You are not logged in.
Pages: 1
Hi all,
I have an application that I downloaded from the AUR that won't start. I found this, but I'm not quite sure what @Psylver or @ranjak mean by their responses. Would someone please be able to put this into Newbie terms for me?
P.S., I am trying to open VNC Server but it just doen't open. I've tried checking the logs, and this is what I find:
PM gnome-shell: executing SUDO_LAUNCHMD: gnome-terminal --title 'Enable VNC Server Service Mode' --disable-factory -- sudo '/etc/vnc/vncservice' 'start' 'vnc-x11-serviced'
# Failed to parse arguments: Option "--disable-factory" is no longer supported in this version of gnome-terminal.(Disclaimed: the logs confuse me a bit!) This looks like the correct log messages; it's an error regarding the thing I am interesrted in, I just don't know how to fix this.
Help would be greatly appreciated!
Ever,
jakewilliami.
Offline
There is no magic bullet, you need to figure out why it's not starting then solve the problem. There's no reason to suspect your program is not starting for the same reason that something else was not starting for someone else.
Have you tried starting vnc server from a terminal? What is the output there?
"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman
Offline
Trilby that output could be from https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/ … vnc-server
Offline
@Trilby, I have tried but I couldn't figure out how to. I have done
dbus-launch realvnc-vnc-serverIs this the correct comment to use? (I used it because I am using GNOME). Its output was: Couldn't exec realvnc-vnc-server: No such file or directory. I also tried with
dbus-launch vnc-serverbut got the same message. I'm not sure what the application itself is called or where to find it. I have run
pacman -Ql real-vnc-serverto try and find where it is localed, but it is scattered all over the place. Very new to linux file systems, sorry.
Offline
Don't dbus-launch stuff.
None of the binaries you attempted to run is shipped w/ the package loqs linked, and it's "localed" nowhere.
Try "vncserver-x11" (or any other of the binaries in that package adds to /usr/bin - I've no experience w/ that particular VNC implementation and I do especially not know whether it works w/ a wayland session, so in doubt try to use "gnome on Xorg")
Offline
Thank's seth, that's a good point. I am trying different vnc servers because I am trying to access my arch desktop computer from a laptop running mac os while I am away from home, and I am having difficulties. I'm not sure why, but it's not working. I run vncserver on my Arch desktop, and it seems to begin okay. I then go to connect (see 10:18:48) which seems to work fine, but on my Apple laptop the VNC viewer just shows a black screen. This is my log. This is the first time I've tried using VNC remote desktop.
P.S. thank you for the tip on dbus-launch.
Offline
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 51: twm: command not found
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 54: xterm: command not found
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 55: exec: xterm: not found
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 53: xterm: command not found
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: line 52: xclock: command not foundLooks like your graphical environment on the desktop is not correctly configured , or vnc server starts with default settings for an X session.
for now, install xterm, twm and xorg-xclock on the desktop, then try to connect again.
Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.
clean chroot building not flexible enough ?
Try clean chroot manager by graysky
Offline
Lone_Wolf, okay, that is helpful. I've uninstalled realvnc-vnc-server because when I installed it I had to uninstall tigervnc (so I didn't want any clashing packages). Then I reinstalled tigervnc and reconfigured it. Seems okay from the log file. However, now when I try to connect I get this message: unable to resolve host by name: nodename nor servname provided, or not known... Any idea what could be causing this? It might have something to do with clashing packages?
Offline
This is an entirely separate issue from the thread title. Please read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post
Offline
jasonwryan, sorry about this. I didn't realise how far we've digressed from the original issue! Thank you.
Offline
Pages: 1