You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-22 12:26:56

Nyxlucifer
Member
Registered: 2019-04-03
Posts: 19

Running out of space and need to upgrade

So I was trying to install Spotify and I installed libnette to make it work (and it didn't of course I need to do full upgrade, which is quite large). So I restart PC this morning and found my Xorg gives same error. This is problematic as I could manage some stuffs and free up some space otherwise for full system upgrade, which is hard to do now. So my questions:-

How to know how much space I need for upgrade? Total Installed Size is reported to be 13Gigs (after excluding extra repos) while I have only 9gigs, so I just need 4 more? Or there is more to it? Also does pacman reports it if space is not enough? I don't want things to break later during installation

Any way to get at least Xorg working? Though I think Chromium, Firefox, etc will crash too, but I need to at least free some space

Thanks!

Offline

#2 2019-12-22 12:40:33

schard
Forum Moderator
From: Hannover
Registered: 2016-05-06
Posts: 2,710
Website

Re: Running out of space and need to upgrade

Pacman always also tells the differential upgrade size (for some reason labelled "Net upgrade size") plus checks for sufficient disk space before installing packages. So what is your actual problem?

Last edited by schard (2019-12-22 12:43:41)


Inofficial first vice president of the Rust Evangelism Strike Force

Offline

#3 2019-12-22 15:14:34

shulamy
Member
From: israel
Registered: 2010-09-11
Posts: 469

Re: Running out of space and need to upgrade

stsrt with "Cleaning the package cache"

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman

ezik

Offline

#4 2019-12-22 15:29:38

WorMzy
Administrator
From: Scotland
Registered: 2010-06-16
Posts: 13,675
Website

Re: Running out of space and need to upgrade

Nyxlucifer wrote:

Also does pacman reports it if space is not enough?

By default, yes, it is supposed to, although it's "approximate".

man pacman.conf | less -p "CheckSpace"

For cleaning the filesystem see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … filesystem

For your actual problem, you'll need to share the error messages/logs.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855


Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB