You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-12 23:00:16

ism

[SOLVED] Installing rEFInd in chroot

I reinstalled Arch today (havent rebooted yet, no bootloader installed) and I'd like to use rEFInd over GRUB but after running the refind-install script I noticed this warning on the wiki: "Warning: When refind-install is run in chroot (e.g. in live system when installing Arch Linux) /boot/refind_linux.conf is populated with kernel options from the live system not the one on which it is installed. You will need to edit /boot/refind_linux.conf and adjust the kernel options manually. See #refind_linux.conf for an example."

After checking the refind_linux.conf file, and like the warning would suggest, my parameters appear to be pointing to the ISO on my flash drive. What exactly do I need my config file to look like before I can boot properly? Looks like I need the PART-UUID for root and I'm assuming the rootfstype would be ext4? Can't really seem to find a concrete example of what I should be looking for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: Found my UUID and modified my .conf, still getting a kernel panic on boot

unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0 0)

Last edited by ism (2020-02-13 23:20:52)

#2 2020-02-13 07:10:50

nl6720
The Evil Wiki Admin

Re: [SOLVED] Installing rEFInd in chroot

The wiki has an example: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/RE … linux.conf (there's was even a link to it in the paragraph you quoted).
Make sure to read the note and warning below the example.

#3 2020-02-13 23:17:52

ism

Yes I realize there was an example, I read the wiki. I just wanted to confirm that my .conf was correct.

Anyways, I figured it out, I should have run the refind-install script with the --root option since I was installing in a live environment. After running that command I was still running into an issue - the script was trying to create the .conf file in the /EFI/boot directory, which did not exist. After creating the directory and running the script again it properly detected my config and created a working .conf file.

For anyone who might be looking at this in the future and having the same issue, just remember to use the "--root /mountpoint" option when running refind install. /mountpoint is obviously wherever you mounted your EFI partition. In my case, /efi

#4 2020-04-30 07:48:08

chibo

ism wrote:

Yes I realize there was an example, I read the wiki. I just wanted to confirm that my .conf was correct.

Anyways, I figured it out, I should have run the refind-install script with the --root option since I was installing in a live environment. After running that command I was still running into an issue - the script was trying to create the .conf file in the /EFI/boot directory, which did not exist. After creating the directory and running the script again it properly detected my config and created a working .conf file.

For anyone who might be looking at this in the future and having the same issue, just remember to use the "--root /mountpoint" option when running refind install. /mountpoint is obviously wherever you mounted your EFI partition. In my case, /efi

Thanks!

instead of walls of useless text on archwiki, just wondering why it so snob..

Last edited by chibo (2020-04-30 07:51:07)

#5 2020-04-30 15:30:42

nl6720
The Evil Wiki Admin

The --root option is meant to be used outside chroot, but installing a boot loader from outside the installed system is not advised. For one thing, you'll be using the refind version that is on the ISO instead of the newest one that was just installed in the new system.

It's not that hard to edit the /boot/refind_linux.conf file basing it on the wiki's example.

As for improvements to the wiki, everyone is free to propose changes in the talk pages.

Board footer