You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-22 21:03:16

webcapcha
Member
Registered: 2019-02-14
Posts: 167

Would you like to critic my fstab file?

/boot          vfat    nosuid,noexec,nodev,async,auto,rw,nouser,noatime 0 2
swap           swap    defaults,noatime 0 2
/              ext4    nodev,async,auto,rw,nouser,noatime 0 1
/home          ext4    nosuid,noexec,nodev,async,auto,rw,nouser,noatime 0 2

System installed on ssd. Ext4 for all partitions
P.S. i removed uuid column because it doesn't make sense in the topic, just for better view.

Last edited by webcapcha (2020-01-22 21:03:43)


Ukrainian

Offline

#2 2020-01-22 21:10:32

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
From: :wq
Registered: 2008-12-01
Posts: 10,734
Website

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

You're missing the file system (ie /dev/sda1 or LABEL= or UUID=)

Offline

#3 2020-01-22 21:17:03

webcapcha
Member
Registered: 2019-02-14
Posts: 167

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

graysky wrote:

You're missing the file system (ie /dev/sda1 or LABEL= or UUID=)

no i don't, as i said i just cut out uuid, because it's just senseless information in the topic. It's just array with letters.


Ukrainian

Offline

#4 2020-01-22 21:18:32

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

Don't bother with noatime, it breaks mutt and the performance difference between that and the relatime default is minuscule.

I think vfat likes slightly different options:

empty@E485:~ $ grep vfat /proc/self/mounts                                               
/dev/nvme0n1p1 /efi vfat rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
empty@E485:~ $

Not sure how critical they are though.

And I presume you don't want to use ~/bin?


Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

#5 2020-01-22 21:30:08

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,083

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

Try "relatime,lazytime" smile

@webcapcha, how are we supposed to critizice your fstab if you don't post it, but random excerpts?
What is the question and point of this thread?
Right off the bat: the presented order is broken - you mount /boot before / - but that's meaningless if the provided tokens don't resemble this fact in your actual fstab.

fyi, the partition UUIDs are not private data. They're random numbers generated on the fly to prevent collisions only.

Offline

#6 2020-01-22 21:35:23

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,091

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

I would drop nouser as it is default when user is not specified.
I Would also drop auto at least for / as the root fs will always be mounted and for the others unless you plan on ever unmounting those filesystems then using mount -a.
I would be wary of async as I suspect that option sees a lot less use than many others and may cause unexpected issues.

Last edited by loqs (2020-01-22 21:36:11)

Offline

#7 2020-01-22 21:38:46

webcapcha
Member
Registered: 2019-02-14
Posts: 167

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

seth wrote:

Try "relatime,lazytime" smile

@webcapcha, how are we supposed to critizice your fstab if you don't post it, but random excerpts?
What is the question and point of this thread?
Right off the bat: the presented order is broken - you mount /boot before / - but that's meaningless if the provided tokens don't resemble this fact in your actual fstab.

fyi, the partition UUIDs are not private data. They're random numbers generated on the fly to prevent collisions only.

Sorry, i'm really don't understand why do you need unrelevant information like uuid or comments, anyway

# Static information about the filesystem.
# See fstab(5) for details.
#
# <file system>             <dir>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
UUID=3ABE-4188                            /boot     vfat    nosuid,noexec,nodev,async,auto,rw,nouser,noatime 0 2
UUID=fb682fe4-0003-474d-b7d0-cdc1951af7e8 swap           swap    defaults,noatime 0 2
UUID=dd2e5502-59c7-4a14-8f1b-dee3d14090e8 /              ext4    nodev,async,auto,rw,nouser,noatime 0 1
UUID=0fe163d7-95a0-4154-b087-25431d03e878 /home          ext4    nosuid,noexec,nodev,async,auto,rw,nouser,noatime 0 2

Ukrainian

Offline

#8 2020-01-22 21:41:18

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,083

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

Because of https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855 and you *still* didn't answer what your actual concern is. Is this an invitation for a general brainstorm?

As mentioned: the order is broken.

Offline

#9 2020-01-22 21:44:48

webcapcha
Member
Registered: 2019-02-14
Posts: 167

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

seth wrote:

Is this an invitation for a general brainstorm?

Exactly.

>> As mentioned: the order is broken.
you mean just move up / line above /boot ?


