You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-30 13:24:58

root(mih)

Wifi is not working.

Hello,

after installing arch (with dialog, wpa_supplicant, netctl etc.) I can't connect to Wi-Fi. I am trying to use 'ping google.com', and the error code I'm getting is:

Temporary failure in name resolution.

I tried editing /etc/resolv.conf with the content:

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
NM_CONTROLLED=no

but it's not working.

After using 'wifi-menu' and selecting my Wi-Fi, the error code I'm getting is:

Job for netctl@wlp3s0\x2dWIFI\x20MY_WIFI_NAME.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status "netctl@wlp3s0\\x2dWIFI\\x20MY_WIFI_NAME.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details"

After typing that command from above:

Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/netct10.service; static; vendor present: disabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
Docs: man.netctl.profile(5)

Thank you all for your help.

#2 2020-03-30 14:14:47

seth

Re: Wifi is not working.

That I/O is certainly invalid ("netct10.service" - you probably checked the status of netctl.service, which is wrong - you want to know the status of the service for the specific connection)
Please dump the entire system journal (after attempting to connect to the wifi) into a file and upload that file to a pastebin service:

sudo journalctl -b > ~/journal.txt

#3 2020-03-30 14:23:14

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

root(mih) wrote:

Job for netctl@wlp3s0\x2dWIFI\x20MY_WIFI_NAME.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status "netctl@wlp3s0\\x2dWIFI\\x20MY_WIFI_NAME.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details"

Was the interface set down before you tried that?

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … ice_failed

#4 2020-03-30 14:47:46

root(mih)

seth wrote:

That I/O is certainly invalid ("netct10.service" - you probably checked the status of netctl.service, which is wrong - you want to know the status of the service for the specific connection)
Please dump the entire system journal (after attempting to connect to the wifi) into a file and upload that file to a pastebin service:

Okay. Can you please tell me how to transfer journal.txt to USB drive if it's mounted to /mnt/usb ?

#5 2020-03-30 15:15:11

ewaller
Administrator

root(mih) wrote:
seth wrote:

Okay. Can you please tell me how to transfer journal.txt to USB drive if it's mounted to /mnt/usb ?

sudo bash -c 'journalctl -b > /mnt/usb/journal.txt'

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2020-03-30 18:18:39

root(mih)

ewaller wrote:
root(mih) wrote:
seth wrote:

sudo bash -c 'journalctl -b > /mnt/usb/journal.txt'

Thank you Sir.

Here it is:

journal.txt:
https://pastebin.com/dbzAibvM

#7 2020-03-30 18:24:20

root(mih)

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
root(mih) wrote:

Was the interface set down before you tried that?

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … ice_failed

I tried this it's not working for me. It says that profile wlan0-ssid does not exist.

#8 2020-03-30 18:41:42

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

root(mih) wrote:

It says that profile wlan0-ssid does not exist.

What are you talking about?

Your posted log contains the exact error mentioned in step 1 of my linked ArchWiki segment:

root(mih) wrote:
Mar 30 17:55:57 mih network[667]: The interface of network profile 'wlp3s0-WIFI ZORIC' is already up

So you should set the interface down:

# ip l set wlp3s0 down

Then try running wifi-menu again.

#9 2020-03-30 19:09:16

root(mih)

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
root(mih) wrote:

Your posted log contains the exact error mentioned in step 1 of my linked ArchWiki segment:

root(mih) wrote:
Mar 30 17:55:57 mih network[667]: The interface of network profile 'wlp3s0-WIFI ZORIC' is already up

# ip l set wlp3s0 down

Thank you very much Sir. It's working now.

#10 2020-03-30 19:55:12

root(mih)

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
root(mih) wrote:

root(mih) wrote:

# ip l set wlp3s0 down

But after the reboot it does not work again.  I have to type ip l set again.

#11 2020-03-30 20:01:24

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Please don't full quote unnecessarily, it degrades the readability of the thread. And please don't call me "sir", it makes me nervous.

Which services have you enabled to automatically configure your network connection at boot?

systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled

Using wifi-menu generates a configuration file and connects but it's not persistent across boots.

#12 2020-03-30 20:48:58

seth

HoaS wrote:

Which services have you enabled to automatically configure your network connection at boot?

Spoiler:

Mar 30 17:55:11 mih systemd[1]: Starting dhcpcd on all interfaces.
…
Mar 30 17:55:57 mih systemd[1]: Starting Networking for netctl profile wlp3s0-WIFI ZORIC...

@root(mih), you can use dhpcd along a wpa_supplicant hook to drive your wifi connection, but you'll have to pick *one* service (per NIC at least) to configure your network.
PSA:
from your journal you've also issues w/ nouveau. consider intalling the nvidia blob if you've graphical issues or a "freezing" system
Also there's an ntfs partition so most likely you'll dual boot with windows, so read up https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Du … th_Windows and esp. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Du … ibernation

#13 2020-03-31 08:55:22

root(mih)

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Please don't full quote unnecessarily, it degrades the readability of the thread. And please don't call me "sir", it makes me nervous.

Okay.

Why it would make you feel nervous? I apologize.

I'll make a new reply soon with new systemctl command you sent.

#14 2020-03-31 08:56:28

root(mih)

seth wrote:
HoaS wrote:

Also there's an ntfs partition so most likely you'll dual boot with windows, so read up https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Du … th_Windows and esp. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Du … ibernation

That was my USB with NTFS.

Board footer