You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-14 20:45:49

sinkingpoint

Doesn't show SDDM screen on boot after update

I use KDE Plasma, SDDM and Xorg. Back in December, I updated and was met with the 'Starting version xxx-x-arch' screen instead of the usual SDDM login. I wasn't in a position to fix it at the time so I ended up reverting the update and it went back to normal. Now, I am giving it another go, but it's stumping me.

SDDM is shown as active and running in systemctl. Xorg exits immediately with no error if I try to run it with startx. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2020-03-14 20:52:42

sinkingpoint

Re: Doesn't show SDDM screen on boot after update

This may be relevant, I did follow the instructions for it though: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/64892

#3 2020-03-14 21:01:18

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Your journal will contain relevant information. As will your xorg.log. Also, details about your hardware and graphics stack would be helpful.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2020-03-19 06:04:27

Skaper

Hey!

I'm having the exact same issue. This morning when I booted my system running Plasma and tried to update it I got a bunch of Plasma related updates. So I did and then I restarted the system only to find myself stuck at "Starting version 245-3-arch"

I can use the other virtual consoles by pressing alt+function keys except the first one where the message is displayed. SDDM is also running.

Did you find a way to fix this? If not how did you roll back to the previous version? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I like to do things a certain way, even if there's a simpler solution available. (No one will hire me, I know.)

#5 2020-03-31 07:03:54

micsnare

Hello,

I've been running into the same error.
When I run
systemctl status sddm

I can see that the sddm-helper exited with 11 and therefore the greeter stopped.

Sadly, I cannot find anything related to this error code.

I would love to provide you with samples of the xorg.log but seeing as nothing is working anymore, and not even interfaces are coming up, I cannot provide you with much details.
I'm typing this on my smartphone at the moment sad

@sinkingpoint: the link you have provided doesn't help me that much...... i have only installed xf86-input-libinput

Last edited by micsnare (2020-03-31 07:05:54)

#6 2020-03-31 11:44:43

Lone_Wolf

micsnare, I suggest you start a new thread.

Try to boot with systemd.unit=multi-user.target added as kernel parameter.
If that works it will give you a console login.
login as root as root and use

# journalctl -b -some_number

to retrieve logs from previous boots.
Post the log  somewhere like on a pastebin, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … in_clients

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#7 2020-07-02 19:30:40

sinkingpoint

Thanks everyone, I figured it out in the end. It was one of my kernel parameters. enable_dpcd_backlight was changed from a boolean to an int and I still had it set to Y.

Board footer