You are not logged in.

#6626 2019-08-06 22:28:49

calimero_82

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

hi guys, i know few of arch linux, but i like it.
it s very powerful but also sometimes difficult : i hope to learn much about it!!!!
hi

#6627 2019-08-07 04:01:45

yoyou446

10PinkPanther wrote:
yoyou446 wrote:

Hello everyone,
     I've been using Linux for a couple of years now and for a year and a half as a daily driver. I decided to install Arch a couple of days ago and learned more about Linux in those days than my last year of working with Linux. It forces exposure to parts of Linux that you usually don't have to worry about. I'm just a home user and was used to having everything done for me by the system. It's eye-opening and exciting to realise that there's more to the world of Linux and system administration then 'apt update' type of stuff.

The Arch wiki is a blessing. I'm a hyper organised individual, my bed is always made, my countertops always clean, and my professors get annoyed that they need to read through more comments than code in all of my assignments. I admit that the Arch wiki isn't quite yet to my standards but it's by far the best I've seen; especially concerning scope. It's easy to make documentation for a language like a python or go, but to see it done for operating systems and all of its constituent parts and third party addons and programs is breathtaking.

I have so many problems with my install! Isn't it wonderful! Problems are puzzles, I can work, work, and work some more until they're all ironed out, then make more for myself!

i couldn't help myself but to ask:is arch wiki a blessing or not up to your standards?i'm dazed and confused.

Both; it is impressive but also lacks topic background and summaries. As I said I'm new to Arch, when I click on a hyperlink to a subject I know little about I have to read the entirety of the topic page to even begin to understand what the topic is about. The wiki assumes that when you click on a topic you are already familiar with what it is and only want to know about its implementation. Arch is one of the best learning tools I've come across and the wiki is so in-depth it could almost be a textbook for Linux systems but there are no primers and the introductory texts are barebone.

For example, I somehow ended up on this article https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/E4rat

A noob would have no clue what this is. They would have to read the E4rat page then the bootchart wiki page, then boot optimisation to figure it out as an optimiser. I just see so much lost potential. Just by filling in a little between the gaps it would be publishable (not actually because it needs constant updating but you know what I mean).

#6628 2019-08-07 06:38:27

Awebb

Your standard is not up to our standard.

There is a link in the e4rat wiki page to the actual project. I am glad that this is all, because I do not have the time to read over superfluous information every time I want to know how something works on Arch specifically. If I want general information, I RTFM upstream. A noob is supposed to do exactly what you said: Read the page, read a related page, read even more related pages. This is how you learn. The e4rat page linked in the article is a good example of the old "if you don't understand this, then you have some homework to do".

e4rat ("Ext4 - Reducing Access Times") is a toolset to accelerate the boot process as well as application startups. Through physical file realloction e4rat eliminates both seek times and rotational delays. This leads to a high disk transfer rate.

I do not understand why this is hard for a noob to understand. How much "noob" are we talking here? Doesn't know what "defrag" is?

#6629 2019-08-07 10:15:53

10PinkPanther

Awebb wrote:

Your standard is not up to our standard.

There is a link in the e4rat wiki page to the actual project. I am glad that this is all, because I do not have the time to read over superfluous information every time I want to know how something works on Arch specifically. If I want general information, I RTFM upstream. A noob is supposed to do exactly what you said: Read the page, read a related page, read even more related pages. This is how you learn. The e4rat page linked in the article is a good example of the old "if you don't understand this, then you have some homework to do".

e4rat ("Ext4 - Reducing Access Times") is a toolset to accelerate the boot process as well as application startups. Through physical file realloction e4rat eliminates both seek times and rotational delays. This leads to a high disk transfer rate.

I do not understand why this is hard for a noob to understand. How much "noob" are we talking here? Doesn't know what "defrag" is?

I agree with everything you said.Homework has to be done for sure.I was 36 when I bought my first laptop (I wasn't interested in those kind of things before) and I was windows user just for 4 months before I started using Linux.After short period of time I installed Arch and I've been using it since then.Wiki is just perfect the way it is.Arch isn't hard for those who want to learn.I think it's lazy people who complain about it being hard.Almost every solution for every problem can be found on internet if you're willing to find it.

#6630 2019-08-07 11:01:34

Awebb

jeffoniex wrote:

Hello,

Nice to meet you all smile

Interesting first impression.

#6631 2019-08-08 04:12:45

FaeFeyFa

Hello, humans!
I wish to learn more about using the Linux command line effectively, so here I am. Semi-new to Linux in general, too. Oh well. I'm sure everything will turn out alright and nothing bad will happen...

