You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-13 09:14:04

CountZukula

[solved] Guidance on Docker + LXD connectivity

Hi all,

I'm setting up a home server for various services and generally fooling around. My network experience is limited though and I'd thought to ask for some specific advice here.

I want to set up LXC containers and Docker containers on the host, living side by side and talking to each other. Separately I'm reasonably comfortable with how they function, however, getting them to talk to each other is more unclear for me. LXD, by default, creates an lxdbr0 bridge on which containers get their DNS and DHCP information from LXD managed services. Docker does something similar, for the docker0 bridge.

What's the best way of combining them? Ideally, there would be a 1.1.x.x ip range, split between 1.1.1.x range for LXD and 1.1.2.x for docker. Each getting their IP's and resolving DNS through their own services, yet still be talk to each other?

Hoping for some enlightenment, thanks!

Last edited by CountZukula (2020-05-13 12:47:02)

#2 2020-05-13 12:40:31

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [solved] Guidance on Docker + LXD connectivity

What do you mean by "talk to each other"?  They each will have their own (local) IP address, so they can "talk" to each other as well as any two physical computers on a network.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2020-05-13 12:46:16

CountZukula

Re: [solved] Guidance on Docker + LXD connectivity

I meant, reach other by IP. I wanted to illustrate my problem but am now seeing that I can ping an LXC container from a docker container. Confusingly and embarrassingly, that didn't work the first time. Thanks for making me try again!

Board footer