fat external hard drive plugged in) all running Arch. Never looking back.

#666 2019-10-11 21:19:18

Kallestofeles

Because it can be tiny and highly optimized, or bloated like a bugger - it gives the USER the control over their system and allows one to put together just the pieces that are needed to complete a task.
Because it is bleeding edge - ain't no-one got time to wait on them PPA fellows updating their repos. Which leads me to the next point...
Because there are no dependency hells to be found with the amazing pacman! It does EXACTLY what you tell it to do - think twice and shoot once, then make sure you hit the mark.
Because it is rolling - there is nothing quite like skipping the annual reinstall-rounds due to broken distro-upgrades or cleaning up after upgrades... also, there is nothing quite like not visiting a system for a year and then come back to discover that you have 500+ packages to upgrade - you know it takes a beer or two that evening.
Because the packages are pretty much vanilla from upstream and the OS does NOT f**k with your configuration files after updating packages - this also puts the responsibility on the user's shoulders but is a great way to learn.
Because of KISS!
Because the wiki is expansive, is created by intelligent beings who want to get things done and it is meant to be used with this OS.
Because the community has probably some of the wisest guys around when it comes to Linux and how things are meant to work - ask the right questions, do your homework beforehand and when you really run out of ideas to try, ask for help - the people here come up with amazing solutions to ridiculous problems!
Because it is as stable as you make it to be. Want to live on the edge? Give testing repos a go! Want to have your desktop break every half-a-year? Do what I do and upgrade Gnome as soon as a new version hits the streets! Want a rock solid experience without worrying about any breakages? Install xfce without exotic applications and cruise along the beaches of stagnation... brrreeeeze!
Because I can call the setup my own - there are many Arch systems out there similar to this, but this one is mine. Handcrafted with just the stuff I need, not bloated with the stuff someone else though that I might need.

Keep it tight, keep it simple, keep it yours!

#667 2019-11-15 02:14:32

Tharbad

Was using Linux Mint KDE version. Got a bug. Saw the bug reported as solved 2y ago.
Was really annoyed. Decided to move to one of the (almost) last release distro.
Decided that I need a distro that requires me to understand stuff as I really like to understand stuff.
Arch was the only option (Also gentoo but I'm not suicidal).

#668 2019-11-15 13:38:10

Awebb

Gentoo is great, but Arch has that sweet spot covered between lazy and customizable.

#669 2019-11-16 07:32:02

bosonic

I've tried ubuntu and manjaro before, but it just feels best to establish a working environment step-by-step all by myself and I can handle all of it in this way.

#670 2019-12-02 15:30:28

linux-mate
Banned

"Message" is a required field in this form.

Mod comment:   Post blanked by the author.  Author has been banned

Last edited by ewaller (2020-01-05 22:32:58)

#671 2019-12-02 15:36:26

linux-mate
Banned

"Message" is a required field in this form.

Mod comment:   Post blanked by the author.  Author has been banned

Last edited by ewaller (2020-01-05 22:33:10)

#672 2019-12-02 15:40:15

ewaller
Administrator

linux-mate wrote:

Actually pacman is very slow

Your other arguments have merit.  Not this one; it is one of the fastest package managers out there. 

In all seriousness, I suggest you check out Gentoo; although emerge is no where near as fast as pacman.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#673 2019-12-02 16:11:09

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

pacman and systemd are completely unrelated. Unsurprising, when pacman works on macOS, BSD and even Windows.

Last edited by Alad (2019-12-02 16:11:39)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#674 2019-12-02 17:19:30

koffeinfriedhof

why you choose ArchLinux?

It is better to install additional packages than to uninstall them in a SusEbianBuntuWhatever-Distro. And I'm not afraid of systemd wink

#675 2019-12-02 18:01:36

Zod

Not in any particular order...

1) The Initial install, I like starting with as little as possible and building the system to suit me.

2) I think Arch has the right balance between installing pre-built binaries and the ability to build from source. I've been waiting for Enlightenment WM to come out of testing, Instead I grabbed the pkgbuilds for that and EFL from testing, built and installed them myself...that's flexibility.

3) I think Arch is in a good place right now, the ecosystem is big enough that most anything I can think of doing with Linux I can do with Arch but it's still small enough to be surprisingly responsive to the user base.

4) I'm a distro hopper (I'm still playing around with Gentoo, FreeBSD, Void and whatever else may catch my eye in VMs'). My daily driver is set up so that I can rebuild it at the drop of a hat, but I'm running Arch and I think that says something.

5) Recent changes and what I know of the future direction of Arch keep me excited.

6) I don't like point release distros' for my daily driver, I'll leave that for server use cases.

7) Pacman is awesome, I don't think it needs any helpers.

Board footer