You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-04 10:57:22

leshyleshy

(GNS3 Installation issues) Trouble with python-pypi2pkgbuild

Hi everyone

I am trying to install GNS3 on Arch, using an automated script : https://github.com/SirToffski/Arch-GNS3-Helper

Just some background the reason I am doing so is because a few month back I actually got GNS3 up and running just fine, but to be quite honest I kind of forgot how I even did that, I think i just built the packages up from source and installed them with pacman -U at least i know thats the case with gns3-converted and gns3-server, because i still have the .pkg.tar.zx files lying around. (BTW gns3-server, and gns3-converted are installed on my system, its gns3-gui that is the issue) So as I just said the problem was mainly with gns3-gui which for one reason or another didnt compile properly. I forgot what I did to get gns3-gui working at the time but it worked and I had it functioning for some time, then left it alone. A few updates later I noticed that gns3-gui was no longer installed. (Maybe because it was an orphan that got wiped from the system while I was cleaning up or something). In any case I decided to just be lazy and tried reinstalling gns3 with this new script, but it doesnt seem to be working for me.

The problem seemed to be with python-pypi2pkgbuild, which is supposed to convert these python packages into something arch can use. I really want to get gns3 properly installed once and for all. But I think I wont be able to do that unless I sort out whats happening with this python-pypi2pkgbuild thing, and get gns3-gui properly installed as a pacman packages so that it doesnt get wiped during updates.

If anyone is on arch and uses GNS3 any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will accept any solution or work around, if you know a way to get gns3-gui installed without having to use this python converter thing that should probably be fine too.

Thanks!

the Error: https://pastebin.com/v4Vk0ehL

#2 2020-02-04 11:38:47

Lone_Wolf

Re: (GNS3 Installation issues) Trouble with python-pypi2pkgbuild

Why are you using a 3rd party script to build something AUR has packages for ?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNS3

Multi-init booting with apg Openrc and systemd coexisting
Automounting : not needed, i prefer pmount
Aur helpers : makepkg + my own local repo === rarely need them

#3 2020-02-04 11:52:18

leshyleshy

Its because I was having difficulty installing python-yarl-gns3 with the standard yay method.

I thought maybe this python build method could help me get around that.

Last edited by leshyleshy (2020-02-04 11:58:52)

#4 2020-02-04 12:08:28

Lone_Wolf

<rant mode>
Yay itself is an (unsupported) tool to make building aur packages easier.

It's main problems in my opinion are hiding what happens and blurring the line between supported (pacman / makepkg) and unsupported tools .
Using yay in a script makes things worse.

Instead of creating a script, SirToffski could have posted instructions to build/install gns3 .
It's your choice how you want to do things though.
<end of rant mode>

start with checking the aur page for gns3-gui , there's atleast one package that must be rebuilt against latest python before gns3-gui can be build.

I only glimpsed at the gn3-gui aur page, there may be other issues.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2020-02-04 12:09:16)

Multi-init booting with apg Openrc and systemd coexisting
Automounting : not needed, i prefer pmount
Aur helpers : makepkg + my own local repo === rarely need them

#5 2020-02-04 12:18:01

leshyleshy

Alright thank you sir

Almost deleted this thread out of embarrassment, I will have a closer look at the aur pages and try to figure out the best way to fix this.

Board footer