You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-15 08:20:10

EdeWolf

How to configure systemd-networkd-wait-online.service?

According to the manpage, one can pass "-i interface" as an argument, but nowhere is written, where to properly place those arguments. Is there something like a config file I may have missed or do we really have to rewrite the unit file (or rather drop in and replace the ExecStart line)?

Is there a more elegant solution?

I am not talking about the RequiredForOnline attribute in .network files.

Thanks

#2 2020-05-15 09:30:57

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: How to configure systemd-networkd-wait-online.service?

I'd assume you'd have to write a drop in. Is the default behaviour of simply stating online is available when at least one interface is available not enough? What is your actual problem? This has XY Problem vibes.

Last edited by V1del (2020-05-15 09:32:47)

#3 2020-05-15 11:16:25

EdeWolf

Thanks for replying. My problem is just a matter of understanding. I would have expected, that being able to configure what defines a network to be online being so central, that is has been incorporated somewhere in a well defined manner. Not in having to basically rewrite [the core of] the unit file. That just took my by surprise.

It's like not having f.e. a resolved.conf and instead having to pass all the arguments to a de facto new unit, as the provided one only uses 8.8.8.8

Really no XY problem here, just learning.

As a side note: The default behaviour is is problematic if you have more than one NIC, but one is not connected - so never or only temporary goes online. Or if you have quite a few bridges on your system going along with dummy and tap interfaces. And the RequiredForOnline= is a bit cumbersome to deal with when having quite a few of .network files. So a single centrally managed configuration makes life easier. And not being able to change this out of the box feels a little sore. Hence my question.

I'll use an environment file then and drop in a replacement

Thanks again

Edit: Typo

Last edited by EdeWolf (2020-05-15 11:17:23)

#4 2020-05-15 12:11:41

V1del
Forum Moderator

If you have a NIC/dummy/tab that is not connected and you don't explicitly configure it with systemd-networkd it shouldn't inherently matter for the success of systemd-networkd-wait-online.service I'd assume that the default behaviour will work for the majority of "standard" use cases. The only way I'd see to do that without writing your own drop-in would be to have a instanced variant of systemd-networkd-wait-online@.service in which case you might want to ask/post on why that's not provided on systemd upstream.

#5 2020-05-17 19:20:52

EdeWolf

An instanced systemd-networkd-wait-online would be really the way to go. At least as an option, but I am aware, that is indeed outside the scope of this forum.
Even though I am having trouble finding a mailing list/forum for upstream. At least freedesktop org does not have an systemd-networkd users list. But that is another issue.

But regarding dummy/tap another (this time) problem occured, but that'll be an own topic as well.

Thanks again for replying

#6 2020-05-17 19:33:01

loqs

For a systemd feature request https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues,  the only systemd mailing list is systemd-devel the description mentions technical user questions are allowed.

#7 2020-05-17 19:54:58

EdeWolf

Thanks! I've found the systemd-devel list, but somehow did not dare to follow that link. Seemed to general and developer centric. But you are right. Thanks for the heads up.

Board footer