You are not logged in.
I've came to a weird bug and haven't seen anything online about it. I'm trying to find out why it's doing this but it's hard because It's well above my knowledge scope.
Simply put: Launching steam,lutris or even neofetch completely hangs my pc until I force reboot it.
This is recent (as in it wasn't an issue until I updated) so I'm not sure where to look to begin even fixing this.
However this issue doesn't occur when launching them from nvidia-xrun (as opposed to startx)
My setup is Xorg and i3-gaps on an Optimus based laptop
specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
Nvidia GTX 1050 mobile
There's not a lot of info since Im unsure what to even include since I don't even know where this problem is coming from.
So if theres anything needed let me know.
Offline
This is still a problem and never got resolved. Just trying to figure out how to fix this. If anyone can tell me anything about how to begin the investigation I would be highly appreciative, even if no one truly knows how to fix this.
thanks
Offline
Please don't bump/empty post (see the stickies in the newbie corner)
completely hangs my pc
launching them from nvidia-xrun (as opposed to startx)
You'll have to elaborate on this (nvidia-xrun and startx are not mutually exclusive things at all - do you attempt eg. "startx steam"??) as well as your general optimus configuration.
Also check whether things indeed "completely hangs my pc" or whether you can still ping it or switch to another VT (ctrl+alt+F2 etc.)
Online
Please don't bump/empty post (see the stickies in the newbie corner)
completely hangs my pc
launching them from nvidia-xrun (as opposed to startx)
You'll have to elaborate on this (nvidia-xrun and startx are not mutually exclusive things at all - do you attempt eg. "startx steam"??) as well as your general optimus configuration.
Also check whether things indeed "completely hangs my pc" or whether you can still ping it or switch to another VT (ctrl+alt+F2 etc.)
I've checked all references to "bump" in the stickies..... I found nothing. But even then if no one answers after 400+ views what am I supposed to do? I'm just trying to fix a problem that well beyond anything I've ever faced. Sorry If I just want to fix a somewhat os breaking problem.
By completely hang I mean nothing responds. The keyboard, the mouse and everything (literally).
I cannot enter any TTYs since all keyboard output stops. The only thing that "fix" this is to force shutdown the laptop.
I dont launch apps directly from tty. I launch i3 using my xinitrcs.
Heres my xinitrc
#!/bin/sh
userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/etc/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/etc/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap# merge in defaults and keymaps
if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
xrdb -merge $sysresources
fi
if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
xmodmap $sysmodmap
fiif [ -f "$userresources" ]; then
xrdb -merge "$userresources"
fi
if [ -f "$usermodmap" ]; then
xmodmap "$usermodmap"
fi# start some nice programs
if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ] ; then
for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/?*.sh ; do
[ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
done
unset f
fi#twm &
#xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
#xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
#xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
#exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login
exec i3
and here's my nvidia-xinitrc
if [ $# -gt 0 ]; then
$*
else
i3
fi
Offline
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130309
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ct#Bumping
Do your own research, continue to troubleshoot, post the results, and be patient with the community. If people are reading your thread without answering or offering help, you may try supplying more details, or ask to be pointed in the right direction. Often, the reason for posts remaining unanswered is due in large part to the sparse details in the original post itself, or, the obvious availability of solutions in the wiki, on the forum or on the web, and the community's unwillingness to point out the obvious.
On a further technical aspect, please use code tags, not quote tags for file contents and shell I/O etc.
What do you mean by your "nvidia-xinitrc"? In any event, that#s not a proper xinitrc.
You still didn't explain how your optimus system is configured nor how either of that xinitrc's relates to nvidia-xrun.
Do you try to startx a second server from the running i3 session? In that case, what makes you believe it's running on the nvidia chip?
Did you read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus ?
Please keep in mind that you're sitting in front of your system. You know how it's (supposed to be) configured and what exactly you're trying to do when things fall apart.
We don't and that's the predominant reason why nobody can really help you atm.
Edit: typo, quote indicator
Last edited by seth (2020-02-21 20:12:04)
Online
or ask to be pointed in the right direction
If you read my "bump" it's literally what I did.
If anyone can tell me anything about how to begin the investigation I would be highly appreciative, even if no one truly knows how to fix this.
I couldn't supply more info as I have no idea what info to even include.
On a further technical aspect, please use code tags, not quote tags for file contents and shell I/O etc.
ok but I had no idea about these tags ever existing.
What do you mean by your "nvidia-xinitrc"? In any event, that#s not a proper xinitrc
It is a proper xinit. It's used by nvidia-xrun. See here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nvidia-xrun
You still didn't explain how your optimus system is configured nor how either of that xinitrc's relates to nvidia-xrun.
I did. It's configured using nvidia-xrun.... I'm not sure what else Im supposed to say here....
xinitrc doesn't relate to nvidia-xrun.... Thats what nvidia-xinitrc is for.... xinitrc is for startx which doesn't use my hybrid card at all.
Do you try to startx a second server from the running i3 session? In that case, what makes you believe it's running on the nvidia chip?
Well if you mean starting x from i3 thats litteraly impossible as only console can startx and I would be running it from i3 which isn't a console... If you meant that I started it on a separate TTY then no. I simply end my i3 and restart it using nvidia-xrun.
Did you read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus ?
Of course I did and it led me here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nvidia-xrun
Please keep in mind that you're sitting in front of your system. You know how it's (supposed to be) configured and what exactly you're trying to do when things fall apart.
Thing is I've never encountered this problem with all my previous experiences on linux in general and "what I'm trying to do" is irrelevant since I don't even know where to begin doing anything, I haven't done anything since I have no idea what to do at this point.
Offline
seth wrote:On a further technical aspect, please use code tags, not quote tags for file contents and shell I/O etc.
ok but I had no idea about these tags ever existing.
The code tags you were told about here and used here.
You have already been directed to http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html but you might want to reread it as well as https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post
Last edited by loqs (2020-02-21 21:04:02)
Offline
Delupara wrote:seth wrote:On a further technical aspect, please use code tags, not quote tags for file contents and shell I/O etc.
ok but I had no idea about these tags ever existing.
The code tags you were told about here and used here.
You have already been directed to http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html but you might want to reread it as well as https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post
Fair. I forgot. Sorry. I have a lot in my life going on right now and can't remember every single details about everything.
Offline
or ask to be pointed in the right direction
If you read my "bump" it's literally what I did.
If anyone can tell me anything about how to begin the investigation I would be highly appreciative, even if no one truly knows how to fix this.
And is just a repetition of the equivalent
There's not a lot of info since Im unsure what to even include since I don't even know where this problem is coming from.
So if theres anything needed let me know.
in your original post.
Stop making stupid excuses, read the CoC, act accordingly and focus on your issue if you want this to go anywhere.
====================================================================================
It is a proper xinit. It's used by nvidia-xrun. See here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nvidia-xrun
The point is that you said:
I launch i3 using my xinitrcs.
----------
It's configured using nvidia-xrun.... I'm not sure what else Im supposed to say here....
For instance
startx […] doesn't use my hybrid card at all.
and
I simply end my i3 and restart it using nvidia-xrun.
But also whether you're using bbswitch or anything else to control the power state of the nvidia chip.
----------
Do you try to startx a second server from the running i3 session? In that case, what makes you believe it's running on the nvidia chip?
Well if you mean starting x from i3 thats litteraly impossible
No it's not… not even figuratively or virtually…
But we can record that you don't.
----------
So let me see whether I can guess the actual problem situation:
If you run X11 on the nvidia chip, Steam, lutris and neofetch run fine, but on your standard X11 session on the IGP they don't and instead your system "hangs" (what sounds like a halting kernel).
You don't actually know whether that's startx/nvidia-xrun related because you're not attempting to run startx on the nvidia chip.
You're also not running two X11 servers (one on the intel and one on the nvidia chip) at the same time.
If that's the case, please run startx (on the intel chip) and post your xorg log and the outputs of "sudo journalctl -b", lsmod and "lspci -k" (in that order and prepare for the system to hang on the lspci call)
Otherwise correct my guesses.
Online