You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-24 14:16:28

Isayp
Member
Registered: 2019-12-24
Posts: 2

[SOLVED] "light" screen brightness issue

Hi all,

My first post here.

End goal: adjust screen brightness using "light" by binding "Fn + up arrow" key to "light -A 5" and similarly for decrease in brightness - "Fn + down arrow" key to "light -U 5" .

Problem: light commands require sudo in front, which prompts to a password if I run the command manually. After this is entered the screen brightness correctly changes. However, this is a problem if I try to bind the keys to the commands, even if I add sudo, as nothing happens when I hit the keys, which is expected since it requires a password to execute.

Question: how can this issue be circumvented? Should I give sudo privilege to the light command, or should that be avoided? Couldn't any solutions on the forums. Many thanks in advance!

Hardware: Dell XPS 9370

Last edited by Isayp (2019-12-24 22:27:29)

Offline

#2 2019-12-24 14:35:48

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 30,525
Website

Re: [SOLVED] "light" screen brightness issue


"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

Offline

#3 2019-12-24 22:27:16

Isayp
Member
Registered: 2019-12-24
Posts: 2

Re: [SOLVED] "light" screen brightness issue

Thanks! Turns out I wasn't in the video group, worked after I added that.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB