You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-21 13:51:54

maboleth

PCI Ethernet keeps popping in even when USB Tethering is connected

Latest Arch, latest Gnome, using Networkmanager. Realtek ethernet.

The problem I faced last night was when my provider had issues with the internet service. I just plugged in my Android phone, chose USB Tethering and tried to connect.

However, the PCI ethernet (regular modem connection) kept connecting, even though 'auto connection' was turned off. Every time I turned it off, it popped in again in 5-6secs. The problem with that was because I didn't have internet as it interfered with my USB tether connection that worked as long as there wasn't the pci ethernet.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? How can I turn off pci ethernet for good next time, without actually messing with the modem or cable?

Last edited by maboleth (2020-07-21 13:56:14)

#2 2020-08-04 10:22:39

maboleth

Re: PCI Ethernet keeps popping in even when USB Tethering is connected

Anyone for this?

TLDR: how can I stop PCI Ethernet from auto-connecting every time I turn it off (and untag auto-connection in Networking profile menu) while USB Tethering is on?

#3 2020-08-04 14:00:26

ewaller
Administrator

I've had similar issues with Gnome.  As a work around, you might use iw link set down dev xxx   (I think that is the right format -- I'll leave it to you to check wink )  Or unplug it.  Or use rmmod to remove the driver module from the kernel space.

Or, you could tell Networkmanager to ignore it https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … ic_devices
You can also apply weights to various networks to cause one to be preferred over another, but I don;t recall the details right now.

Last edited by ewaller (2020-08-04 14:10:01)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2020-08-04 21:10:47

maboleth

ewaller wrote:

I've had similar issues with Gnome.  As a work around, you might use iw link set down dev xxx   (I think that is the right format -- I'll leave it to you to check wink )  Or unplug it.  Or use rmmod to remove the driver module from the kernel space.

Or, you could tell Networkmanager to ignore it https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … ic_devices
You can also apply weights to various networks to cause one to be preferred over another, but I don;t recall the details right now.

Thanks!

If I tell Ntwkmngr to ignore it, I'm afraid I'll have to setup PCI ethernet manually every time I need it (and I need it 99.999% of time), if I got it right?

#5 2020-08-05 01:14:49

ewaller
Administrator

Yeah.  That is why it would be better to prioritize the tethered network over the wired network -- because the tethered network is almost never there.

I think I found it; configure the tethered interface in NetworkManager to have a lower route metric than your Ethernet port.  If the tethered network exists, it will be prefered over the wired Ethernet.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager

I knew I had seen this before:  https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p1665025  smile   But, that was for a different network management tool.

In any event,  try the search words route metric

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2020-08-05 22:12:52

maboleth

Thanks a lot @ewaller, I will give it a try!

Board footer