You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-22 13:33:49

sihker

Can boot live CD usb key but cannot boot installed key.

I have a Samsung laptop, which due to BIOS bug is locked, so I cannot change boot to uefi or change boot sequence. I can boot with Live CD usb key without problems. I can install the system to hard drive and tried to use different usb key as boot partition with mbr, main partition hdd. Installed grub (not legacy), but system does not boot.
So my question is, what settings does the live cd use? Is it grub-legacy? Can I somehow modify live cd after boot, so it would mount hdd and usb key is only used for boot. Laptop post screen is unhelpful, as only options after boot are recovery or enter bios, neither is working big_smile

I appreciate Your help with this nightmare.

#2 2019-09-22 13:37:22

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Can boot live CD usb key but cannot boot installed key.

sihker wrote:

but system does not boot.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2019-09-22 13:45:05

sihker

Fair guv. But I was hoping to install same boot loader, as Live CD.As I cannot get dmesg from not booter, I can post live CD dmesg. Would this be of any help? Should I repost install guide and grub guide for i386?

#4 2019-09-22 13:53:18

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

What?  I'm saying you need to tell us about the actual problem.  What does "does not boot" mean?  What error message do you get?  At what stage in the boot process does it fail?

sihker wrote:

Should I repost install guide and grub guide for i386?

Ah, no.  If you are not using the installation guide from our wiki, you are not using arch and should seek help from your distro's community.  If you are using i386, you are also not using arch.

EDIT: I suppose grub considers modern systems "i386" for it's installation flags.  Just the same, if you are using some unsupported installation guide, we will not be able to help you.

Last edited by Trilby (2019-09-22 14:02:53)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2019-09-23 21:47:39

LaVekkia2

When installing GRUB if you use the flag --target=i386_pc you install it in a BIOS + MBR mode which is obsolete and deprecated but fine if your system does not support UEFI
Note however that using GRUB on a usb key involves a bit of work.
The live ISO uses SysLinux

#6 2019-09-24 08:22:43

sihker

Thank you for reply. I will try with syslinux. I have yet to find a time to retrace my steps and try new installation. Meanwhile I tried with Mint, but this is dead end also, as I find it easier to use command line to have greater power over installation (boot partition and main system on different media).
I will post dmesg, install steps and result. Or at least I hope, I will post.

Board footer