You are not logged in.

#6651 2019-08-27 03:11:56

sevendogs

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

You know, it's funny, I read a lot of comments on other forums about Arch being "bleeding edge" because it. uses the latest packages, but when you read through our forums, it seems there are fewer posts about things being broken, or at least the frequency of posts is less. I personally find Arch to be trouble free for the most part and everything after the install is peachy. Not that the install is hard, quite the contrary, but some folks find it intimidating.

Lean, mean, fast, it works. Welcome to the forums and glad you are having a good experience.

"Give a man a truth and he will think for a day. Teach a man to reason and he will think for a lifetime"

#6652 2019-08-28 06:26:06

Daddy

Arch is so nice!

Last edited by Daddy (2020-12-09 18:02:11)

#6653 2019-08-28 14:16:46

stdcerr

hi Everybody,

I've been using Linux (SuSE, RedHat, Ubuntu) for many years and have now started to look into switching to Arch (as I've intended for years - but it's never happened until, \finally!) mostly because I want  a slim system for to develop software. I'm a console guy and use vim, cscope, ctags, gdb even while X is present too. I'm looking to get more active in contributing to open source projects. I just found out yesterday about findcollabs.com which looks like a good place to start.

#6654 2019-08-29 18:18:44

askg

Hi community,
As a long-time Linux user (gentoo, Ubuntu RedHat, SuSe mostly) I am glad to have found this Back-to-Basics distro, augmented with good documentation and a lively community. I have installed in a Virtual Machine running on my Synology NAS and hope to be doing some SW development there, now that I have retired from work. I am curious to know if there are any Erlang buffs out there.
Best,
Gösta Ask, Stockholm, Sweden

#6655 2019-08-30 06:48:11

painelemental991

Hello, I'm new to Arch Linux and I was wondering what I should do before switching to it. I'm currently using Windows 10, but I have used Linux in the past. I'm kind of sick of Windows so I want to go back to Linux.

#6656 2019-08-30 07:53:26

schard
Website

In my experience, switching to OS B because of being annoyed of OS A does not do any good.
You might have wrong expectations for OS B to work like os A but additionally solve all its issues.
Be aware that Arch Linux is an alternative to Windows, not a replacement.
Trying it out in a virtual machine and getting used to its look and feel might be a good idea.

#6657 2019-08-30 12:06:47

sevendogs

I have used Linux as a replacement for Windows for over 20 years so I do not entirely agree. Each OS is different, yes, but if you want to, you can completely replace Windows with Linux. It really depends on each individual user's use cases: do they play Windows only  games, do they rely on software only available on Windows with no Linux equivilent? I have forced myself over the last 2 decades to eliminate any and all dependencies on Windows by using open source software. The only thing I cannot do on Linux that I can do in Windows is digitally sign PDFs with a smart card using Adobe Acrobat. Fortunately, I only have to do this on my work laptop, so the use case is business only. For my personal PC, Arch is my daily driver.

Agree that VMs are a great way to try out a new OS and I also recommend that approach.

Last edited by sevendogs (2019-08-30 13:26:56)

"Give a man a truth and he will think for a day. Teach a man to reason and he will think for a lifetime"

#6658 2019-08-30 13:26:05

archimboldo

schard wrote:

In my experience, switching to OS B because of being annoyed of OS A does not do any good.
You might have wrong expectations for OS B to work like os A but additionally solve all its issues.
Be aware that Arch Linux is an alternative to Windows, not a replacement.
Trying it out in a virtual machine and getting used to its look and feel might be a good idea.

Yep. Have in mind also this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … centrality

Rules for problems.
Everyone has problems. Animals have problems. And buildings. And cats, and trees.
Problems are your friends. Treat them well.

#6659 2019-08-30 15:53:24

TarsolyGer

sevendogs wrote:

Agree that VMs are a great way to try out a new OS and I also recommend that approach.

My thoughts exactly. First look up the software you'll need on Arch. You can go here to start, most general apps in the Arch repos have Windows versions, too, you can try them, choose the ones you like. Then install Arch in a vm to get the Linux-specific stuff done, like chose your DE or WM, then make a bootable USB to solve the possible hardware issues before nuking your Win10. And when you are comfortable with all these, do the switch.

The only way... is all the way!

#6660 2019-08-31 19:51:50

dkc_orl

painelemental991 wrote:

Hello, I'm new to Arch Linux and I was wondering what I should do before switching to it. I'm currently using Windows 10, but I have used Linux in the past. I'm kind of sick of Windows so I want to go back to Linux.

Hi, here is what I did. I rebuilt a computer that had a dead MB, installed Linux on it and got it working fully before I took down my Windows 10 machine. Having a second fully working computer was very useful. Having a working computer to research things was golden while I installed Arch. I pulled the HD out of the Windows 10 machine and replaced it with an extra I had. And then installed Arch on it. By doing this I can re-install the Win10 HD if I ever want. Hope this gives some ideas. Dale

Love to tinker on electronics, computers, old rotary phones, blacksmith knifes and tools.

#6661 2019-09-05 04:01:01

icqraid

Hello. It is my first time posting but not my first time reading but I think I will try and stick with Arch for awhile.
I've been using Linux for many years. I remember my first distro was Mandrake. I bought a pack of CDs to install it. I remember switching to Slackware after a while and had that with Fluxbox. I really enjoyed it and even compiled my own kernel (to save space in memory) I remember kernel module loading and then . . . unloading. I thought that was really cool. I also tried either Free or Open BSD but it seemed to different for me.
Anyway I think time passed and after using Windows (something) for a while I switched back to Linux. I used Ubuntu until Unity came out then switched to Linux Mint. I recently built a new computer so I installed Arch with BIOS. It wasn't too difficult. I only had it for a few days then switch to Debian Buster, but wanted to get back to something that required more console access than just updates so I thought I would go back to Arch and installed it with EFI and Grub. It took probably six or seven times before I got it down. Most of the time it was something stupid I did in the installation like moving files out of /mnt early but I eventually got it.

When I was younger I remember looking at the Arch wiki and thinking "I have to be careful with some of the commands because Arch is BSD based (so I thought). It wasn't until about 5 years ago that I realized that it was Linux based.

I like to write, paint, and do woodworking.

#6662 2019-09-05 12:42:27

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

icqraid wrote:

... because Arch is BSD based (so I thought)

It's always been linux, and I'm pretty sure it's always used gnu core-utils for the userspace.  But for quite a long time arch used BSD-style init scripts.  Now the default is the very-linuxy and very-un-unixy systemd.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6663 2019-09-05 12:53:54

sevendogs

I think there are only 2 distros (that I know of) that still use BSD style init: CRUX and Slackware. I haven't used CRUX in years though, and I refuse to use Slackware. The thing that differentiates the BSDs from Linux, besides not being Linux at all, is the BSDs are complete OS's, designed as such and not a "sum of parts" as Linux is. Not saying Linux is bad, it is just a collection of different FOSS projects put together by a distribution organization (Arch Linux, OpenSUSE, etc). BSDs are designed from the ground up as a complete OS.

Mildly odd-topic, but I have found BSDs to be fantastic server platforms, but require a tremendous amount of work to be useable desktops. I used FreeBSD as a desktop for probably 2 years but switched back to Linux because more things "just work" without too much fuss in Linux.

#6664 2019-09-06 17:09:51

bbs.avanto

Hello,

Here I finally am. Since 2012 on linux and did my first Arch installation two weeks to go. Nice to meet you all!

Living in the beautiful city of Tallinn in Estonia.

#6665 2019-09-08 14:00:57

regor

Hello all ! I discovered Arch not toot long ago, and have been using this lean distro for home server purposes. I really enjoy the arch, and its documentation. It has everything I need. I am also starting to convert people around me (family and friends), and I install it whenever I get the chance.

#6666 2019-09-14 05:47:13

yggdrasil673

After a decade, I made the plunge and joined the community. I never felt like I had much to add, but after a recent non-booting status (caused by my wife sabotaging an extension cord, and subsequently crashing the machine during a large upgrade), I found myself able to fix it immediately. Just get the bootable USB, mount the partitions, wifi up (if possible) chroot in, pacman -Syyu, and reboot. Amazing. It's the first time I thought, "Wow, I actually did something in Arch". I'm far from expert in many or even most aspects of Arch, but I have been using it for 10 yrs and have run into many, many of the problems you all will, to which many of the solutions I found right here! I hope I can help keep the Arch wiki the go-to place for solutions as it has been for me.

#6667 2019-09-14 17:50:44

jplayarch

I wanted to say that I am happy to join the Arch Linux community here on the forum.
I was testing all distributions I fell in love with Arch Linux, nothing like installing from scratch.

#6668 2019-09-16 10:38:56

cyberpunkrocker
Website

Hello there! A two week old Arch newbie here from Pirkkala, Finland. Although I'm new to Arch Linux, I've been using Linux since about 2000; first Red Hat, then Mandrake, Slackware and for the last ten or so years Gentoo.
I had some spare disk space on my laptop, so I wanted to try out Arch there. I made a very minimal installation, just an Awesome WM, terminals and lots of command line tools. Some minor snatches during installation of additional programs, but nothing I couldn't solve... Although I have to say that at this point Arch's AUR system feels much clumsier to use than Gentoo's equivalent.

#6669 2019-09-16 19:46:10

dietje75

Hi, have tried some basic things with linux but still a noob!
At the moment I only have an old seagate homeflex with Arch Linux Arm (Alarm) which is fun enough to play with

#6670 2019-09-18 18:52:24

ayhon

Hello, I'm Ayhon. I'm a newbie, hooked to the freedom to customize everything on linux. I hope I won't have to be depending too much on the forums.
See you guys around

#6671 2019-09-25 07:44:54

ZzozZ

Hi. I'm Radoslav smile Rado in short. ( I'm not from Russia ! big_smile )
New to arch. And kind of new to linux.

Currently im just messing around with Arch. But i think to make it my main system. I would like to break it many times and build it again and again big_smile

So i will ask allot of question and i hope to not make people mad with some stupid questions. Still trying to figure out how to not lose my self at ArchWiki ^^

#6672 2019-09-25 07:51:20

lokiiart

thanks for Arch....
I used Ubuntu for 8 years, I never think linux is friendly, until I got here. Gnome is awesome, I tried KDE, xfce a little. I like gnome mostly.
anyway, Arch is awesome

#6673 2019-09-25 12:40:17

Kosmas12

I am a new Arch user (Installed 3 days ago). I started using Linux 1 year ago on all kinds of computers I could get my hands on. I always used Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distributions. Actually right now I am typing this in Ubuntu. I installed Arch on a Virtual Machine and I must say I love it!

#6674 2019-09-25 21:27:04

astraadria4ari
Website

Hello everyone,
I am Alex a.k.a Ari, live in Europe work as researcher and do a lot of coding in Data Science (AI and MK) and "experimenting" with operating systems, mostly RedHat OS (left MS Win 2009, one year after it mac, since 2010 full Linux). As core OS for work I use always (no plan for a change for now) Fedora / Red Hat / CentOS or Scientific Linux, but for testing and experimenting I have tried a lot: debian, ubuntu, linux mint, popos, pureos, suse, clearlinux intel, gentoo still testing nix os in parallel to arch. I tried Manjaro, antegros and archlabs, their were ok for probably new linux users, but after many years I am not, I like to play around with the code in my OS so today I said: stop playing with toys, get the engines fired up on the space ship and lets try the arch for real. The forum registration question was fun (and great way fend off trolls & people that are newbies from other arch-like OS), took me few times to get it and I did not even need arch for it.

Live Long and Prosper :vulcan:
Ari

Last edited by astraadria4ari (2019-09-29 19:31:12)

Researcher | Data Scientist | Data Native | Gamer | LinuxER

#6675 2019-09-29 08:11:59

Anarchiste

My turn now tongue !

I'm a french guy (so excuse my english), big fan of Arch, and i'm trying to make everyone use Linux. I had a project to change my high-scool server to Linux with LTSP, but that was refused.
Anyway, Hello Everyone !

Anarchiste

Board footer