You are not logged in.
So I'm using arch in about a month, and recently got this problem. At the first time error appears during system load, it appears so fast that I didn't have time to read it. A couple days ago I decided to deal with the error and install lts version of the kernel. After installing new kernel I can not boot into a system with a graphical environment (but, honestly, yesterday I miraculously booted into the graphical LTS version).
To somehow fix the error, I decided to boot into the system from the command line, for this I have registered in the GRUB settings "systemd.unit=multi-user.target". After the boot I've tried to "systemctl restart systemd-modules-load.service" - but I could not restart it. Also in "systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service" and "journalctl -xe" I found following lines:
Failed to find module 'vboxdrv'
Failed to find module 'vboxpci'
Failed to find module 'vboxnetadp'
Failed to find module 'vboxnetflt'I've tried to delete the virtual box host package (as stated in one of the related forums) - but nothing changed.
If someone knows how to deal with it, please give me some advices. I will be very grateful for any help!
So, "sudo depmod -a" hepled me to boot in LTS graphical environment! Also I have reinstalled the basic "virtualbox-host-dkms" package to "virtualbox-host-arch". As I understand it, the problem is in virtual box community package after the system upgrade, but the main error is still remains.
To avoid the problem I used this guide https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi … el_modules and disabled automatical loading of VirtualBox modules, but for some reason, after all that I can’t boot into the graphical environment. Like sometimes it turns out to boot and sometimes not, and more interestingly, when the environment loads the keyboard doesn’t work, the interface etc. Now the problem has shifted to the Arch shell.
Last edited by damnblack (2019-09-29 17:02:29)
Offline
So, "sudo depmod -a" hepled me to boot in LTS graphical environment! Also I have reinstalled the basic "virtualbox-host-dkms" package to "virtualbox-host-arch". As I understand it, the problem is in virtual box community package after the system upgrade, but the main error is still remains.
Last edited by damnblack (2019-09-29 12:55:32)
Offline
To avoid the problem I used this guide https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi … el_modules and disabled automatical loading of VirtualBox modules, but for some reason, after all that I can’t boot into the graphical environment. Like sometimes it turns out to boot and sometimes not, and more interestingly, when the environment loads the keyboard doesn’t work, the interface etc. Now the problem has shifted to the Arch shell.
Offline
Welcome to the forum damnblack. Please do not keep bumping your thread with new posts if no one has responded -- instead edit your original post to add more information. If the problem has changed, please edit the title to reflect this.
In addition please read How to Post and Post complete logs for more about how to provide information that may help others help you.
Moving to Newbie Corner.
Offline
Welcome to the forum damnblack. Please do not keep bumping your thread with new posts if no one has responded -- instead edit your original post to add more information. If the problem has changed, please edit the title to reflect this.
In addition please read How to Post and Post complete logs for more about how to provide information that may help others help you.
Moving to Newbie Corner.
Thanks for the help in formatting! I will stick to the rules of the community. Just can not delete my previous messages after adding them to the original post.
Offline
I'm having a hard time understanding anything you've posted. Please be specific. List commands and output.
But it sounds like you switched from a dkms package to a regular package when you switched to the LTS kernel. This is not expected to work. But before we dive into that, lets take a big step back: this is a virtualized system? Is arch the host or guest OS? What OS is the other?
What is your end goal? Did you switch to the LTS kernel as a troubleshooting step, or do you actually want to use linux-lts?
"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman
Offline
I'm having a hard time understanding anything you've posted. Please be specific. List commands and output.
But it sounds like you switched from a dkms package to a regular package when you switched to the LTS kernel. This is not expected to work. But before we dive into that, lets take a big step back: this is a virtualized system? Is arch the host or guest OS? What OS is the other?
What is your end goal? Did you switch to the LTS kernel as a troubleshooting step, or do you actually want to use linux-lts?
I apologize for my inaccuracy, all my problems with graphical environment started after changing the kernel to LTS. In subject forums I read that is better to rearrange the original dkms package to the arch one and did it. My Arch Linux system is in dualboot with Windows 10, and it's the host. My end goal is just to switch kernel to the LTS and deal with the modules loading error.
I actually want to use linux-lts because I read a lot about its stability compated to the original core, and also I have switched to LTS as a troubleshooting problem with virtualbox loading modules.
I just found out that there is a special version of virtualbox modules called "virtualbox-host-modules-lts" for linux-lts, maybe I should install it?
Last edited by damnblack (2019-09-29 17:11:46)
Offline
Ok arch is the host OS, but what is it you are virtualizing? You said you dualboot windows: dualbooting doesn't require any virtualization. Is there some other OS you are running as a guest virtualized under arch?
I read that is better to rearrange the original dkms package to the arch one and did it.
This is incorrect. If you use the lts kernel, you must use the dkms package.
"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman
Offline
Ok arch is the host OS, but what is it you are virtualizing? You said you dualboot windows: dualbooting doesn't require any virtualization. Is there some other OS you are running as a guest virtualized under arch?
I have virtualbox installed in my arch linux, because i thought that I would try other GNU/Linux distros on it.
This is incorrect. If you use the lts kernel, you must use the dkms package.
Ok, now I've installed the dkms version and booted in graphical environment, but system slows down, and almost does not work - maybe because of LTS? In addition, I still have this issue "Failed to start Load Kernel Modules" during system boot - root cause of this thread (Sorry, it was indicated before changing the name of the thread!)
EDIT: I reinstalled the standard linux kernel and all works fine! I think these freezes is specific problem with the lts-kernel on my laptop, so I better stay on linux kernel.
Futhermore, this issue in systemd-modules-load.service dissapeared after reinstalling virtualbox dkms package! So I think initially problem was with incorrect package update which happends sometimes.
Thank you for the help!
If someone else has a similar problem with virtualbox load modules, in my case you need to reinstall "virtualbox-host-dkms" package if you're running in standard linux kernel, marking thread as solved.
Last edited by damnblack (2019-09-29 17:09:04)
Offline