#6632 2019-08-08 22:19:16

DracoSentien

Greetings HomoSapiens I am a DracoSentien vampire that when I drink the blood (menses)  given voluntarily by my redheaded virgin grail maidens I attain everlasting live and infinite wisdom through connection through the God-head of the universe. I am humanoid and HomoSapiens may be referred to as Homo as in homogeneous undinstinquished masses and Sapien may jocularly be referred to low cunning where I am fully sentien. The Draconian culture thrives on truth and compassion but homosapiens don't represent that and my kind went through  a 1,000 year elven holocaust started by Constantine and the Roman Church and few of us survive today and where we do survive we are not pure bred anymore.

I started using Linux in 1997 with Redhat (manhattan) or Redhat (Hurricane) which ever came first. Then I installed Debian Slink by downloading it all on 56K modem on a windows partition and then during the install loading the vfat module, manually, and mounting the windows partition then pointing the partition to it. Once inside I had to compile my own kernel just to get things like sound to work. So it can be said I missed easy Linux by a long shot. I am not going to lie : OpenBSD is my favorite Operating System but I bought a laptop , on a whim, and OpenBSD does not support all my hardware.  I used to just buy Lenovo Thinkpads because OpenBSD just works on them but I bought a Lenovo Ideapad thinking OpenBSD might just work on it too but I did not do my research on it first. It's getting harder to research chipsets nowadays it seems.

Anyway, I probably won't be asking for help here as much as some advice which I consider different.

Anyway, I am a general computer expert and my time with OpenBSD seems to have made me a cybersecurity expert too :

http://oi68.tinypic.com/311w5jd.jpg

I'll figure out this forums img  tag system in a few more posts I am tired right now.

Last edited by DracoSentien (2019-08-08 22:31:20)

#6633 2019-08-09 03:47:15

ThinkPad

Stuck with Arch because of the wiki. Incredible resource. It has made me more organized and intolerant to bad information spread elsewhere on the web. I'm Mike.

#6634 2019-08-12 14:21:48

sefacs89

hello ppl
a nice release
with a very nice documentation

thanks for it smile

#6635 2019-08-14 16:42:47

exharris

Hi from the UK. Love tinkering with stuff and decided to give Arch a go. After a weekend spent, and a few failures, finally managed to get working LUKS root partition installation... now a week later set up ssh so can actually use copy/paste to reply to forum question, so can create an account here.

#6636 2019-08-15 03:23:16

TarsolyGer

exharris wrote:

now a week later set up ssh so can actually use copy/paste to reply to forum question, so can create an account here.

I installed Arch in a VirtualBox first and I just typed the answer to the question manually in the browser on the native system. I got it right the second time big_smile

The only way... is all the way!

#6637 2019-08-16 03:42:04

SamuQu

Hello everyone, I was quite a computery kid in my early years, and got pretty confident with windows, but then I was introduced to linux through Ubuntu, I think the livecd from Canonical was the first piece of mail delivered to my name ever. Since then I went on a great journey of learning everything related to computers, though more on the hardware side of stuff.
From Ubuntu I switched to Fedora, and then Korora, but when that project was discontinued, I remembered how Arch was always in the back on my head, postponed for when I had more time to invest in learning deep linux.
And now I have a very outdated system and a brand new ssd to play with.
I hope to enjoy my time here, and to contribute everything I can!

Last edited by SamuQu (2019-08-16 04:42:11)

#6638 2019-08-16 04:01:29

konicm8ker

Hello World!

I've been using linux for maybe a year or two and got into arch a little less than a year ago. Tried a few distros afterwards and always came back to arch linux so I figured I'd explore the community since I love it so much smile excited to learn more about it.

#6639 2019-08-16 17:39:01

alfkrz

Hello everyone.

I'm a worker and PhD student with no computer skills (more than some basics), and of course I need to use a computer daily for studying (research, writing papers and so on) and the usual, playing music, watch some videos, browsing the Internet... I learned the benefits of GNU/Linux systems some years ago, and I've been using some other distros (Ubuntu, Debian, Manjaro... you name it) until some months ago I decided to try and take the Arch step forward. And yes, for a non-technical user it may seem a little scary... But the Arch Wiki is definitely a blessing, and with its help the installation of the basic system was smooth with no problems at all. Then I got the Xfce desktop, Conky and all the apps I need (not a bunch), tuned and configured the lot to my likings, no problem at all, again, following the fine documentation. I try to follow the official maintenance guidelines and so far it all runs smoothly, with a stripped to the basics, lightweight, responsive and rock solid system. It still amazes me how the Wiki covers almost every topic and troubleshoting you can guess all in a row, so you just need to read that and very likely you find there the solution to your troubles or config needs. So I think that Arch is not just for sysadmins and the rest of the technical people. Anybody with a DIY attitude and the wil to learn can have his or her own working, fine-tuned Arch, all that is needed to know is already in the Wiki. That worked for me, at last.

