You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-29 14:13:50

GaKu999

[SOLVED] Baloo and geoclue hang after logout

I use KDE plasma DE and have a systemd-homed user home container.
Found that after a logout the session scope remains alive, assumed a plasma bug, but after some testing I'm not sure anymore...

README: The fix is at the last post, use it until the original issue is fixed.

systemd version 245.6-8
KDE plasma version 5.19.2-1

Will show the output of systemctl status, pruning to the session scope.

After a fresh start and login:

session-4.scope 
           │     ├─ 948 /usr/lib/sddm/sddm-helper --socket /tmp/sddm-auth2d5d5f71-31a8-40cf-867e-97767f08366b --id 1 --start /usr/bin/startplasma-x11 --user gaku
           │     ├─ 994 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login
           │     ├─1000 /usr/bin/kwalletd5 --pam-login 6 3
           │     ├─1001 /usr/bin/startplasma-x11
           │     ├─1035 /usr/lib/kf5/start_kdeinit
           │     ├─1036 kdeinit5: Running...
           │     ├─1037 /usr/lib/kf5/klauncher --fd=9
           │     ├─1050 /usr/bin/kded5
           │     ├─1054 /usr/bin/kwin_x11
           │     ├─1076 /usr/bin/ksmserver
           │     ├─1084 /usr/bin/baloo_file
           │     ├─1088 /usr/lib/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1
           │     ├─1090 /usr/bin/xembedsniproxy
           │     ├─1093 /usr/bin/plasmashell
           │     ├─1095 /usr/bin/kaccess
           │     ├─1108 /usr/lib/kdeconnectd
           │     ├─1114 /usr/bin/gmenudbusmenuproxy
           │     ├─1118 /usr/bin/latte-dock
           │     ├─1122 /usr/lib/DiscoverNotifier
           │     ├─1141 /usr/bin/korgac
           │     ├─1147 /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/firewall-applet
           │     ├─1157 /usr/lib/geoclue-2.0/demos/agent
           │     ├─1162 /usr/lib/org_kde_powerdevil
           │     ├─1165 /usr/bin/kgpg
           │     ├─1175 /usr/bin/kmix --keepvisibility
           │     ├─1256 /usr/bin/akonadi_control
           │     ├─1269 /usr/bin/akonadiserver
           │     ├─1299 /usr/bin/mysqld --defaults-file=/home/gaku/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf --datadir=/home/gaku/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/ --socket=/run/user/60511/akonadi/mysql.socket --pid-file=/run/user/60511/akonadi/mysql.pid
           │     ├─1368 /usr/bin/ksysguardd
           │     ├─1386 /usr/bin/akonadi_akonotes_resource --identifier akonadi_akonotes_resource_0
           │     ├─1387 /usr/bin/akonadi_archivemail_agent --identifier akonadi_archivemail_agent
           │     ├─1388 /usr/bin/akonadi_birthdays_resource --identifier akonadi_birthdays_resource
           │     ├─1389 /usr/bin/akonadi_contacts_resource --identifier akonadi_contacts_resource_0
           │     ├─1390 /usr/bin/akonadi_followupreminder_agent --identifier akonadi_followupreminder_agent
           │     ├─1391 /usr/bin/akonadi_ical_resource --identifier akonadi_ical_resource_0
           │     ├─1392 /usr/bin/akonadi_indexing_agent --identifier akonadi_indexing_agent
           │     ├─1393 /usr/bin/akonadi_maildir_resource --identifier akonadi_maildir_resource_0
           │     ├─1395 /usr/bin/akonadi_maildispatcher_agent --identifier akonadi_maildispatcher_agent
           │     ├─1397 /usr/bin/akonadi_mailfilter_agent --identifier akonadi_mailfilter_agent
           │     ├─1398 /usr/bin/akonadi_migration_agent --identifier akonadi_migration_agent
           │     ├─1399 /usr/bin/akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent --identifier akonadi_newmailnotifier_agent
           │     ├─1400 /usr/bin/akonadi_notes_agent --identifier akonadi_notes_agent
           │     ├─1401 /usr/bin/akonadi_sendlater_agent --identifier akonadi_sendlater_agent
           │     ├─1402 /usr/bin/akonadi_unifiedmailbox_agent --identifier akonadi_unifiedmailbox_agent
           │     ├─1543 http.so [kdeinit5] http local:/run/user/60511/klauncherchhfuW.1.slave-socket local:/run/user/60511/plasmashellEVNhMN.2.slave-socket
           │     ├─1544 desktop.so [kdeinit5] desktop local:/run/user/60511/klauncherchhfuW.1.slave-socket local:/run/user/60511/plasmashellMFtSrn.3.slave-socket
           │     ├─1546 http.so [kdeinit5] https local:/run/user/60511/klauncherchhfuW.1.slave-socket local:/run/user/60511/plasmashellqqyImp.4.slave-socket
           │     ├─1547 tags.so [kdeinit5] tags local:/run/user/60511/klauncherchhfuW.1.slave-socket local:/run/user/60511/lattedockATPjRR.1.slave-socket
           │     ├─1549 http.so [kdeinit5] http local:/run/user/60511/klauncherchhfuW.1.slave-socket local:/run/user/60511/plasmashelloVXUIP.5.slave-socket
           │     ├─1551 file.so [kdeinit5] file local:/run/user/60511/klauncherchhfuW.1.slave-socket local:/run/user/60511/kio_desktopAsbitL.1.slave-socket
           │     ├─1552 http.so [kdeinit5] https local:/run/user/60511/klauncherchhfuW.1.slave-socket local:/run/user/60511/plasmashellEenHbO.6.slave-socket
           │     ├─1564 file.so [kdeinit5] file local:/run/user/60511/klauncherchhfuW.1.slave-socket local:/run/user/60511/lattedockVzzusa.2.slave-socket
           │     ├─1565 file.so [kdeinit5] file local:/run/user/60511/klauncherchhfuW.1.slave-socket local:/run/user/60511/lattedockwKxKkh.3.slave-socket
           │     ├─1569 /usr/bin/kwalletmanager5 --kwalletd
           │     └─1707 file.so [kdeinit5] file local:/run/user/60511/klauncherchhfuW.1.slave-socket local:/run/user/60511/kded5gdjrtV.1.slave-socket

After logout:

session-4.scope 
           │     ├─1084 /usr/bin/baloo_file
           │     └─1157 /usr/lib/geoclue-2.0/demos/agent

The output of loginctl show-session 4:

Id=4
User=60511
Name=gaku
Timestamp=Mon 2020-06-29 11:10:43 EDT
TimestampMonotonic=44626666
VTNr=1
Seat=seat0
Display=:0
Remote=no
Service=sddm
Desktop=KDE
Scope=session-4.scope
Leader=838
Audit=4
Type=x11
Class=user
Active=no
State=closing
IdleHint=no
IdleSinceHint=0
IdleSinceHintMonotonic=0
LockedHint=no

They (mostly baloo_file) have open files on homed, making it remain open after logout.
loginctl terminate-session 4 does not close it, and the journal shows no output (noop).
Now when a TERM is sent to those two processes (plain kill), they do close, after followed by homed.

Also this is with vanilla logind.conf, if I use 'KillUserProcesses=yes', instead of remaining open forever, they receive KILL after a minute, and systemd marks the session scope as failed...

After some search the only thing found was an old systemd github issue related:
systemd-login sessions remain in closing state after `systemctl daemon-reload`

With a shutdown/reboot without the cleanup done by root on tty2, the following issue took place:
Failed unmounting /home on shutdown

But unexpectedly, /home (and the homed) where clean on the next boot...

EDIT: removed an unneeded 'of' on the tittle...
EDIT: fixed the tittle to be more accurate on the...issue, hope I nailed it...
EDIT: added version details
EDIT: updated the tittle for more precision, added the output of loginctl show-session 4
EDIT: removed one of the related threads because it fails to manifest, systemd just ignores that problem and shutdowns failing to unmount /home...
EDIT: minor changes to improve readability a bit...
EDIT: removed the questions because now I'm silently blaming plasma...
EDIT: changed the title, marked as solved and added a readme so Archers find the fix quickly.

