You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-22 15:06:55

toothandnail

Samba shares suddenly mounting read-only

I don't use samba much, but do need it sometimes. Today I used Thunar to mount a samba share to copy a few files to the samba server. The share mounted without problems, but anytime I try to copy files to the server, I get a failed message stating that the remote file system is read-only. Tried mounting manually using cifs, but any attempt to copy files to the manually mounted share gets me "permission denied" in MC.

This is due to a recent upgrade, but attempting to downgrade samba and smbclient packages just removes all access to the remote samba share - Thunar can no longer see any shares at all.

Problem is quite specific to Arch. I have Manjaro installed on an older laptop. Even fully updated, it is still able to write to the same samba shares. Same with a Debian testing installation I've got on a spare desktop.

This was working no more than two weeks ago, so its a recent update causing the problem - I just don't know which... Is anyone else seeing this sort of problem? Any suggestions as to a cure?

#2 2019-05-22 18:36:40

Buddlespit

Re: Samba shares suddenly mounting read-only

I just updated my samba server and rebooted. My desktop and both Vero's can see and interact with samba. I just tried pulling and pushing a file to the server and everything appears to be working properly. I would say that we need a copy of your journal logs and samba logs, along with any outputs to console and a cat of either your fstab or service used to mount the share. I did have an issue once with versions when samba updated to 4.10.

#3 2019-05-26 19:58:04

toothandnail

Buddlespit wrote:

I just updated my samba server and rebooted. My desktop and both Vero's can see and interact with samba. I just tried pulling and pushing a file to the server and everything appears to be working properly. I would say that we need a copy of your journal logs and samba logs, along with any outputs to console and a cat of either your fstab or service used to mount the share. I did have an issue once with versions when samba updated to 4.10.

Sorry for the slow reply - fighting with DKIM/DMARC settings on a CentOS mail server.

I've managed to narrow the problem down a bit. First, the Samba server I was talking about was on either an Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 server. My problem was with desktop Arch (running XFCE) - anytime I mounted a share from either server, Thunar was complaining that the share was read-only. Since then, I've tried smclient to mount the same shares, and can both read and write to the share. I've also used a manual mount using cifs, which worked, though it needed the uid= argument added, other wise it came up with permission denied errors.

As a final test, I've just installed pcmanfm and used it to connect to the shares on my own server. It doesn't have the same problem - I've been able to write files to the share without problems. I assume that it uses the same backend services for this as Thunar, so I'm coming to the conclusion that something has got broken in a recent version of Thunar. I'll do some checking on when Thunar was last updated and see if rolling it back gets round the problem.

So, problem isn't solved, but I've at least got some idea of what is going on now....

#4 2019-06-04 14:17:11

idme

Looks like this has been fixed in Thunar on 27/05.

https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15367 for the bug report

https://git.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/commit … e41eb55047 for the relevant commit

Looks like the problem is libsmbclient not setting some property or the other.

Board footer