You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-04 10:57:22

leshyleshy

[SOLVED] (GNS3 Installation issues) Trouble with python-pypi2pkgbuild

Hi everyone

I am trying to install GNS3 on Arch, using an automated script : https://github.com/SirToffski/Arch-GNS3-Helper

Just some background the reason I am doing so is because a few month back I actually got GNS3 up and running just fine, but to be quite honest I kind of forgot how I even did that, I think i just built the packages up from source and installed them with pacman -U at least i know thats the case with gns3-converted and gns3-server, because i still have the .pkg.tar.zx files lying around. (BTW gns3-server, and gns3-converted are installed on my system, its gns3-gui that is the issue) So as I just said the problem was mainly with gns3-gui which for one reason or another didnt compile properly. I forgot what I did to get gns3-gui working at the time but it worked and I had it functioning for some time, then left it alone. A few updates later I noticed that gns3-gui was no longer installed. (Maybe because it was an orphan that got wiped from the system while I was cleaning up or something). In any case I decided to just be lazy and tried reinstalling gns3 with this new script, but it doesnt seem to be working for me.

The problem seemed to be with python-pypi2pkgbuild, which is supposed to convert these python packages into something arch can use. I really want to get gns3 properly installed once and for all. But I think I wont be able to do that unless I sort out whats happening with this python-pypi2pkgbuild thing, and get gns3-gui properly installed as a pacman packages so that it doesnt get wiped during updates.

If anyone is on arch and uses GNS3 any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will accept any solution or work around, if you know a way to get gns3-gui installed without having to use this python converter thing that should probably be fine too.

Thanks!

the Error: https://pastebin.com/v4Vk0ehL

Last edited by leshyleshy (2020-04-06 14:12:02)

#2 2020-02-04 11:38:47

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED] (GNS3 Installation issues) Trouble with python-pypi2pkgbuild

Why are you using a 3rd party script to build something AUR has packages for ?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNS3

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2020-02-04 11:52:18

leshyleshy

Its because I was having difficulty installing python-yarl-gns3 with the standard yay method.

I thought maybe this python build method could help me get around that.

Last edited by leshyleshy (2020-02-04 11:58:52)

#4 2020-02-04 12:08:28

Lone_Wolf

<rant mode>
Yay itself is an (unsupported) tool to make building aur packages easier.

It's main problems in my opinion are hiding what happens and blurring the line between supported (pacman / makepkg) and unsupported tools .
Using yay in a script makes things worse.

Instead of creating a script, SirToffski could have posted instructions to build/install gns3 .
It's your choice how you want to do things though.
<end of rant mode>

start with checking the aur page for gns3-gui , there's atleast one package that must be rebuilt against latest python before gns3-gui can be build.

I only glimpsed at the gn3-gui aur page, there may be other issues.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2020-02-04 12:09:16)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#5 2020-02-04 12:18:01

leshyleshy

Alright thank you sir

Almost deleted this thread out of embarrassment, I will have a closer look at the aur pages and try to figure out the best way to fix this.

#6 2020-04-06 14:04:38

leshyleshy

Hello to everyone who may be following this thread.

Just thought I would update you all and offer some advice, if you are new to using the AUR like me hopefully this will help.

So anyway I got GNS3 working properly now after a few minor speed bumps, (Particularly with using yay)
Here are some things I noticed.
1. When re-installing GNS3 using yay whether, its GNS3-gui or gns3-server, just be sure to delete your old shortcuts, as yay recognizes these as belonging to the old program and wont let you install.
2. Sometimes yay will also not allow you to install stuff if it finds dependencies that are already in the file system(weird) in my case psutils was causing me some annoyance, just uninstall it with pip3 and run yay and it will reinstall it and you should be good to go.
3. Thirdly if you did what I did and installed gns3-server like 2 months ago, and came back to install gns3-gui, you are likely to get an error along the lines of:

error line pyline.py etc etc gns3 requires 2.1.4 server not found.

This is because your gns3-server, and gns3-gui are out of sync, just update your aur packages and it should be fine.

Moral of the story; yay can be a headache if you don't really fully know what your doing, just be careful and pay attention and you will be fine.

Thanks

Last edited by leshyleshy (2020-04-06 14:15:09)

#7 2020-04-07 10:01:01

Lone_Wolf

2. Sometimes yay will also not allow you to install stuff if it finds dependencies that are already in the file system(weird) in my case psutils was causing me some annoyance, just uninstall it with pip3 and run yay and it will reinstall it and you should be good to go.

Not weird, having two package managers for one system is asking for problems on any OS .
For archlinux pacman takes care of package management (Yay uses pacman under the hood so doesn't count as package manager) .
pip is also a package manager and should NEVER be used for systemwide installation.

Glad to see you made progress.

Board footer