You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-01 10:13:12

archqt

Pacman option to update software one by one [SOLVED]

Hi,
i give an example, when you want to update and you type

sudo pacman -Syyu

If there are 3 softwares to update A, B and C. And A uses A1, A2 as packages. B uses B1 and B2....

It dowloads A1, A2 and A so now it is possible to install completely A.
It downloads B1 and if there is an error on B2 (it can't download or duplicate files...) then pacman won't update A and C.

Is there an option to have everything that is possible to be updated or, do we have to solve the error on B before it works.
Thanks

Last edited by archqt (2020-08-01 14:58:07)

#2 2020-08-01 11:47:38

ondoho
Website

Re: Pacman option to update software one by one [SOLVED]

archqt wrote:

Is there an option to have everything that is possible to be updated or, do we have to solve the error on B before it works.

Partial upgrades are not supported - therefore the answer is: You have to solve the error on B before it works.

If you really want to stick with the first option, I'm sure it's possible to write a quick shell script that a) uses pacman to create a list of upgradeable packages, then b) goes through that list 1 by 1 and upgrades them, regardless of errors.

#3 2020-08-01 12:25:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

The proper command to upgrade your system is `pacman -Syu`, `pacman -Suy` is also correct; `pacman -Syyu` is not, this is wasteful of time and mirror resources.  It's up to you if you want to waste your own time, but please don't waste community mirror resources for no reason.

Second, you refer to "software" made up of multiple packages.  There is no such thing.  There are just packages.  I have no doubt that you can see a functional unit relationship between several packages, but this is subjective: there is no objective meaning to the way you are using the word "software" here.

Third, partial upgrades are not supported.  And fourh partial upgrades are not supported.  I'm not sure why ondoho gave you pointers on how to force a partial upgrade, that is a disservice.  Partial upgrades will very likely result in a broken system, and there is no reaosn to expect help from this community to fix it if you deliberately do a partial upgrade and more than a hardware technician should be willing to help fix a computer after you deliberately smash it with a hammer.

So to answer your final question: solve the problem, don't try to brush it under the rug.  And the fact that you ask this as if it is a regular occurrence, suggest that's B's failure is not the problem, but a symptom.  Fix what's actually wrong (e.g., bad mirrors, untracked manually installed software, etc).

Last edited by Trilby (2020-08-01 12:31:31)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2020-08-01 12:56:36

ondoho
Website

Trilby wrote:

I'm not sure why ondoho gave you pointers on how to force a partial upgrade, that is a disservice.  Partial upgrades will very likely result in a broken system, and there is no reaosn to expect help from this community to fix it if you deliberately do a partial upgrade and more than a hardware technician should be willing to help fix a computer after you deliberately smash it with a hammer.

I concur.

#5 2020-08-01 14:32:04

archqt

ondoho wrote:
archqt wrote:

Partial upgrades are not supported - therefore the answer is: You have to solve the error on B before it works.

If you really want to stick with the first option, I'm sure it's possible to write a quick shell script that a) uses pacman to create a list of upgradeable packages, then b) goes through that list 1 by 1 and upgrades them, regardless of errors.

Thanks good answer

#6 2020-08-01 14:53:00

Scimmia
Fellow

and *when* (not if, but when) that breaks your system, don't come here for help.

#7 2020-08-01 14:57:39

archqt

Trilby wrote:

The proper command to upgrade your system is `pacman -Syu`, `pacman -Suy` is also correct; `pacman -Syyu` is not, this is wasteful of time and mirror resources.  It's up to you if you want to waste your own time, but please don't waste community mirror resources for no reason.

Second, you refer to "software" made up of multiple packages.  There is no such thing.  There are just packages.  I have no doubt that you can see a functional unit relationship between several packages, but this is subjective: there is no objective meaning to the way you are using the word "software" here.

