You are not logged in.

#6701 2019-11-03 19:11:21

hagalas

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi!

10 or so years ago I switched to Linux. I did a lot of distro-hopping and figuring how things work. Things did not always work but it was fun as hell. Ultimately, I went back to Windows.
In January this year, I got an old x200s Thinkpad, that did not sit well with newer Windows. Nor did Windows sit well with me. Being fed-up with it all, I searched for a more minimal and user friendly solution and found out about Arch linux.

I installed it on the Thinkpad (only took me full week to get everything right) and never looked back.
The installation was not an easy one for a newbie like me. It took a full week, from morning till evening of reading and trying to figure things out. I spend many hours reading this forum and the Arch wiki. It was well worth the effort!

I do not see any need to try out other distros. Everything simply works and it works well. I love it!
My friend used to make fun of me for using Arch. "Everything works until it does not and then you are in a deep manure", he used to say. Until one day we both found ourselves neck-deep in a similar flavor of manure.
My friend (a far more knowledgeable guy than me, when it comes to computers) resorted to reinstalling everything. He could have solved it, of course, but for him it seemed faster and easier way.
I had The Wiki in my disposal and that helped my solve my problem.

For my fellow new users, I would say one thing only - Use the Arch wiki, read slowly, take time to understand what is written and be brave enough to dig around in your system. Your time and effort will play off!
I would argue that Arch linux is perfect for new users. I know it was for me.

#6702 2019-11-04 15:49:02

h31s

Helloooooooooo

#6703 2019-11-06 07:08:27

trakno

Hell0 ARCH Community smile

Rules changes with rolling updates !

#6704 2019-11-06 11:20:39

jacques de hooge

Hi,

After 30+ years of struggling to tame Windows into some stability, I finally gave up.
No need to go into details, but I can't afford to work anymore with a system that destroys months worth of work by forced OS upgrades.

Apple is too much of a closed money making machine for me, so Linux it would be.

- First I tried Ubuntu, but, though it worked partially, it's still too much magic and to little comprehension for me
- Then I tried Arch, but I could not get X running with my graphics card
- Then I tried Manjaro, which worked partially, but once again was too much magic for me
- Then I turned back to Arch, and after lots of reading I got my nvidea/intel combination up, running KDE plasma

However I can't get the second screen to work, and I need it for my lessons (large touchscreen).
I'll attempt to get some help with that on another thread.

My first impression is that, having started even before CP/M (what was that?), finally I get some control of my computer back.
Still I figure there'll be a steep learning curve.
I am under pressure to use my laptop for production, but I see no other way than bite the bullet.
Wish me luck...

Kind regards to all
Jacques de Hooge
Netherlands

Last edited by jacques de hooge (2019-11-06 11:23:10)

#6705 2019-11-14 17:28:53

Squatch

Hello,

I'm a student studying cyber security. Currently, I'm preparing for the new CCNA exam at the end of February. I'd also like to get my Linux+ and Security+ certifications in the near future. I've studied a lot in a course "Preparation for Linux+ Exam", so I am familiar with RHEL/CentOS. I'm looking forward to starting a career in IT.

I first experienced Linux when I was 16 or so, and playing with Ubuntu on my Windows computer. I'm 22 now, and have recently discovered my love for tinkering, programming, and IT. I decided to try Arch because of the good things I heard about the Arch wiki. I'm very satisfied with it, and am using it every day.

I've learned a lot in just the last week I've used Arch, and am excited to get my feet wet.

Nice to meet you all, hope I can contribute something interesting to the coming conversations smile

Just a monkey with a laptop

#6706 2019-11-14 18:06:58

Andril

Hello from Pembroke Pines, Florida, been using Arch for 2 years and still learning from the friendly and helpful members of the community - IRC and posts that I Google - KISS and Open
Previous distro hopper (Debian, Suse, Red Hat, Fedora, Ubuntu and Solus) staying to roll with Arch

Last edited by Andril (2019-11-14 18:09:19)

#6707 2019-11-16 13:46:02

IanSR

Hello from Taiwan!
I'm originally from the UK, but I work and live in Taiwan.
I started with SuSE in 1995/6. Used it while I working in Australia. Went back to the UK and just got stupidly sucked into the whole Windows environment.
This year, I installed Mint on my wife's PC as she 'just wanted something easy' to use.
My two daughters have Raspberry Pi 3.
My son uses Debian, and now I use Arch XFCE full time.
I have absolutely loved installing UEFI Arch and have more or less full control over what goes in my system.
I love the terminal.
Still learning, but for the first time in a long time, computing is fun!
Regards to everyone.

#6708 2019-11-16 21:51:54

grantaking

Hello from North Carolina!

I'm very new to Arch and to Linux in general, although I have had Ubuntu running on a laptop for about 6 months now.
I am in grad school in a field somewhat related to software development (data science) and have wanted to get more into software development for a long time. Since Linux is such a good environment for coding, and since Arch is a good way to learn linux, I thought I'd give it a try!

#6709 2019-11-17 21:12:02

soymicmic

Hi from Spain, I've been a debian user fro years, but it's time for Arch, so here I am

#6710 2019-11-21 22:24:19

micdnj

Hi!

#6711 2019-11-22 13:59:52

CyanObss

Hello Arch Linux community from central Florida!

I've been using Windows ever since I've been interested in computers. Recently I lost most of my equipment due to some unforeseen circumstances and finally managed to get a little Dell Latitude 3340 laptop. I successfully installed Windows on it but after getting very tired of the "Activate Windows Now" watermark in the bottom right of my screen, I started to look into Linux. A friend of mine suggested this to me quite a few months ago so I thought "Why not give Arch a try? I've been solely using Arch Linux now for going on 3 or so months and it's been a wonderful journey! It's a lovely distro and I'm lucky enough this was the first, and only, Linux distro I've ever used. I look forward to what I can learn from this community and jeez, I wish I would've came here sooner!

Have a wonderful day, whoever you are smile

Fish are the only trustworthy secret keepers.

#6712 2019-11-23 12:09:31

Utilisateur

Hi everyone,

After +12 years on Debian and Ubuntu, I will give a try to Archlinux. I am not really interested by rolling release but rather by simplicity.

#6713 2019-11-24 16:29:55

rockdie

Hi,
I have no knowledge about Linux, but I started do a course from Linux Foundation, and after some YT search I decided to go with Arch,  despite the difficulty many report.
I am very excited, because following ArchWiki step by step, I now have an operating system that works perfectly and I'm looking forward to studying more suggested features.

#6714 2019-11-25 03:10:01

TristanDee

Hello everyone! Greetings from Dhaka, Bangladesh!

My Linux journey started with Ubuntu - back when they offered free installation CDs (a lot of them). I used Ubuntu for some time, but not really as my daily driver, and then Debian for some more time.

I had always been a fan of GNOME. But then around 2017 I guess, I came across an article on KDE Neon and got interested. So, I installed Neon and really loved it. I have since used Neon. And I am happy with it.

Heard about Arch a long time ago but never wished to try it. Heard it was quite hard to install and other such stuff. Just a few days back I was thinking: How hard could it be! I have often faced Linux problems but those have been solved! There are always wonderful people to help!

So, I decided to look up Arch. Read the Wiki, watched some tutorials. And then I tried to install it on a VM. I failed twice, but then I successfully accomplished a working Arch installation! There was a network problem after the installation and I solved it myself!

Now, I look forward to replacing my existing OS with Arch. Some time soon, hopefully.

I will be seeing you people on these forums.

...Our lives are mostly a constant evasion of ourselves.
- TS Eliot

#6715 2019-11-25 15:26:38

Lyff

Hello everyone, been a hell of time!

I'm Lyff, an old new member of this community, it might be my second account(sorry if it is), also sorry my english isn't perfect. smile It's weird coming to this moment after so many years..
I've discovered Linux when I was twelve, did lots of research for a good gnome distro, I found out BackTrack and figured Debian was pretty stable.
For sure, my way aroud Windows95 to Debian wasn't easy, but it was fun to run everything by myself, basically, learning how things work without being restricted by the OS or parents whose always tought I was still running Windows and playing video game like kids my usual age. x)
Then a few months later I found that unfriendly to install Arch Linux, took me a few other months to read the wiki and receive my first portable computer(something like 20GB HDD around 512MB Ram, not the world's best computer but at least it was mine) where I had the pleasure to finaly procede the installation of this wonderful distro.
Linux was even better with this fully customizable distro.. before all this mess happened.

I loved coding with Notepad++ but even if people says that Notepadqq is the same, it's not. Notepadqq lacked on one important setting : the "writing prediction" (you know, writing the first few letter, use the arrows keys to select and enter to go faster).
So I had to run trought wine, something worst.. I couldn't use my precious Notepad++ as the default text editor so I had to go in my files within the Notepad++ interface every time to open my required files which were in an encrypted partition, so the recent files weren't restored launching it.
I still haven't found a solution..

I was thrilled to discover this new community, maybe I would had finish my project by now and run it over the world, or maybe I would had been stuck at some point and probably given up.. who knows.
Anyhow a driver cutted my hopes a few weeks later being too busy with his cigaret and phone to watch the road and drive on his line. hmm
A couple years later, still dream state in my hospital room until I woke up with a body which could't suit my mind anymore with those damn neurological sequelae.
My first portable computer is dead but atleast I'm still in here, somewhere. maybe. at least the part I can remember.

Recently I've been offered a notebook with 32GB SSD(which is in real emmc) and 2GB Ram, big upgrade. but I've lost all those USB stick and CDs where were all of my back up.. dumped to trash.. sad
Sadly I couldn't run the installation following the wiki with this computer, unable to get online wifi unless using bluetooth, no ethernet slot, f***.
I tryed ArchBang Live to see if I could run Arch without troubles, everything but the speakers seems working.
So I made a dd on a USB stick with Manjaro Gnome.. from what I've read it's most likely the same as Arch and it's using the AUR repository, except there's a lot of pre-installed apps.
I'm thinking to install Arch Linux using both my internal SSD(MBGK4GC) and the SD(SC256) card slot card where I use a 256GB A10 SDXC SanDisk card encrypted and a Yubikey.
For now I know it's possible to install arch linux within manjaro terminal, but I have no idea how may react heavy folder like /usr or /var or /opt if they're on a SD card, maybe I should set everything on my 256GB SD card except the /boot.. <_<

すべての出来事には意味がある。 それらのランダムなバグでさえ。

#6716 2019-11-25 15:40:27

SanskritFritz
Website

Lyff wrote:

Hello everyone, been a hell of time!
Anyhow a driver cutted my hopes a few weeks later being too busy with his cigaret and phone to watch the road and drive on his line. hmm
A couple years later, still dream state in my hospital room until I woke up with a body which could't suit my mind anymore with those damn neurological sequelae.

Cycling? I know this all too well...

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#6717 2019-11-25 18:33:58

mcaliandro

Hi everybody.
The reason why I'm here is simple: ArchLinux is the best! The first time I installed Arch was 4 years ago and still using without living with other distributions.
After many years of using Arch without contributing, now I'm joining the community. You helped me in solve a lot of issues, now I feel it is my time. Thanks a lot for your support.

#6718 2019-11-26 01:06:01

CraigD

Hello Arch community. I'm here after spending some time with Ubuntu. It isn't that there was a problem per say with Ubuntu I just wanted to explore what else was out there. Part of the reason for getting into Linux was to teach myself something new. They say you should keep on learning as that keeps the brain young. Since Arch depends a great deal on the user to figure things out I thought it was right up my alley. Also, it can be configured exactly how the user wants it to be. The Arch Wiki is amazing, you can find anything and everything you need with some searching.

I'm not sure how I can contribute to the community but hopefully I'll find a way.

Craig

#6719 2019-11-26 19:56:22

Agave

Greetings Arch community, i am Agave. currently reside in NYC and after much reading and distro hopping i decided to stay with Arch. I am a bartender but recently have been devoting a lot of time into reading & learning Arch. i run i3 and my goal is to learn more and more everyday, i decided to join the community because you guys have helped me a lot in my journey and the more i learn the more i will be able to contribute.

Much love!
-Agave

#6720 2019-11-28 02:09:13

davicb

Seeiouly? You are still sayng hello to each other? In this case a may introduce myself. I have distro hopping since 2004. Here comes my list, try to make in order of first try cause I ended up going to ubuntu many times. Xandros, Kurumin, ubuntu, fedora, opensuse and arch. I am from Brazil. One achievement I had once was to advise an Ausie office to switch to linux on a bunch of computer runing ms. About arch, so far so good. Took me a while to figure out the instalation process. Cheers.

#6721 2019-11-29 03:53:07

Linux-Is-Best

My history with computers started at a very young age.

• Command

• Dos

• PC-DOS

• DR-Dos

• MS-Dos

• Apple Lisa

• Windows 3.1

• Windows 3.11

• Windows NT / Early Linux (pre-distro) to play with once or twice (nothing serious)

• Windows 95

• Windows 98 / Play with Debian and Slackware but never serious. - Prefer the ease of Debian though (Slackware was presumed to complicated)

• Windows 98 SE / Play with Mandriva Linux

• Windows 2000

• Windows ME / First dual-boot with Mandriva Linux but primarily still Windows.

• Windows XP / First dedicated PC for Linux with Mandriva Linux  and later OpenSUSE

• Windows Vista / Second dedicated PC for Linux with OpenSUSE and later Ubuntu. - Tried Arch Linux for the 1st time but presumed to complicated.

• Windows 7 / Dual-boot with Ubuntu. Later would evolve to using Ubuntu Dev.  Fedora also was played with.

• Windows 8 / Dual-boot with Debian Sid

• LInux - The primary computer uses Debian Sid / Windows 8.1 secondary computer

• Ubuntu Dev and Fedora dual-boot / Windows 10 Preview

• The distro hopping -- A point when I hopped from one customized distro to another. 

• Debian Sid

• Ubuntu Dev

• Manjaro

• Arch Linux *

• * A pure Arch Install following only the guides

• * Zen Arch Installer

• * Anarchy Linux Arch Installer

• Fedora

• Fedora Rawhide

• FreeBSD (I know, not Linux - Unix)

• Mint

• Mint Debian

• Solus

• MX Linux

• Deepin

• Mageia

• OpenSUSE

• Peppermint

Which brings me down to my top 3 distros which are

• Debian Sid

• Arch Linux

• Fedora

With a side love and hate relationship with both Ubuntu and OpenSUSE. lol   In my household, we only have 1 final computer running Windows 10.  My primary desktop at the moment (as I type this) is, of course, Arch Linux. smile  But the growing consensus is simply that, Linux is best. cool

Last edited by Linux-Is-Best (2019-11-29 03:56:39)

* Please be as detail as possible in your replies. As if you were speaking with a child.
* It is hard for me to understand sarcasm on the internet. Please try to avoid it.
* I rarely check PMs (personal messages).  If you want my attention please quote me.
* Please remember that experiences differ and opinions are not facts. - Thank you.

#6722 2019-11-29 14:34:16

getimiskon

Hello, Arch community! I'm a Linux user since 2016 and the last 3 months I'm using Arch on both my desktop and laptop PCs and it works fine.

#6723 2019-12-01 16:10:45

grimiandr

Seas öeda! (for non Austrians -> Hi dudes!) I am yet another developer, which I reputate myself still beginner with Arch and Linux in general. I decided to join this community, because I reputate Arch a good starting point to have a own operating system, with nothing more than the basic functionalities and services necessaries, which could be extended with others packages. Let's give it a try smile

#6724 2019-12-09 04:59:21

archifact

Hi Arch community,

I am relatively a new beginner and have some experience from mostly Debian based distros. I have tried some Arch based as well. At last I've got my act together and installed Arch. I am really glad that I took this step towards more serious use of Linux in general and Arch Linux in particular. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums.

greetings,

archifact

#6725 2019-12-14 03:17:33

Auraria

Hello all, new to Linux and my hobbies include doing stuff the hard way, so obviously Arch Linux is the place I want to be.

Long time Windows user. Not a superuser by any means but I was a superclicker for sure. Was upset when they stopped supporting XP but managed to continue with 7 professional while swearing at the Windows 10 on my desktop. Now that 7 is going away I'm taking the leap and ditching Windows altogether. I have a paranoid streak and wish to find a minimalist approach to the little bit of computing that I still enjoy.

Started my dual boot and looking forward to reading the archives.

Cheers!

Board footer