You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-05 06:41:29

rabadash

[SOLVED]Mail Server and Drupal/Gallery2

I set up this server, that's got a webpage running Drupal with Menalto Gallery2 running.  I've discovered that whenever a new user tries to register with either, no email is sent, and with Gallery2 an error message comes up.  So I figure I need a mail server so that Drupal and Gallery2 can send these emails to users trying to register, I don't need it for anything else.  While I've seen a number of guides on the wiki on how to set up Hula, Postfix, and Courier, but I really don't know what it is that I need to meet my needs.

#2 2006-09-05 16:37:23

TheDoctor
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Mail Server and Drupal/Gallery2

Just using postfix should be fine, and I believe that it is set up to be a mail relay for the machine it is installed on, out of the box. 

If you are using a dynamic ip, it is very trivial to set it up to relay through your ISP's mail server as well.  You don't need the receive e-mail functionality, just the send, so don't worry about anything else.

#3 2006-09-06 09:15:31

rabadash

Well I'm setting it up on a college campus with a static IP.  Our Campus has an email server that I have access too, what would I need to use that?

#4 2006-09-06 14:56:04

TheDoctor
Website

Install postfix.  In main.cf, set the relayhost to your university's outbound smtp server.  Make sure that you set your mynetworks to 127.0.0.1, and enable the permit_mynetworks option.  This will allow you to send mail using your own server.

It's been a little bit since I have configured postfix, so make sure you do a relay test on your machine.

If I have left anything out, someone please correct me here.

#5 2006-09-06 21:48:34

rabadash

You'll have to forgive me for not being fully versed in this, but I configured /etc/postfix/main.cf by setting relayhost and mynetworks like you said.  I didn't find anything like a permit_mynetworks option though.

What's interesting is that while Menalto Gallery2 used to give me an error message whenever I tried to register a user with the email authentication enabled, it now says that it is sending the email, yet no email gets delivered.

Also, when you say install postfix, am I supposed to just pacman it, or am I supposed to do everything it says in the wiki also?

#6 2006-09-07 00:06:21

rabadash

Well I fixed it, All I did was install and configure the smtp module for drupal, and now both Gallery2 and Drupal relay their messages to the campus mail server.

Board footer