Last edited by GaKu999 (2020-07-01 14:37:57)

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#2 2020-06-29 14:43:07

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Baloo and geoclue hang after logout

Please edit the title again and put *something* meaningful in it related to your issue.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2020-07-01 02:25:52

GaKu999

Alright, rolling back systemd with the ARM is horrible, rolling back plasma is even worse 0_o, better to just wait until a newer version comes out to see if this vanishes into thin air as before...
Plasma is also borking X11 during closure with sddm, so I'll remove the questions and silently blame plasma (the bloaty)...

Once this vanishes for whathever the reason I'll mark this thread as [SOLVED]...

My reposSome snippets

#4 2020-07-01 02:40:51

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

GaKu999 wrote:

Alright, rolling back systemd with the ARM is horrible

What's horrible about it?  Did you follow the wiki?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2020-07-01 02:57:14

GaKu999

Trilby wrote:

What's horrible about it?  Did you follow the wiki?

Yes, but it is time consuming due to my bloatyness and sadly had no useful outcome...besides borking stuff more 0_o...
After a whole day just decided to reverse back to 'up to date' and just leave it there...

A soft solution is to cleanup with root...not elegant but it works...anyways I only ever logout or shutdown during an update sooo, can't say this will be much of a problem...

Btw I gave up when systemd-homed was just...gone, to keep testing I had to dirty hack my way into my own user home...
Could just created a new user now that I think about it...dangit, shouldn't be doing hacks that late...probably borked something with my half working brain there lol

Last edited by GaKu999 (2020-07-01 03:18:53)

My reposSome snippets

#6 2020-07-01 11:38:16

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

GaKu999 wrote:

Yes, but it is time consuming

It's time consuming to change to a dated mirror link and run `pacman -Syuu`?

Gaku999 wrote:

... due to my bloatyness and sadly had no useful outcome...besides borking stuff more

This is completely vague and unproductive.  This is the kind of thing I was trying to direct you away from as is covered in a sticked thread and several of our forum standards.

If you want help, you need to provide relevant information.  If you don't want help - e.g., if you are satisfied with waiting for a upcoming update to magically fix this as you suggested in a previous post - then please mark your thread as [SOLVED] to indicate you have a strategy that you are satisfied with.

#7 2020-07-01 13:09:35

GaKu999

Oh I see that I was vague, sorry..., the delay was when my pacman cache was not enough and pacman would need to download all the packages since they where not in the cache anymore (I keep packages, but not all of them since the first...)

Also my ISP just died, that explains the wonky internet of yesterday, I’d wish they where more transparent about that. sad

And the other part was the reappearing of solved issues that where already documented. I assumed that since I was dangerously rolling back at late night I should not spam about old issues with logs. And since they where issues I summarized as ‘me borking stuff’

I’m searching in the plasma documentation for a way to disable baloo until they fix it, and to know what is geoclue demo agent and how to disable it, that would be my suggestion for anyone else with this issue, if they are not there they can’t hang.

Now the other one is unrelated, the Xorg errors because errorlevel 15 of sddm...that is erratic, I expected reproducibility from that one but nope, it’s random alright, and only answers to KILL signals and a full restart of sddm, this also disappears when launching plasma directly with startx, definitely caused by sddm.
A suspension is the key cause of that behavior, 100% replication after suspension or screenlock.

It’s reported as a bug in: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=166770

I’m talking about this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=256441

I will make one final post here with the solution for those two, and mark this as solved so that others may be able to fix their issues as well.

Sadly even if I find a solution it will not help @graysky because he uses xfce4...as a former xfce4 user I’m really confused to see a strange issue like this appear in both DEs at the same time. neutral

Last edited by GaKu999 (2020-07-01 14:34:58)

My reposSome snippets

#8 2020-07-01 14:20:03

GaKu999

This entire issue with KDE plasma has been reported already: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1851527

Baloo can be disabled with ‘balooctl disable’

The geoclue demo agent is an xdg autostart file located on ‘/etc/xdg/autostart/geoclue-demo-agent.desktop’

Ugly fix that works is ‘ln -sf /dev/null /etc/xdg/autostart/geoclue-demo-agent.desktop’

Doing this completely fixes the issue.

Will rename this to...”Baloo and geoclue hang after logout” since it seems more accurate.

Also will mark as [SOLVED]

@Trilby I did good...?

Since geoclue is not plasma related I’ll have to see how do I tell them about this...

Last edited by GaKu999 (2020-07-01 14:39:32)

My reposSome snippets

Board footer