You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-15 12:40:39

beroal
Website

ArchLinux forum not forbidding necroposting?

The subject says it all. I tried to open the Manjaro forum (heard it is close to ArchLinux), but it gave a "network protocol error".

we are not condemned to write ugly code

#2 2020-08-15 12:46:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: ArchLinux forum not forbidding necroposting?

HUH?

You tried to go to a forum for another distro, and had a network error from another website?  What does that have to do with these forums?  And what does any of this have to do with necroposting?

Our rules to prohibit necroposting, but there is no automatic forum mechanism for this: mods/admins just close old threads if they get unduly revived.  But again, that's for posts on these forums: manjaro is a different distro with a seperate community: they run their own forums on their own website on their own servers.

Last edited by Trilby (2020-08-15 12:47:32)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2020-08-15 12:46:23

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

Please read the Code of Conduct, specifically the "How to post" section linked in my signature. And be aware that Manjaro is not supported here.

#4 2020-08-15 13:03:06

beroal
Website

Trilby wrote:

You tried to go to a forum for another distro, and had a network error from another website?  What does that have to do with these forums?  And what does any of this have to do with necroposting?

I tried to find a forum for a Linux distribution that is ArchLinux (which I like) or close to it and does not forbid necroposting. Probably, I chose the wrong forum for my thread. I hope moderators can move the thread to the "Off-Topic" forum.

2ManyDogs wrote:

Please read the Code of Conduct, specifically the "How to post" section linked in my signature. And be aware that Manjaro is not supported here.

Which item specifically?

#5 2020-08-15 13:06:40

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

beroal wrote:

Probably, I chose the wrong forum for my thread. I hope moderators can move the thread to the "Off-Topic" forum.

What's you're actual question?  You says the title says it all, but it doesn't.  Again, if you are having trouble on the manjaro forums, you'll need to ask them, we have nothing to do with the manjaro forums.

If you have a question about forums at bbs.archlinux.org, then ask it.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2020-08-15 13:14:56

loqs

Is this related to https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=247858 which was not closed as a necropost?  You do not appear to have ever posted in a thread that has been closed for necroposting.
Why do you want to necropost?

Last edited by loqs (2020-08-15 13:15:21)

#7 2020-08-15 14:38:21

beroal
Website

Trilby wrote:
beroal wrote:

Probably, I chose the wrong forum for my thread. I hope moderators can move the thread to the "Off-Topic" forum.

What's you're actual question?

beroal wrote:

I tried to find a forum for a Linux distribution that is ArchLinux (which I like) or close to it and does not forbid necroposting.

I can reformulate it as a question, like, "Is there a such forum?" or "Does anybody want to create one?"

loqs wrote:

Is this related to https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=247858 which was not closed as a necropost?  You do not appear to have ever posted in a thread that has been closed for necroposting.

Because I know the rules. ;-) Self-censoring.

#8 2020-08-15 14:50:12

GaKu999

This is a weird question, if you want chattering the chatting channels are the best place (IRC)...

Necropost on support threads is not wanted because since this is rolling release it may make old information appear first, which usually is unwanted and troublesome, also, the dead need to rest...and the forums be clean and tidy tongue

There’s one thread about someone getting hacked that justs stays alive forever, but other than that, you know the rules. tongue

A lolarchlinux forum for s@&t and giggles idk, it would be funny for a while then it would just be a caotic mess of unordered threads...

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#9 2020-08-15 15:14:03

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Oh, sorry, now I see your question - it was not at all clear at first.

Your title is lacking a verb which results in a lot of ambiguity if your question is "Is there an arch forum that allows necroposting?"

To which the answer is most likely no.  There are a lot of forums out there, some undoubtedly allow necroposting, but very few are arch linux forums.  I would almost say there is only one archlinux forum, but I believe some of the other language communites run their own forums like bbs.archlinux.de.  While enforcement may vary, I doubt any technical forum would really accept necroposting.

There are several subforums on this site in which we allow necroposting: specifically, non-technical, or at least non-troubleshooting sections (like "Try This" and some of "Off Topic").

There are forums out there devoted entirely to topics like what we get in "Try This" and "Off Topic", but none of them would be arch linux forums as they'd by-definition not be technical troubleshooting forums.

I'm curious, why do you want to be able to necropost?  Do you want to be able to necropost on troubleshooting threads, or do you just want more of the "try this" / "off topic" style community activity?  I suspect the forum community would be open to having more "try this" material within reason.

Last edited by Trilby (2020-08-15 15:14:15)

#10 2020-08-15 15:25:27

ewaller
Administrator

beroal wrote:

Because I know the rules. ;-) Self-censoring.

But, do you?   They are not hard and fast.

In general, we discourage posting to support  threads that are more than a couple months old, because (almost) invariably, the underlying assumptions change.   Kernels change, libraries change, new drivers appear, new init systems, what have you.   It can be confusing at best trying to apply the advise in a thread to a moving target.  Also, the original poster in a thread that has gone inactive is probably no longer seeking a solution -- they either found one, or have thrown in the towel.  Often we find the original poster may not have even visited the forums in the recent past.

As such, we invite you to, rather than 'necropost', start a new thread, state your rational for having done so, and link back to the original, deprecated thread.  You might even drop the moderators a note using the report function on the old thread that you have started a new thread (which you will own) and suggest the old topic be closed.

We also have non-support threads on the forums -- various discussions that are on or off topic -- that age better than do support threads.  In general, that sort of thread are not subject to restrictions on reviving old threads.  We have a joke thread that may go dormant for months at a time, or thread about music you are listening to, or polls about preference.

Lastly, if you have any questions, contact a moderator.  We can all be reached through the forum email function.  Or, use the report link for a post you want to respond to and tell the moderator team what you might like to do and we will get back to you.  We don't bite (well, most of us don't)

Edit:  Trilby beat me.

Last edited by ewaller (2020-08-15 15:26:13)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer