You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-14 15:48:19

Tharbad
Member
Registered: 2016-02-27
Posts: 333

[SOLVED] NVRM: API mismatch after installing nvidia 440.44

Hi,

I installed nvidia 440.44 and rebooted. On startup sddm crashed. I see the following in the logs:

NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 440.44, but
                                     NVRM: this kernel module has the version 440.36.  Please
                                     NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
                                     NVRM: components have the same version.

modinfo said that all the modules are 440.44.

Had to downgrade to 440.36.

Any idea what cause it?
(This is no related to 5.4.3 no yet in repo)
I'm using nvidia-dkms package.

Thanks

Last edited by Tharbad (2019-12-15 17:08:27)

Offline

#2 2019-12-14 19:30:39

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,405

Re: [SOLVED] NVRM: API mismatch after installing nvidia 440.44

That's quite self explanatory, update your system, you should get nvidia-dkms 440.44-2

Offline

#3 2019-12-15 03:41:39

Tharbad
Member
Registered: 2016-02-27
Posts: 333

Re: [SOLVED] NVRM: API mismatch after installing nvidia 440.44

V1del wrote:

That's quite self explanatory, update your system, you should get nvidia-dkms 440.44-2

If the diff between 440.44-1 and 440.44-2 is that 5.4.3 kernel is now out then it's not the problem I'm having.
But I'll try anyway.

Offline

#4 2019-12-15 04:24:33

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,097

Re: [SOLVED] NVRM: API mismatch after installing nvidia 440.44

Are the old nvidia modules being loaded from initrd?

Offline

#5 2019-12-15 15:38:03

Tharbad
Member
Registered: 2016-02-27
Posts: 333

Re: [SOLVED] NVRM: API mismatch after installing nvidia 440.44

loqs wrote:

Are the old nvidia modules being loaded from initrd?


Yes:
nvidia-drm.modeset=1

Is that incompatible with dkms?

Edit:
I think I found the culprit: I disabled the nvidia mkinitcpio pacman hook when I moved from the nvidia package to the nvidia dkms package.
Which means that the kernel still used the old version.

Last edited by Tharbad (2019-12-15 16:30:18)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB