You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-29 14:25:29

rc2pc2

Contributing & Getting involved

Gently people of the Arch realm,
after falling in love with Arch in 2015, I've been using it on pretty much all my main devices, along with some of OSs required for working (& gaming) reasons,
and I just can't thank this community enough for all the stuff I've learned with its material, allowing me to craft my own Arch build exactly as I wanted to.

I believe that the time of returning the favour has come, and that's why I am here, writing this post.

I'd like to start a journey of learning while contributing, in which my first objective will be to adopt AUR packages.
That being said, I am a little bit scared by the overwhelming amount of stuff, and I am not sure where I should begin...

In terms of knowledge, I have a fairly good theoretical background on Unix Operating Systems (even if it goes back to a couple of years ago), and I know some Bash and C, they're not my main languages though.

These will be my first steps:

My intention is to invest at least a couple of hours every week for the Arch community so, please, why don't you share with me your experience and all the advice you can give me?

Thanks in advance to all of you!

Last edited by rc2pc2 (2020-04-29 21:49:48)

#2 2020-04-29 14:31:18

Lone_Wolf

Re: Contributing & Getting involved

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2020-04-29 15:04:17

rc2pc2

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Absolutely, thank you!

#4 2020-04-29 15:07:52

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Just dive in.  Certainly don't be intimidated, especially by packaging for the AUR.  For better or worse, it's a very low bar with some real nonsense being submitted.  Of course we'd all like it to get much better, but if you take any time in reading the documents you've referred to, your first AUR packages will likely be above the current average.

Also note that it can be a good idea to post in the relevant forum here with a draft of your PKGBUILD before submitting it and you'll get quick feedback or a go-ahead to post.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2020-04-29 21:51:04

rc2pc2

Trilby wrote:

Just dive in.  Certainly don't be intimidated, especially by packaging for the AUR.  For better or worse, it's a very low bar with some real nonsense being submitted.  Of course we'd all like it to get much better, but if you take any time in reading the documents you've referred to, your first AUR packages will likely be above the current average.

Also note that it can be a good idea to post in the relevant forum here with a draft of your PKGBUILD before submitting it and you'll get quick feedback or a go-ahead to post.

That gives me a little more peace of mind, thanks, I will surely do!
Updated my list consequently smile

#6 2020-04-29 23:50:33

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

AUR is a great place to start.

Idle in some of the IRC channels too - you'll get to see some of the discussion and something might come up that you think you can help with.

Of course contributing to the forums by helping others with their problems is always great! It's how I started and now I get paid 20% extra to be an Administrator! wink

#7 2020-04-30 00:38:29

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

fukawi2 wrote:

... and now I get paid 20% extra to be an Administrator! wink

But make sure you stay active.  You should see the taco-gut this guy is developing!

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2020-05-01 12:04:24

rc2pc2

fukawi2 wrote:

AUR is a great place to start.

Idle in some of the IRC channels too - you'll get to see some of the discussion and something might come up that you think you can help with.

Of course contributing to the forums by helping others with their problems is always great! It's how I started and now I get paid 20% extra to be an Administrator! wink

I'll certainly look forward to doing so, thanks for the tip smile

Board footer