I just wish I had some technical knowledge so I could contribute in some form, but by now all I can do is give a very deep thank you all, Arch Linux community. Your hard work is very much appreciated.

Last edited by alfkrz (2019-08-16 17:48:07)

#6640 2019-08-18 21:17:28

dbL-BzH

Hi Community !

I'm Da Bep Lec'h, new user of Arch Linux.
I come to introduce myself to you, as it must be done.
I'm 35 years old and I'm French, but not a big grumpy reassure you ...
I've been on different distributions like Ubuntu to start then Mint then Fedora and manjaro before moving to Arch Linux for a long time I think smile
I love this cast and I hope she will love me too;)
Thank you for welcoming me!
Looking forward.

#6641 2019-08-20 10:20:49

quickmist

Hello Arch community. I'm QuickMist. I've been a long time casual Linux user. Recently installed Arch and Blackarch. It's been a steep learning curve so far from my days as a Debian user. I've heard a lot about the excellent forums and wiki at Arch and hope to learn from your experience and share my experiences from time to time. Looking forward to participating in this forum.

#6642 2019-08-20 12:35:04

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

quickmist wrote:

Recently installed Arch and Blackarch.

Which one?  Or one each on their own partitions?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6643 2019-08-20 21:33:39

Temet

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to Archlinux but not to Linux.
I started using Linux around 1999/2000, on KDE 1. Still on KDE.
I was a Gentoo user since around 10 years and I recently got a new laptop (Zenbook, core i7, 16 GB, 512 SSD NVME). I installed Arch on it... I'm too old for compiling again and again big_smile
So far so good. I installed it like 1 month ago and no major complain.

If I have a complain, it would be about AUR. I find that too many packets that should be in default repositories are available only in AUR.
My feeling is that AUR is a great tool, but Archlinux relies too much on it.

#6644 2019-08-21 01:09:47

sevendogs

Good to see a fellow (former) Gentoo user! I too used it for a few years but got tired of compiling. The only thing I compile now is when I build FreeBSD packages on my FreeBSD server. I don't have to wait for those though, I can just kick them off and come back later...

I am only using one AUR package and I always review the code of the build to see where the source is coming from, just to make sure I am not getting something I am not expecting.

I am a KDE convert actually. I started using KDE back in 1998 with whatever version was included in Mandrake at that time. I ended up jumping to the Gnome camp and stayed there until Gnome 3, then left for Xfce4 or any window manager I could get my hands on.  I have only started to use Gnome a couple of times since, and only briefly. I fell in love with Plasma 5 and it is now my favorite desktop environment.

Welcome to the forums and Arch.

"Give a man a truth and he will think for a day. Teach a man to reason and he will think for a lifetime"

#6645 2019-08-21 01:40:13

pirateprentice

Hello everybody. I'm Pirate Prentice. I took the name from a Thomas Pynchon novel.
I am formally trained in CS but Arch is my first linux distro, and I'm particularly novice when it comes to things like system administration.
Looking forward to being a part of this community!

#6646 2019-08-21 08:30:08

schard
Website

pirateprentice wrote:

I am formally trained in CS [...]

I'm not sure what that is, but it's probably not Counter Strike?

#6647 2019-08-21 17:07:52

pirateprentice

schard wrote:
pirateprentice wrote:

Well, I mean I did play a LOT of video games in my college years...so maybe that's spot on! lol

Last edited by pirateprentice (2019-08-21 17:08:22)

#6648 2019-08-21 20:45:46

Temet

Thanks for the welcome Sevendogs smile

#6649 2019-08-22 06:53:05

Awebb

schard wrote:
pirateprentice wrote:

Cyber Sex, obviously.

#6650 2019-08-27 02:11:54

ChefNerdDad

It feels great to be posting on the forum from within my own, freshly installed Arch deliciousness.
For years, I thought the search for the perfect Linux platform would never come to an end, and I would just be stuck in an eternal loop of killing my drive and installing a new distro.
Oh, that was until I sat myself behind that notoriously feared terminal and quickly typed my way into a world of bliss.
It's been a great few weeks so far (yeah, didn't join the forum until now due to anxiety and such, good stuff)
Thank you everyone behind Arch for bringing that tech stability and control I needed in my life.

Board footer