You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-23 17:12:50

nomorewindows

Kernel Panic Oops 11 smp_timer

I'm getting a kernel oops 11 followed by kernel panic Fatal Exception in Interrupt.

hrtimer_interrupt

apic_timer_interrupt
smp_apic_timer_interrupt
sched_clock_cpu

I'm also getting random bsod's on Windows.  Maybe the same problem.

I did a memtest some time ago and no problems.

When I unplug the unit from the wall the CMOS clock is lost, so it might be the CMOS battery, but I  don't think that would prevent the computer from running once it gets plugged back in.  I've changed out hardware to see if that's the problem but don't think so.

I am running stock kernel, but when I PXE boot linux-rt it seems to be stable, but that's if it boots.  Maybe if I try a lts it won't crash.

Any ideas?

Last edited by nomorewindows (2019-08-23 17:14:46)

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#2 2019-08-23 17:44:55

loqs

Re: Kernel Panic Oops 11 smp_timer

What is the full text of the panic?

#3 2019-08-23 18:32:06

nomorewindows

loqs wrote:

What is the full text of the panic?

Is there a way for me to grab it?  I'm not seeing all of it on the sceen anyhow.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#4 2019-08-23 19:02:52

loqs

Shift+PageUp but may well not be available after an Oops.
I was expecting the Oops to contain register contents,  a backtrace,  function name or address
(some may well be lost off screen and being inside an interrupt handler might explain some more being lost was hoping there was more to go on)
If nothing is in the journal possibly link to a screenshot.

Last edited by loqs (2019-08-23 19:03:15)

#5 2019-08-24 05:44:54

nomorewindows

loqs wrote:

Shift+PageUp but may well not be available after an Oops.
I was expecting the Oops to contain register contents,  a backtrace,  function name or address
(some may well be lost off screen and being inside an interrupt handler might explain some more being lost was hoping there was more to go on)
If nothing is in the journal possibly link to a screenshot.

I caught function names on the screen in the first post...but yeah...doubt I'm seeing all of it.
It would possibly give a clue about what is going on.

Something about smp, hrtimer, and apic.  But deciding what is having a problem...

Hrtimer is high resolution timer

Apic Advanced programmable Interrupt Controller...possibly an IRQ conflict with something but hasn't been a problem before...but something similar is trying to be said in the random BSODs on windows one time it's a network driver, next time it's a file system driver, next time...

smp is tied to multiple processors and sometimes tied to apic...so don't know what is going on there.

Maybe it's having a problem managing the swapping between processors for some reason.

Changing the power supply might be the next thing to try.  Pulled just about all the hardware out and still a problem.

Last edited by nomorewindows (2019-08-24 05:53:31)

Look ma, no mouse.

#6 2019-08-24 17:30:05

nomorewindows

It locked on a PXE boot, so scratch that.  And it was a rt kernel, not stock, so kernel is out (most likely and because it crashes under windows just the same).

Didn't get any messages this time (on the wrong tty).

Memory test would lock up in the same place if I used smp mode, but would run in single processor only and pass the memory.

Last edited by nomorewindows (2019-08-24 17:43:29)

Look ma, no mouse.

#7 2019-09-05 19:49:01

nomorewindows

It probably wouldn't help to give some help to show the BSODs (from bluescreenview) since they are so random, as Linux seems to give at least a consistent oops messages.

I thought the machine was running for a few days without problem but in fact it rebooted into Windows and stayed at the login screen and then when I finally log in it tells me I BSODed.  Oh wait...5 BSODs in a single day...whoa.

Last edited by nomorewindows (2019-09-05 19:50:44)

Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer