You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-06 18:21:06

justm3

dhcpcd if_sendnetlink: NETLINK_GET_STRICT_CHK: Protocol not available

Hi all.
I have put together a lemp(nginx-main+mariadb+php-fpm7.3) stack on a  headless arch server (with linux-lts) and running a nextcloud instance(17.03)

systemctl status dhcpcd reports the following:

dhcpcd[394]: if_sendnetlink: NETLINK_GET_STRICT_CHK: Protocol not available
journalctl reports the same with no other issues.
I traced the latter and only found this https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=250855
Yet communication with the server is excellent and there are no hickups of any sort.

I tried switching from dhcpcd to dhclient or networkmanager but then (using any one of the two) nginx complains with this:
"ssl_stapling" ignored, host not found in OCSP responder "ocsp.int-x3.letsencrypt.org" in the certificate "/etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain.mydomain/fullchain.pem"
No matter how much I searched to find something understandable (for my limited knowledge), did not work out.

I am afraid I don't have the knowledge to understand the meaning of these messages, let alone their importance.
The only thing I know is that using dhcpcd (which gives me that report), my server runs as I expect it to.

So, my questions are. Should I pursue a solution of one over the other? Or both?
Or nothing? Because if it works don't fix it.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

#2 2020-02-07 11:33:31

Lone_Wolf

Re: dhcpcd if_sendnetlink: NETLINK_GET_STRICT_CHK: Protocol not available

The error is reported because linux-api-headers supports options that are not present in the linux-lts kernel.

Arch devs and dhcpcd developer don't appear to agree on how to solve this.

Switching to linux kernel would solve the issue completely, do you have specifc reasons for using linux-lts ?
(contrary to popular view linux-lts gets roughly the same amount of updates as linux )

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2020-02-07 13:24:51

rsmarples

It's a non error really.
I've decided to mask the error out for now as it's only a flag.
https://roy.marples.name/cgit/dhcpcd.gi … 45d8325a01

Other header options really change the code path so it's not so easy, but thankfully the LTS kernels have caught up to those headers now.

#4 2020-02-07 15:51:22

justm3

Thanks for the replies.
It is comforting to know that there is nothing to worry about. I am not a clean-state-journal fan.

@Lone_Wolf
Understood.
No particular reason for the lts. I just started it that way. It's a production server, so my motto is the less the merrier.
Maybe I will give it a shot in some maintenance interval.

@rsmarples
Noted and loved the "appease".

Thank you both, be well.

Board footer