You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-21 01:31:58

wdirksen

Advice for best way to secure SQL dB server on local ArchLinux machine

Hello,

I hope this isn't redundant but not finding anything related in searches... I have a functioning LAMP service running on ArchLinux. I am developing a prototype app in MS Excel which is using a remote SQL database. I've been disappointed with a couple of cloud based SQL server services I've tried and would prefer to use my own server for this purpose. I'm a little afraid to open it up to the outside world.

Would someone have a recommendation of which protocols or tools to use in securing remote connection to my local Arch LAMP server running MariaDB? I'm open to other types of relational DB if there are advantages

Research | Trial | Make Mistakes | Ask questions | Learn | Repeat

#2 2019-04-21 05:45:14

celilo

Re: Advice for best way to secure SQL dB server on local ArchLinux machine

That's not a lot of info to get a good answer. More detail, such as: Are connections coming only from know sources? Are you embedding excel in a web page? What is the scale of your application? Perhaps a basic architectural description would help. What are you trying to accomplish.

The obvious answers without any deeper understanding are:
- firewall your server
- use an alternate port
- absolutely connect over SSL or through some other encrypted tunnel.
- limit the MariaDB application user to only essential functions
- run your  MariaDB instance in a VM, Docker instance or similar to isolate it from other services.

I would take a serious look at alternative approaches before moving forward.

#3 2019-05-05 03:19:56

wdirksen

Re: Advice for best way to secure SQL dB server on local ArchLinux machine

Sorry for the late reply. Your tips are very helpful...

The Excel app is a prototype clinical registration tool which stays on the traditional desktop for now as it utilizes VBA, userforms, etc. Its functioning as intended is dependent on data exchange to/from a central SQL database. So meant to be a quite simple SQL database server with intended connections only to multiple instances of itself.

Last edited by wdirksen (2019-05-06 08:46:01)

Research | Trial | Make Mistakes | Ask questions | Learn | Repeat

Board footer