You are not logged in.
I am trying to use wireless internet in my lenovo T440s. I am trying to follow the wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … n/Wireless
"ip link show" lists the wireless interface:
3: wlp3s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/ether XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXWhen I try the ip link interface up, there is no message, but the interface stays down:
$ sudo ip link set wlp3s0 up
$ ip link show wlp3s0
3: wlp3s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/ether XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
$ rfkill list all
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no
$ dmesg | grep wlp3s0
[ 10.297731] rtl8192ee 0000:03:00.0 wlp3s0: renamed from wlan0Thus, I have not been able to trace a reson for the wireless interface not turning up.
Do you have any leads on debugging this?
Offline
I would recommend to take a look into netctl.
Offline
The UP in <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> is what indicates the interface is up, not the later state DOWN.
Offline
What happens if you do a sudo iw wlp3s0 scan ?
Any chance you get a long output that includes your access point information?
Last edited by ewaller (2019-12-12 15:15:22)
Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
The shortest way to ruin a country is to give power to demagogues.— Dionysius of Halicarnassus
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way
Offline
Thanks community, good to have multiple suggestions.
1.
I would recommend to take a look into netctl.
Thanks, I will try that. Seems like a good way to automate the wifi connections.
2.
aur - dotfiles
That seems like useful user customization. Thanks for sharing. Again, will spend some time on these dotfiles.
3.
What happens if you do a sudo iw wlp3s0 scan ?
Any chance you get a long output that includes your access point information?
Yes, actually I get a list of SSIDs with all the long details. But,
ip link showis as above and wpa_supplicant also throws error:
$ wpa_supplicant -iwlp3s0 -c wpa_temp.conf
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
nl80211: deinit ifname=wlp3s0 disabled_11b_rates=0
wlp3s0: Failed to initialize driver interfaceOffline
You need to revisit post #3.
Offline
You need to revisit post #3.
hahahaha. Thanks, I overlooked something important there.
I was able to resolve my wpa_supplicant troubles: It runs only with "sudo". It fails with normal user command line.
Maybe I need to add to my conf file:
ctrl_interface_group=wheel [https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant]
But I didn't try this configutration option yet.
Thanks to those who responded.
Last edited by karna (2019-12-12 19:08:41)
Offline
I was able to resolve my wpa_supplicant troubles: It runs only with "sudo". It fails with normal user command line.
Correct. That is what the # at the start of the commands in the wiki implies...
Offline