You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-18 09:46:22

yuvadm
Website

Digital Ocean image support

For a long time I've been running Arch Linux images on Digital Ocean, but it seems the current situation is in limbo.

Since the deprecation of the official Arch Linux images, the best option up until now has been creating a Debian image and migrating it to Arch using https://github.com/gh2o/digitalocean-debian-to-arch/

However it seems a recent change has rendered this option useless - https://github.com/gh2o/digitalocean-de … /issues/75

Digital Ocean does not yet support ISO images (they claimed support should have landed in "late 2018" but that has yet to happen).

The only other option is using various "image builders" such as https://github.com/hartwork/image-bootstrap but it's unclear how good those images are.

Does anyone else here run cloud images (not neccesarily on DO)? Any preferred options for building a base Arch image that can run on DO?

#2 2019-04-18 12:23:05

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Digital Ocean image support

This might be a dumb question, but why not just switch to a provider that makes it much easier?  There are several very good VPS providers that are trivial to run arch on at the same price as DO.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2019-04-18 17:32:04

cmm11

Digital Ocean supports custom images and vultr have for far longer.

#4 2019-05-03 18:52:18

4internetanonymity

I wonder about the build process for images on Linode & DigitalOcean. For example, is there something as robust as this is for generating clean images for EC2: https://git.uplinklabs.net/steven/proje … -image.git

I guess I need to learn the difference between an image and an "Amazon Machine Image" - how the ami-builder process compares with building my own custom images for Linode or DigitalOcean. It would be nice if it were reproducible... And installing Arch Linux manually and then making an image of it doesn't seem like the nicest way of doing it.

#5 2019-05-03 21:48:24

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I'm not familiar with D.O., but why would you need a custom image for Linode?  They'll give you and up-to-date base install "out of the box".

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2019-05-04 09:29:20

ugjka
Website

From their support forum

asb MOD August 25, 2014

DigitalOcean no longer provides an Arch Linux image. This decision was made for a number of reasons, but primarily it was due to lack of uptake by users compared to the maintenance burden of supporting a rolling release distro. Unfortunately, Arch Linux never accounted for more than ~1% of the droplets that were spun up. While I can't give you exact numbers, it's safe to say that it accounted for more than 1% of support tickets.

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

#7 2019-05-04 17:27:03

cmm11

Again, digitalocean offer a custom image option now. Just launch an instance and you can do a normal install through their kvm access.
There's no need to use any scripts or whatever anymore.

#8 2019-05-07 05:23:18

4internetanonymity

cmm11 wrote:

Again, digitalocean offer a custom image option now. Just launch an instance and you can do a normal install through their kvm access.
There's no need to use any scripts or whatever anymore.

Thanks didn't realize this... So no reason to believe that Arch is any less suited for DigitalOcean or Linode than AWS?

ugjka wrote:

From their support forum

Ya that's part of what I was asking... Why would it take so much support to continue providing the image. That is ominous if your one guy trying to maintain your own (Arch) image on their platform... If they can't (or won't) themselves.

#9 2019-05-07 05:58:15

bulletmark

4internetanonymity wrote:

So no reason to believe that Arch is any less suited for DigitalOcean or Linode than AWS?

Vultr offers an advantage over DO for Arch because they include the Arch installer image in their custom ISO library.

#10 2019-05-08 06:09:02

edgy
Banned

Having a choice of 5 distros to run on a VPS but insisting on running Arch on it just as strange as DO not supporting Arch Linux on their VPSes

Didn't even know they used to support Arch Linux images.

Using debian on their VPSes which is good enough.

Board footer