You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-05 23:09:55

volker_weissmann
Member
Registered: 2020-01-05
Posts: 71

[SOLVED] Problems with the graphical installation

Hello,

I ran
# pacman -S xorg xorg-server
# pacman -S gnome gnome-extra
# systemctl enable gdm.service
on a (nearly) clean install.
There are some problems:
If I select "GNOME on Xorg" on the login screen an try to login, the screen goes grey for a second and I end up on the login screen again.
If I select GNOME Classic I get the same behaviour.
If I select "GNOME" I can login, but:
- Sometimes I randomely end up on the login screen again.
- I can't launch most of the applications. Among other things, nautilus and gnome-terminal do not launch. Among other things, the calculator, gnome-software  and gnome-settings work.

https://help.gnome.org/admin/gdm/stable … ng.html.en claims that setting the Debug option in /etc/gdm/custom.conf to true will result in logfiles in /var/log/messages or /var/adm/messages but non of those do not exist. /var/log/gdm is an empty directory.

Trying to login with "GNOME on Xorg" three time in a row resulted in the following output of "journalctl -u gdm": https://pastebin.com/f0YS2BQt


SOLUTION:
Make sure, that /etc/locale.conf exists and has a content similar to "LANG=en_US.UTF-8". You also need to make sure, that /home/username exists and that username is the owner of this folder.

Last edited by volker_weissmann (2020-01-06 00:30:25)

Offline

#2 2020-01-05 23:22:59

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,097

Re: [SOLVED] Problems with the graphical installation

Jan 05 23:54:01 yoga gdm[507]: Cannot access '/etc/locale.conf'

Did you follow Installation_guide#Localization?

Offline

#3 2020-01-05 23:46:10

volker_weissmann
Member
Registered: 2020-01-05
Posts: 71

Re: [SOLVED] Problems with the graphical installation

You're right, I did leave that part out. After following that part, it still doesn't work, but I get a different output: https://pastebin.com/dr45gVka

Offline

#4 2020-01-05 23:51:21

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,097

Re: [SOLVED] Problems with the graphical installation

With locale configured is gnome-terminal now launching correctly?
For X please post the full journal for a boot where gnome under X fails and the output of

lspci | grep -e VGA -e 3D

Offline

#5 2020-01-05 23:59:13

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 30,525
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Problems with the graphical installation

Have you installed any video driver(s)?  What is your hardware?  Please post a complete Xorg log.


"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

Offline

#6 2020-01-06 00:19:36

volker_weissmann
Member
Registered: 2020-01-05
Posts: 71

Re: [SOLVED] Problems with the graphical installation

I've installed:
mesa, vulkan-intel and xf84-video-intel
The Output of  lspci | grep -e VGA -e 3D is:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520] (rev 07)
00:13.0 Non-VGA unclassified device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Integrated Sensor Hub (rev 21)
The output of journalctl -b after a failed login with "GNOME on Xorg" is https://pastebin.com/b06NapiN

At line 1770 there is a stacktrace of xorg aborting.

Offline

#7 2020-01-06 00:20:27

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 30,426
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Problems with the graphical installation

Trilby wrote:

Please post a complete Xorg log.


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#8 2020-01-06 00:24:48

volker_weissmann
Member
Registered: 2020-01-05
Posts: 71

Re: [SOLVED] Problems with the graphical installation

I fixed it:

I found the message:
Cannot open log file "/home/volker/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-974.log"
within journalctl -b.

Turns out that not only should you run mkdir /home/username, but "chown username:username /home/username" is required for obvious reasons.

I'm such an idiot.

Offline

#9 2020-01-06 00:27:53

jasonwryan
Anarchist
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 30,426
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Problems with the graphical installation

This is also documented in the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Us … ing_a_user and mkdir is not the correct approach...


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#10 2020-01-06 00:28:00

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
From: .vic.au
Registered: 2007-09-28
Posts: 6,237
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Problems with the graphical installation

volker_weissmann wrote:

Turns out that not only should you run mkdir /home/username, but "chown username:username /home/username" is required for obvious reasons.

Or just use the -m flag to useradd which will create it for you.

Offline

#11 2020-01-06 00:30:20

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 30,525
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Problems with the graphical installation

Neither manually making the directory nor chowning should be required.  The reason they aren't required would be obvious if you had followed the wiki for installing and/or creating your user, which you clearly didn't do.


"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

Offline

#12 2020-01-06 00:34:17

volker_weissmann
Member
Registered: 2020-01-05
Posts: 71

Re: [SOLVED] Problems with the graphical installation

I followed the installation Guide for the installation, but not for adding a user, because I thought I knew how adding a user works.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB