You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-05 20:36:57

dcbdbis

[SOLVED] USB 3, Mouse Polling

Good Afternoon All,

Back on Arch. Fully up to date.

I have issues with missed mice click events. Both the keyboard and mouse are wired devices. Neither are wireless.

I have an ASRock TaiChi X399. All USB ports on the MB are USB 3. I have followed this wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mo … t_changing

I cannot change the polling rate at all. I have changed mice and the issue remains. I have used the kernel line in grub to change the rate, and "evhz" reports no change.

In particular the wiki talks about blacklisting the xhci-hcd module which I have done. When I do - I loose my keyboard and mouse, and even if I switch around where they are plugged in, I do not get them back. This forces the power-switch tap to initiate a shutdown. As I am modifying the grub line - the changes are not permanent and no harm comes to my system upon the next reboot.

Shutting down the xhci driver in BIOS makes my keyboard and mouse unrecoverable, and I have to use a PS/2 keyboard to get back into the bios and turn the USB3 option back on.

I don't see anywhere in the kernel config where there is a polling rate setting. The missed mouse clicks are driving me nuts. I code for a living and I use KVM a lot. The clicks don't get better or worse in KVM. They are now a downright nuisance.

I am not blaming linux in any way - I am suspicious of my particular MB. I am hoping for a way around the issue before I go spend $$ on hardware.

Is there something else I can try before I go purchase and install a USB 2 PCI-E adapter?

Thank you for your assistance,

Dave

Last edited by dcbdbis (2019-06-05 21:07:08)

#2 2019-06-05 20:59:18

Omar007

Re: [SOLVED] USB 3, Mouse Polling

#3 2019-06-05 21:04:12

euromatlox

I don't know if it's the same thing, but suddenly my laptop Lenovo T440s, Arch Linux in use (latest release), stopped working with mouse. Keyboard seems to work ok. I have a USB-adapter with PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports, to connect my wired PS/2 keyboard and wired PS/2 mouse. I tried different mouses, no help. Temporary the problem is solved by disconnecting PS/2 mouse and use a wired USB mouse (Samsung Pleomax) instead. If I have to guess, something weird with the latest kernel(s) or xorg or other system related software.

I also tried other brand USB adapter (USB-2xPS/2), no help. No reaction to any mouse movement or mouse button clicks.

However my desktop computer, using also that kind of PS/2 setup, works ok.

SOLUTION: I tried the cheapest China made USB-2xPS2 adapter (white color), and it seems to function without problems. I actually remember having some problems with those other China made adapters (black color) when I installed my desktop computer. It has an ASUS motherboard without PS2 connector for mouse. I need PS2 because I use KVM switch, which requires PS2 connectors. In my desktop computer I use motherboard PS2 for keyboard, and adapter's PS2 for mouse (adapter's PS2 keyboard connector is unused).

Last edited by euromatlox (2019-06-06 13:27:25)

#4 2019-06-05 21:06:14

dcbdbis

Yep - @Omar007, saw that one too.

<sigh>

I figured it was hardware related.....I'm going to add a PCI-E adapter with USB-2 support so I can fix this.

Thanks for the reply....Just hoping there was something else I could do with my existing hardware.

I did find an article out on the web that modified the kernel-module's source to adjust polling rate. While I do my own kernels...There is no way I am going to tweak the source code. Too much risk of other issues. The kernel devs are way smarter than I am. They have things that way for a reason.

Again, Thanks for the reply.

Edit: This has been going on since kernel 4.19. It is not a new issue at all.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

One more edit. I'm going to plug the mouse into a PS/2 adapter and see if that remedies anything. I'll report back regardless if it works, makes it better, or makes it worse.

Last edited by dcbdbis (2019-06-05 21:13:44)

#5 2019-06-05 21:14:45

Omar007

We've kinda reached the point where the 'disable xhci' is not an option anymore as hardware just no longer comes with an ehci controller to take over.
Which means that if you can't change the polling rate on the mouse itself (e.g. if it has software for Windows to make adjustments and it saves/writes those out to the mouse, that counts, but you'd need a Windows system to do that initial setup then), you're pretty much out of luck (until there is a fix for this in the kernel).

#6 2019-06-05 22:38:21

dcbdbis

PS/2 -> USB adapter ineffective.

FYI

#7 2019-06-08 17:50:24

dcbdbis

Update:

My MB is an ASRock X399 TaiChi. I went into the BIOS and the USB ports were set to "auto". I changed the setting to "enabled". Made no other adjustments. There are hardware settings that are tweakable for the USB 3's for this MB. And while I see the settings on my screen, they are not documented in the user's guide, nor in the online ASRock forums. Googling the field descriptions yields nothing. So I am not going to tweak them further.

The issue is 60-70% resolved. It's frequency has been cut down significantly. Enough so that I am no longer motivated to take apart my system, do the homework to find a supported USB-2 PCI-E adapter, then put it in.

This tells me that my issue is hardware related and possibly unique to my MB. And yes, it is at the latest BIOS rev.

FYI,

Dave

Last edited by dcbdbis (2019-06-08 17:52:49)

Board footer