Third, partial upgrades are not supported.  And fourh partial upgrades are not supported.  I'm not sure why ondoho gave you pointers on how to force a partial upgrade, that is a disservice.  Partial upgrades will very likely result in a broken system, and there is no reaosn to expect help from this community to fix it if you deliberately do a partial upgrade and more than a hardware technician should be willing to help fix a computer after you deliberately smash it with a hammer.

So to answer your final question: solve the problem, don't try to brush it under the rug.  And the fact that you ask this as if it is a regular occurrence, suggest that's B's failure is not the problem, but a symptom.  Fix what's actually wrong (e.g., bad mirrors, untracked manually installed software, etc).

When i said that A uses A1, A2. It means the version of package A needs a newer version of package A1 and A2. I've never said a software was made of several packages.

If i asked the question, it is because sometimes you need the "newer version" of a software A but because of another package B that is not good (maybe the system, maybe problem on the package that will be solved in few days) the update needs to be done by just a "pacman -S A".

I don't see why it will go to a broken system. A will be newer but its dependences A1 and A2 too, so everything will work fine. It is not the same as just installing B without B1 and B2.

Of course i try to solve problems when there are some, it was just a question to know if it exists. Sorry if it made you feel not comfortablle.

Thanks

#8 2020-08-01 15:09:51

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

archqt wrote:

When i said that A uses A1, A2. It means the version of package A needs a newer version of package A1 and A2. I've never said a software was made of several packages.

You need to update all packages together.  Versioned dependencies are rare in archlinux because they are not listed if a package works with the current version of other packages.  It is assumed that each package depends on the versions of it's dependencies that were in the repos at the same time.

archqt wrote:

If i asked the question, it is because sometimes you need the "newer version" of a software A but because of another package B that is not good (maybe the system, maybe problem on the package that will be solved in few days)

Again, this is a symptom of something broken on *your* system.  This should not happen.  If you are seeing this, waiting a few days is not the solution.  Fix what's broken on your system before it gets worse.

archqt wrote:

... the update needs to be done by just a "pacman -S A".

NO.  This *will* result in breakage (if this is after a failed attempt to `Syu` or any other command that updates the databases).

archqt wrote:

I don't see why it will go to a broken system.

You forgot the key word there "yet".  You don't yet see it.  Buf if you continue to do things incorrectly, you will see it.  You will then come here looking for help on how to fix the mess.

It sounds like you have previously been doing partial upgrades and think it's ok.  I'd not be all that surprised if this is what's leading to problems that result in you doing more partial upgrades (e.g., why "B" fails).

Last edited by Trilby (2020-08-01 15:11:47)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#9 2020-08-01 15:15:09

loqs

Trilby wrote:

You will then come here looking for help on how to fix the mess.

Then require pacman.log showing `pacman -Syu` has been performed before offering support.

#10 2020-08-01 16:03:18

archqt

Scimmia wrote:

and *when* (not if, but when) that breaks your system, don't come here for help.

Why are you so agressive ? You had a bad day ? i just asked if it was possible only.

#11 2020-08-01 16:27:46

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

So you accuse me of being "uncomfortable" and Scimmia of being "aggressive"?  No, were trying to save you a lot of pain and hassle.  Shame on us.  Clearly you're just trolling.

#12 2020-08-01 17:40:30

Slithery
Administrator

archqt wrote:
Scimmia wrote:

Why are you so agressive ? You had a bad day ? i just asked if it was possible only.

Because those were the rules you agreed to follow when signing up to the forums...
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130309

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#13 2020-08-01 18:36:11

archqt

Slithery wrote:
archqt wrote:
Scimmia wrote:

Because those were the rules you agreed to follow when signing up to the forums...
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130309

Sorry but i respected all the rules. I was polite, i gave an example to explain my question... A simple answer that just says "No pacman can't do that" would have been ok".

Have a nice day

#14 2020-08-01 18:39:07

Slithery
Administrator

archqt wrote:

Sorry but i respected all the rules. I was polite, i gave an example to explain my question... A simple answer that just says "No pacman can't do that" would have been ok".

It also would have been a lie. Pacman can do that, we just don't support using it that way.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Board footer