Ukrainian

Offline

#10 2020-01-22 21:45:03

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

And the swap line should have none for fs_file (the second field), at least according to fstab(5).


Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

#11 2020-01-22 21:49:57

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,083

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

> you mean just move up / line above /boot ?
Yes, the file is processed in-order. systemd might or not "fix" that for you, but you cannot rely on that.

Offline

#12 2020-01-22 21:50:39

webcapcha
Member
Registered: 2019-02-14
Posts: 167

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

loqs wrote:

I would drop nouser as it is default when user is not specified.
I Would also drop auto at least for / as the root fs will always be mounted and for the others unless you plan on ever unmounting those filesystems then using mount -a.
I would be wary of async as I suspect that option sees a lot less use than many others and may cause unexpected issues.

auto and async and nouser are included in defaults option, according to fstab wiki defaults - default mount settings (equivalent to rw,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,async).

The reason why I put them separately it's because I change suid to nosuid, exec to noexec and dev to nodev, and I'm not sure how it will parse when options will be defaults,nodev,nosuid,noexec

If you know, please share.


Ukrainian

Offline

#13 2020-01-22 21:52:51

webcapcha
Member
Registered: 2019-02-14
Posts: 167

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

seth wrote:

> you mean just move up / line above /boot ?
Yes, the file is processed in-order. systemd might or not "fix" that for you, but you cannot rely on that.

Thanks a lot. That is exactly the reason of this topic was created. I'm going through other comments, i'm not advance user, that's why it takes time


Ukrainian

Offline

#14 2020-01-22 21:55:42

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,083

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

man mount wrote:

If you want to override mount options from /etc/fstab you have to use the -o option:

              mount device|dir -o options

and then the mount options from the command line will be appended to the list of options from /etc/fstab.  This  de‐
fault  behaviour  is  possible to change by command line option --options-mode.  The usual behavior is that the last
option wins if there are conflicting ones.

Did you read the relevant wiki and manpages?

Offline

#15 2020-01-22 21:58:34

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,091

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

webcapcha wrote:
loqs wrote:

I would drop nouser as it is default when user is not specified.
I Would also drop auto at least for / as the root fs will always be mounted and for the others unless you plan on ever unmounting those filesystems then using mount -a.
I would be wary of async as I suspect that option sees a lot less use than many others and may cause unexpected issues.

auto and async and nouser are included in defaults option, according to fstab wiki defaults - default mount settings (equivalent to rw,suid,dev,exec,auto,nouser,async).

The reason why I put them separately it's because I change suid to nosuid, exec to noexec and dev to nodev, and I'm not sure how it will parse when options will be defaults,nodev,nosuid,noexec

If you know, please share.

For nouser

man 7 mount wrote:

       nouser Forbid an ordinary user to mount the filesystem.   This  is  the
              default; it does not imply any other options.

For auto I already explained by reasoning,  do you plan to unmount those filesystems then execute `mount --a`?
For async I have always missed than in the man page thank you for the correction.
Edit:
Should also add as all the filsystems will be mounted what point do you see in stopping user from mounting it?

Last edited by loqs (2020-01-22 22:01:02)

Offline

#16 2020-01-22 21:59:58

webcapcha
Member
Registered: 2019-02-14
Posts: 167

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

seth wrote:
man mount wrote:

If you want to override mount options from /etc/fstab you have to use the -o option:

              mount device|dir -o options

and then the mount options from the command line will be appended to the list of options from /etc/fstab.  This  de‐
fault  behaviour  is  possible to change by command line option --options-mode.  The usual behavior is that the last
option wins if there are conflicting ones.

Did you read the relevant wiki and manpages?

Sure I read, even now have opened that page. But please be attentively.

I override at least three options in "defaults" Do you think it still better to use defaults,nodev,nosuid,noexec and have "three conflicts" than my current approach, and do not have conflicts at all.


Ukrainian

Offline

#17 2020-01-22 22:11:06

webcapcha
Member
Registered: 2019-02-14
Posts: 167

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Don't bother with noatime, it breaks mutt and the performance difference between that and the relatime default is minuscule.

And I presume you don't want to use ~/bin?

1. Regarding noatime, I tried to find some tests (in particular on phoronix.com) didn't have luck. But why not, let's get back to relatime option.

