You are not logged in.
Hi guys.
I was wondering if archlinux plasma desktop could be started in a docker container. I know very well that docker containers are not born to be virtual machines but to run applications in the background !! I would like to do what KDE Neon did with dockers.
At the moment I can run any GUI app ( dolphin,kate etc) without problems, But I can't start startplasma-x11 in a Zephyr window. Can someone help me? Thank you all
Last edited by archdom (2020-02-26 16:22:25)
Offline
Doesn't work is not an error message what do you get when you try to do it, what fails exactly?
Offline
If I run startplasma-x11, i get this error:
dbus-update-activation-environment: error: unable to connect to D-Bus: Using X11 for dbus-daemon autolaunch was disabled at compile time, set your DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS instead
"dbus-update-activation-environment" ("--systemd", "--all") exited with code 71
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
"xmessage" ("-geometry", "500x100", "Could not sync environment to dbus.\n") exited with code 11
QProcess: Destroyed while process ("ksplashqml") is still running.
startkde: Starting up...
Could not sync environment to dbus.i tried to run "dbus-launch startplasma-x11" goes on but i see a black screen in a zephyr window
Last edited by archdom (2020-02-24 15:00:47)
Offline
I would like to do in archlinux what they did with KDENeon
(https://hub.docker.com/r/kdeneon/plasma).It would be a very useful thing.
Where could I see it? there is nothing on the docker hub
Offline
Well the dockerfile is there you could do what they do. You should probably elaborate on the blackscreen you get when launching a dbus session. Does xorg start in theory, do you get a xorg log, what general system logs do you get in your docker? They also have a source code repository literally in the link. They explicitly disable compositing with a custom kwinrc, did you do that?
Last edited by V1del (2020-02-25 18:23:41)
Offline
With the "dbus-launch startplasma-x11" command it worked.
Only "startplasma-x11" gives me this error:
dbus-update-activation-environment: error: unable to connect to D-Bus: Address does not contain a colon
"dbus-update-activation-environment" ("--systemd", "--all") exited with code 71
Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
"xmessage" ("-geometry", "500x100", "Could not sync environment to dbus. \ n") exited with code 11
QProcess: Destroyed while process ("ksplashqml") is still running.
startkde: Starting up ...
Could not sync environment to dbus.Offline
Yes which is entirely expected, what prevents you from launching a dbus session as part of the docker start up?
Offline
It is simple curiosity. I wanted to understand why Arch doesn't work. Obviously there is a different DBUS management between KDE Neon and Arch. I have to try to replicate this:
https://github.com/mviereck/x11docker/wiki/How-to-connect-container-to-DBus-from-host Maybe creating the same user as the host on the guest and mounting the directories given by the two environment variables XDG_RUNTIME_DIR and DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS as a volume I should access the same dbus session.
Mark as solved
Offline