You are not logged in.

#26 2006-09-07 23:27:20

chrismortimore

Re: [split] Frugalware FUD

test1000 wrote:

There is ONE thing i would like to come out of this though: The next time someone can't make a package(s) because of a/b or C and it is a high-profile package(s) which many people would want then PLEASE ,for the love of god, state so on the forum or mailinglist or wherever in GOOD TIME so us --the collaborators(beats 'users' doesn't it?) can HELP.

I agree.  Although I don't personally use Gnome, and therefore this is kind of redundant in this situation, if a package came up that I wanted and the person in charge was otherwise unable to do it, I would be more than happy to lend a helping hand/core if time permits it (which it normally does).

Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 2x160GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10, 2x320GB WD Caviar RE, Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M, 512MB PC2700, 60GB IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB

#27 2006-09-08 01:14:47

Cam
Website

i don't use frugal anymore but when i did i ported aurbuild over and it worked well. they have a bunch of F* functions available but all the old vars are still there so it's just some regex to add a few necessaries and it worked a treat.

it was very hackish, i planned on doing a neater version but then i decided to jump back to arch and now i'm on my own distro but here is what i had kensai, you might want to have a play however its an older version of aurbuild.

http://www.camdaniel.com/fwaurbuild.tar.bz2

#28 2006-09-08 02:03:20

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

i'm not going to say it again.

well too bad, i will anyway. If there's something you don't like about the way arch works, the best way to get it accomplished is to do it yourself, and get it included so that everyone else may enjoy your work. I don't care for people that sit back and rant about how much everything sucks with no hint of having the will to do something about it, or at the very least suggesting a solution.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#29 2006-09-08 02:05:23

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Cam wrote:

i don't use frugal anymore but when i did i ported aurbuild over and it worked well. they have a bunch of F* functions available but all the old vars are still there so it's just some regex to add a few necessaries and it worked a treat.

it was very hackish, i planned on doing a neater version but then i decided to jump back to arch and now i'm on my own distro but here is what i had kensai, you might want to have a play however its an older version of aurbuild.

http://www.camdaniel.com/fwaurbuild.tar.bz2

Sweet! I always wondered if it could be ported to frugal. The link is dead though, I shut down my server and put the latest version 1.5.1 or something on berlios.

#30 2006-09-08 06:46:26

benplaut

kensai... was that last post just sarcasm?

i have nothing to add to this flamefest wink

#31 2006-09-08 06:47:11

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Am getting worried about the recent trend for talking about other distros on Arch Forums .....

I chose to ignore most of it because I am happy using Ubuntu  lol

Mr Green

#32 2006-09-08 10:14:02

n0gabor

Maybe the development is faster in Frugalware, but only in their current repo...
Frugal's current repo is like Arch's testing and unstable. i used Frugal for some months, but 3 times some greater crash occured when used current.
I think Arch linux is singular with its repository concept, which i like very much:) The current is stable, and there are testing, and even unstable...so no sense migrating to Frugal in my opignion.
On the other hand, AUR in Archlinux needs some arrangement, although its a very good thing. Puttying confirmed and supported packages in the ABS in a separet tree would be a good idea...

#33 2006-09-08 11:59:21

hypermegachi

a lot of this flamefest is pointless.

i've used both.  i like both.  both are suited for users not afraid of the command line.  both are damn fast.

so what if frugalware doesn't have AUR?  rename PKGBUILD to FrugalBuild, and add archs=('i686').  was that so difficult?  i sure hope not.  remember, PKGBUILDs are just bash commands.  the Fcommands are just wrappers, which are not required to be used.

1 thing arch has a definite advantage is maturity, and this will just take some time.  for example, why does subversion in frugal depend on sqlite2, sqlite3, and postgresql?

#34 2006-09-08 12:10:33

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Would be good idea to lock this thread before things get out of hand ...

Mr Green

#35 2006-09-08 13:33:47

kensai
Website

Yep, Please Lock, I already apologized for the missunderstand but got deleted. wink

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#36 2006-09-08 13:44:58

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Sounds good, I hope everyone feels they've had their say. In the future, would everyone please remember that Arch is about community, and not superiority. Its not about being the best, its about being the best for each user that uses it. We're known as one of the friendliest distro forums on the 'net. Please lets keep it that way.

Dusty

Board footer