You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-18 13:31:02

SpaceManJones

[SOLVED] Adding software to usb pre-installation

Hi all,

I'm not brand new to linux as I've been using Fedora for about 2 years, but I'm completely new to Arch.

While going through the installation process I discovered that there is no driver for my network card currently in support. My laptop is using Realtek model rtl8821ce doesn't appear to be on the list of supported cards. I did however find an ongoing project to support this. So I think at this point my options are either try using `ndiswrapper` or see if I can build this driver and install it.

The problem with this however is that these are not on my live usb and I obviously don't have internet access when booted into the usb to download them. So I'm wondering, are there any other options for adding this software?

Thanks!

Last edited by SpaceManJones (2019-09-25 13:43:15)

#2 2019-09-18 13:42:25

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Adding software to usb pre-installation

An easier route might be to USB tether a smart phone for the purpose of the installation. 
When tethered, a phone shows up as a wired interface.  Just run dhcpcd once it is tethered and you should be good to go.

The answer to your initial question is here : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archiso

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2019-09-18 15:26:01

Slithery
Administrator

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2019-09-25 13:39:32

SpaceManJones

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for the delayed response.

Tethering my phone didn't prove necessary as I was able to connect to my network via ethernet and complete the installation. From there I was able to install a working driver.

Best

#5 2019-09-25 13:40:12

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] (edit the title of your first post).

Board footer