You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-03 16:33:42

Thulinma
Website

Intel AX200 Wireless: high receive speed, low transmit speed

Hey all!

I installed an AX200 in my laptop recently (a few months ago), and it's giving me some very strange results.
While performing normally and without any errors (nothing strange in dmesg/journalctl) otherwise, I noticed the down speed is significantly higher than the up speed.
This seems to be regardless of network it is connected to (but much more noticeable on high speed networks!), and regardless of what machine I put the AX200 in (tested in two laptops, identical results in each).

To test speed, I'm using iperf3 against another machine that is connected directly to my access point over a gigabit ethernet connection.
When testing download speed like this, I'm measuring ~600mbps on my home network (powered by a FRITZ!Box 7583, though, as I mentioned before, this effect happens identically on other access points), but only ~20-50mbps upload speed.
The download is also consistent during the default 10s testing window, while upload seems to start out faster (~200mbps) and then almost immediately tapers off to < 2mbps for the rest of the test.

In an effort to increase upload performance, I've started tweaking my MTU and transmit queue length. Eventually I found the optimal speed is achieved with an MTU of 2300 and transmit queue of 100000. Using these settings the speed is an average of ~160mbps, starting out around ~400mbps and then tapering off to 100-120mbps or so. This is of course still a far cry from the 600/600 I should be getting on this link.

With both configurations, the upload also stalls very often, sitting at practically zero for almost as long as a second every now and then, before recovering.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what's going on here, or perhaps similar experiences with this chipset?
While it functions just fine for most daily use purposes, the fact that upload performance is so much lower than it should be has bothered me since I installed it. :S
Thanks for reading, and hopefully others that have this problem can use my experiments to get similar performance gains of their own...?

Last edited by Thulinma (2019-10-05 12:07:08)

#2 2020-05-06 05:52:07

mattelacchiato

Re: Intel AX200 Wireless: high receive speed, low transmit speed

Hi Thulinma!

I am interested in upgrading to AX200 and have also a FritzBox. DId you solve this problem?

Greetings,
Matthias

#3 2020-05-25 18:29:08

Thulinma
Website

Re: Intel AX200 Wireless: high receive speed, low transmit speed

mattelacchiato wrote:

Hi Thulinma!

I am interested in upgrading to AX200 and have also a FritzBox. DId you solve this problem?

Greetings,
Matthias

Hey! Sorry for the delay in responding to this.
Later kernel updates made most of the problems go away.
I still get disconnects occasionally when roaming between two access points in a mesh network (no more than once or twice per day, at most), but overall stability and speed have been excellent lately.

EDIT: I just did some more iperf3 tests on my local network (entire config identical to last time), and I can now get a sustained 300mbps in both directions with hardly any packet loss at all. So yeah, not perfect (as that would be 600/600) but much better than any other chipset has been for me on this network so far!

Last edited by Thulinma (2020-05-25 18:37:02)

Board footer