#6926 2020-09-04 03:40:42

UserBlackBox

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello

#6927 2020-09-06 04:12:53

andheisus

Hi everyone.

I started on Linux in 2007, I went from Sabayon (Gentoo very-lite) to PCLOS to Manjaro and now here in 2020 to running Arch exclusively, after a couple of trial VM installations. The common thread for me has always been that it has to be a rolling release; reinstalling the OS every 6 months while almost always being about 5 months out of date never made very much sense, at least for me.

Arch undoubtedly is the best by far, and I was initially attracted and intrigued way back whenever by the scope of the Wiki, and how often it (and this forum) came up with an answer in Google search results for general questions on Linux or on other distros. Simply an amazing resource, and what an incredible community to have created and maintained it.

So I am very happy to finally be running Arch full-time, and want to learn as much as I can as quickly as possible. I’ll do my best not to waste anyone’s time here, and will hopefully be able to contribute here on the forum and in any other ways I can before too long.

This is my primary distro running on my main work laptop. I still have an older one with Manjaro on it, which honestly gives me more issues than Arch ever has.

Thanks to all the contributors, moderators, and devs: this is the best distro I have ever seen or used.

#6928 2020-09-09 22:13:20

taila

Hello everyone.

I’ve finally registered on the forums. I started with Linux with Red Hat 7 and moved on to SuSE before there was the community (open) versions. Then really got fascinated by Mandrake (before becoming Mandriva) and Lindows before MS forced them to change name to Linspire. 

And then I disappeared in the Linux scene for years, then part time returned dual booting. I started early this year to use a stand alone PC for myself which has to only run Linux. I started with Arco Linux but soon wanted the origins, the source, Arch.
I’ve been running Arch for the last 6 months, a few times I tried to return to Arco but couldn’t last a couple of days before hosing the system down and installing Arch again (even tried a hand in Manjaro but really couldn’t live with that one at all), even though I’ve played around with other distros in VM, I’ve always just put Arch in bare metal.

I’ve come to realize that I can’t be happy anywhere else but with Arch (Qtile), everything else feels a bit heavy by comparison.

#6929 2020-09-15 01:07:17

tjay260476

Hi, to everyone!

I have been using Linux Servers for the past decade, mostly Ubuntu based, and also run Linux Mint on my desktop. As I have installed windows since 3.11, I thought I'd give it a go with Arch Linux. I have given myself three goals. First to install a desktop based instance, then after that, a web server (I am a web host by trade!)  and then a simple file server.

It has taken me a few attempts to get a working instance, but thankfully with virtualization, I was able to set up, bork (there was that one install I deleted the Linux kernal becasue I was wanting an LTS version! When I bork, I BORK!), delete, and repeat until I had a working copy! I do have to say it is nice to be in complete control of the OS and just have what you need, rather than using a distro which is complied to what someone thinks you need. I can see Arch Linux being my daily driver for many projects to come!

#6930 2020-09-19 06:17:14

unemanja

Hello

#6931 2020-09-22 20:42:25

nohbody

Hello.

I'm a long time user of Linux, starting with Red Hat in 1995/1996.  I've "wandered" through a number of distributions over the years (even trying Linux From Scratch once).

In the past year or so, I've grown fond of using Arch-Based distributions due to the flexibility of the AUR.

So, I finally decided to go ahead and move to straight Arch. And I must say, with a little patience and paying attention to the instructions, it is nowhere near as hard to install as rumors make it out to be. It certainly is a lot easier than LFS.

#6932 2020-09-22 22:46:12

nomorewindows

Trilby wrote:
eq wrote:

I've been using Windows for my entire life, starting at 95 ...

That's quite late in life to start on computers! tongue

Welcome.

Better late than never.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

Board footer