You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-12 11:58:49

karna
Member
Registered: 2015-02-02
Posts: 25

Unable to use wifi, start wireless interface

I am trying to use wireless internet in my lenovo T440s. I am trying to follow the wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … n/Wireless
"ip link show" lists the wireless interface:

 
3: wlp3s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

When I try the ip link interface up, there is no message, but the interface stays down:

$ sudo ip link set wlp3s0 up
$ ip link show wlp3s0
3: wlp3s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
$ rfkill list all
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
$ dmesg | grep wlp3s0
[   10.297731] rtl8192ee 0000:03:00.0 wlp3s0: renamed from wlan0

Thus, I have not been able to trace a reson for the wireless interface not turning up.
Do you have any leads on debugging this?

Offline

#2 2019-12-12 12:01:13

Stefan_xyz
Member
Registered: 2019-09-01
Posts: 107

Re: Unable to use wifi, start wireless interface

I would recommend to take a look into netctl.

Offline

#3 2019-12-12 12:13:02

Slithery
Administrator
From: Norfolk, UK
Registered: 2013-12-01
Posts: 5,776

Re: Unable to use wifi, start wireless interface

Wiki wrote:

The UP in <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> is what indicates the interface is up, not the later state DOWN.


No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Offline

#4 2019-12-12 15:15:03

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 20,703

Re: Unable to use wifi, start wireless interface

What happens if you do a sudo iw wlp3s0 scan            ?
Any chance you get a long output that includes your access point information?

Last edited by ewaller (2019-12-12 15:15:22)


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
The shortest way to ruin a country is to give power to demagogues.— Dionysius of Halicarnassus
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#5 2019-12-12 16:36:56

karna
Member
Registered: 2015-02-02
Posts: 25

Re: Unable to use wifi, start wireless interface

Thanks community, good to have multiple suggestions.

1.

Stefan_xyz wrote:

I would recommend to take a look into netctl.

Thanks, I will try that. Seems like a good way to automate the wifi connections.

2.

Slithery wrote:

aur - dotfiles

That seems like useful user customization. Thanks for sharing. Again, will spend some time on these dotfiles.

3.

ewaller wrote:

What happens if you do a sudo iw wlp3s0 scan            ?
Any chance you get a long output that includes your access point information?

Yes, actually I get a list of SSIDs with all the long details. But,

ip link show

is as above and wpa_supplicant also throws error:

$ wpa_supplicant -iwlp3s0 -c wpa_temp.conf
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
nl80211: deinit ifname=wlp3s0 disabled_11b_rates=0
wlp3s0: Failed to initialize driver interface

Offline

#6 2019-12-12 16:40:48

Zod
Member
From: Hoosiertucky
Registered: 2019-03-10
Posts: 636

Re: Unable to use wifi, start wireless interface

You need to revisit post #3.

Offline

#7 2019-12-12 19:08:10

karna
Member
Registered: 2015-02-02
Posts: 25

Re: Unable to use wifi, start wireless interface

You need to revisit post #3.

hahahaha. Thanks, I overlooked something important there.
I was able to resolve my wpa_supplicant troubles: It runs only with "sudo". It fails with normal user command line.
Maybe I need to add to my conf file:

 ctrl_interface_group=wheel 

[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant]
But I didn't try this configutration option yet.

Thanks to those who responded.

Last edited by karna (2019-12-12 19:08:41)

Offline

#8 2019-12-12 22:56:32

Slithery
Administrator
From: Norfolk, UK
Registered: 2013-12-01
Posts: 5,776

Re: Unable to use wifi, start wireless interface

karna wrote:

I was able to resolve my wpa_supplicant troubles: It runs only with "sudo". It fails with normal user command line.

Correct. That is what the # at the start of the commands in the wiki implies...


No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB