You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-01 22:57:12

hoWlExat

[SOLVED] How to send UDP packets without hanging

I'm trying to implement a port knocking script. I have set up my `iptables` rules to listen for a specific sequence of 3 ports via UDP, and have a script that does the following:

#!/bin/bash

# Knock 1
echo -n "Knock" | nc -q1 -u <remote-host> <knock-port-1>

# Knock 2
echo -n "Knock" | nc -q1 -u <remote-host> <knock-port-2>

# Knock 3
echo -n "Knock" | nc -q1 -u <remote-host> <knock-port-3>

# Establish ssh connection
ssh -p <ssh-port> -i <private-ssh-key> <user>@<remote-host>

I am executing that script on a different machine from <remote-host>. However, the first knock command hangs. I can see the UDP packet come through on a `tcpdump` on <remote-host>, but the second knock never executes because the first command is hanging.

This could have something to do with my `iptables` rules DROP-ing the connections to those ports... This is my first time using `nc`, so it could be a lack of understanding on my part, there, too. My goal *would* be to have the packets dropped, so someone doesn't know they are successfully pinging <remote-host>. It would just be figuring out to get `nc` to not hang, that's the issue.

Last edited by hoWlExat (2019-12-02 06:45:01)

#2 2019-12-02 03:48:03

hoWlExat

Re: [SOLVED] How to send UDP packets without hanging

I built a tool (alternative to my attempts at using `nc`, above) that people can feel free to use for port knocking.
It includes descriptions of how to set up your SSH server, router and client.
It also includes a single script to execute when everything is set up that both does the port-knocking and initiates the SSH connection.

https://github.com/ae33/port-knock

Board footer