2. To be honest haven't thought about ~/bin partition. Even don't know pros and cons of the top of my head


Ukrainian

Offline

#18 2020-01-22 22:19:25

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,091

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

@webcapcha what is the output of  `mount` produced after booting with the fstab you posted?

Offline

#19 2020-01-22 22:23:57

webcapcha
Member
Registered: 2019-02-14
Posts: 167

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

seth wrote:

Because of https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855 and you *still* didn't answer what your actual concern is. Is this an invitation for a general brainstorm?

As mentioned: the order is broken.

By the way you doubted that i read wiki, although i read almost all pages there. But even there https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … ple_layout
/boot is above than / Do you think we may change the order there as well?


Ukrainian

Offline

#20 2020-01-22 22:38:09

webcapcha
Member
Registered: 2019-02-14
Posts: 167

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Don't bother with noatime, it breaks mutt and the performance difference between that and the relatime default is minuscule.

I think vfat likes slightly different options:                                             
/dev/nvme0n1p1 /efi vfat rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

But I have pretty the same. Let's compare:

/dev/nvme0n1p2 /boot vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

First difference is nosuid,nodev,noexec. I added them according to security page on wiki.
Second it's noatime. We already discussed it. As you see, currently I have noatime for every partitions. But will change it according to you notice.
Third is iocharset=ascii. Not sure why I have iso8859-1.

To summarize. First option were added according to wiki, second option is changed. Third, hmmmm

Can't see big difference between you vfat options and mine.


Ukrainian

Offline

#21 2020-01-22 22:50:55

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,083

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

I didn't "doubt" anything, I asked a question. The rest is your interpretation only.

The examples in the wiki (albeit w/ different focus) are there since https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?ti … did=317850 - apparently nobody really cared.

But "man fstab" is vey clear here:

man fstab wrote:

The  file  fstab contains descriptive information about the filesystems the system can mount.  fstab is only read by
programs, and not written; it is the duty of the system administrator to properly create  and  maintain  this  file.
The  order  of  records  in fstab is important because fsck(8), mount(8), and umount(8) sequentially iterate through
fstab doing their thing.

I don't see any point (besides aesthetics?) in the existing order, feel free to change it.

Offline

#22 2020-01-22 22:53:10

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 19,091

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

You were able to create a device node or a suid file on /boot with the options nosuid and nodev not specified?
Edit:
e.g. the following succeeded for you without those options

# /usr/bin/mknod /boot/random c 1 8
# touch /boot/afile
# chmod 4755 /boot/afile

Last edited by loqs (2020-01-22 22:58:37)

Offline

#23 2020-01-23 06:59:32

webcapcha
Member
Registered: 2019-02-14
Posts: 167

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

loqs wrote:

@webcapcha what is the output of  `mount` produced after booting with the fstab you posted?

proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
dev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=4022116k,nr_inodes=1005529,mode=755)
run on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)
efivarfs on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars type efivarfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
/dev/nvme0n1p3 on / type ext4 (rw,nodev,noatime)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup2 on /sys/fs/cgroup/unified type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,name=systemd)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /sys/fs/bpf type bpf (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=700)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/rdma type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,rdma)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/pids type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=32,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=16745)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime,pagesize=2M)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/nvme0n1p4 on /home type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
/dev/nvme0n1p2 on /boot type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=806144k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)

Ukrainian

Offline

#24 2020-01-23 10:08:50

webcapcha
Member
Registered: 2019-02-14
Posts: 167

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

And I presume you don't want to use ~/bin?

Just spent time with reading about ~/bin

@Head_on_a_Stick, You mean because I'm using noexec, nodev options?

Last edited by webcapcha (2020-01-23 10:09:32)


Ukrainian

Offline

#25 2020-01-23 10:21:40

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: Would you like to critic my fstab file?

webcapcha wrote:

Can't see big difference between you vfat options and mine.

For clarity and completion here is my full fstab line for the ESP:

/dev/nvme0n1p1 /efi vfat defaults,noauto 0 0

I don't have it mounted under /boot, I don't have it mounted automatically and I don't really care about security related options because this computer is just a toy for me.

EDIT:

webcapcha wrote:

You mean because I'm using noexec, nodev options?

Yes. I like using ~/bin as a convenience.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2020-01-23 10:23:05)


Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB