You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-30 16:01:39

Phasme
Website

[solved][Docker] Container can not write in mounted volume.

I have development platform that use a docker-compose file. In this docker-compose, for one of the service, I mount a local directory as a directory of a container.

myservice:
      image: node:8.1.2-alpine
      working_dir:/bin
      volumes:
          - /home/myuser/path/to/my/src:/bin

This docker-compose.yml file works fine on another computer, but with this new computer, I have a unix rights problem.

When I launch my development platform with docker-compose up -d, the application in my source throws error saying that it can not write in the /bin directory.

If I go in the container with docker-compose exec mycontainer sh, I am able to list the files of my mounted volume, but I can not do a touch toto, I have the error "Permission denied".

My user belongs to the following groups:

tty lp wheel uucp users wireshark docker printadmin

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Last edited by Phasme (2019-06-30 17:37:24)

#2 2019-06-30 17:36:53

Phasme
Website

Re: [solved][Docker] Container can not write in mounted volume.

Ok so I found my problem.

The user I use on my new computer is not the first user created in the system so it uid and guid are 1001:1003, the first user created is 1000:1000. When a the container is ran, the user specified use the uid 1000 so it did not have the right to modify my personnal files.

I tried to force the container to run as an user with the same id as me like it is explained here:

* https://medium.com/redbubble/running-a- … 2e00f8ee15
* https://dev.to/acro5piano/specifying-us … docker-i2e

for example in my docker-compose:

# THIS BIT!!!1!
    user: ${CURRENT_UID}

and using this command : CURRENT_UID=$(id -u):$(id -g) docker-compose up but without success.

So I changed the owner of my mounted directory

previously with user1:grp1 -> 1000:1000 and user2:grp2 -> 1001:1003

my_mounted_directory -> user2:grp2 with the right 755

I did the following command: chown -R user1:grp2 my_mounted_directory and chmod -R 775 my_mounted_directory

now :
my_mounted_directory -> user1:grp2 with the rights drwxrwxr-x

Board footer