You are not logged in.

#6926 2020-09-06 04:12:53

andheisus

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi everyone.

I started on Linux in 2007, I went from Sabayon (Gentoo very-lite) to PCLOS to Manjaro and now here in 2020 to running Arch exclusively, after a couple of trial VM installations. The common thread for me has always been that it has to be a rolling release; reinstalling the OS every 6 months while almost always being about 5 months out of date never made very much sense, at least for me.

Arch undoubtedly is the best by far, and I was initially attracted and intrigued way back whenever by the scope of the Wiki, and how often it (and this forum) came up with an answer in Google search results for general questions on Linux or on other distros. Simply an amazing resource, and what an incredible community to have created and maintained it.

So I am very happy to finally be running Arch full-time, and want to learn as much as I can as quickly as possible. I’ll do my best not to waste anyone’s time here, and will hopefully be able to contribute here on the forum and in any other ways I can before too long.

This is my primary distro running on my main work laptop. I still have an older one with Manjaro on it, which honestly gives me more issues than Arch ever has.

Thanks to all the contributors, moderators, and devs: this is the best distro I have ever seen or used.

#6927 2020-09-09 22:13:20

taila

Hello everyone.

I’ve finally registered on the forums. I started with Linux with Red Hat 7 and moved on to SuSE before there was the community (open) versions. Then really got fascinated by Mandrake (before becoming Mandriva) and Lindows before MS forced them to change name to Linspire. 

And then I disappeared in the Linux scene for years, then part time returned dual booting. I started early this year to use a stand alone PC for myself which has to only run Linux. I started with Arco Linux but soon wanted the origins, the source, Arch.
I’ve been running Arch for the last 6 months, a few times I tried to return to Arco but couldn’t last a couple of days before hosing the system down and installing Arch again (even tried a hand in Manjaro but really couldn’t live with that one at all), even though I’ve played around with other distros in VM, I’ve always just put Arch in bare metal.

I’ve come to realize that I can’t be happy anywhere else but with Arch (Qtile), everything else feels a bit heavy by comparison.

#6928 2020-09-15 01:07:17

tjay260476

Hi, to everyone!

I have been using Linux Servers for the past decade, mostly Ubuntu based, and also run Linux Mint on my desktop. As I have installed windows since 3.11, I thought I'd give it a go with Arch Linux. I have given myself three goals. First to install a desktop based instance, then after that, a web server (I am a web host by trade!)  and then a simple file server.

It has taken me a few attempts to get a working instance, but thankfully with virtualization, I was able to set up, bork (there was that one install I deleted the Linux kernal becasue I was wanting an LTS version! When I bork, I BORK!), delete, and repeat until I had a working copy! I do have to say it is nice to be in complete control of the OS and just have what you need, rather than using a distro which is complied to what someone thinks you need. I can see Arch Linux being my daily driver for many projects to come!

#6929 2020-09-19 06:17:14

unemanja

Hello

#6930 2020-09-22 20:42:25

nohbody

Hello.

I'm a long time user of Linux, starting with Red Hat in 1995/1996.  I've "wandered" through a number of distributions over the years (even trying Linux From Scratch once).

In the past year or so, I've grown fond of using Arch-Based distributions due to the flexibility of the AUR.

So, I finally decided to go ahead and move to straight Arch. And I must say, with a little patience and paying attention to the instructions, it is nowhere near as hard to install as rumors make it out to be. It certainly is a lot easier than LFS.

#6931 2020-09-22 22:46:12

nomorewindows

Trilby wrote:
eq wrote:

I've been using Windows for my entire life, starting at 95 ...

That's quite late in life to start on computers! tongue

Welcome.

Better late than never.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#6932 2020-09-27 12:25:41

jyoti

Hi everyone! I look forward to helping my fellow Archers in any way I can, whilst humbly accepting their advice.

♥♥♥ Boris Brejcha! ♥♥♥

#6933 2020-10-02 14:13:21

Savant

Hello

#6934 2020-10-09 00:02:31

farchirook

Hi All,
I am desperate for help.
I am stuck between the actual download of the ISO from HTTP Direct Downloads and the install. I can do the install and going forwards but what I am stuck on is the following:
1) How do I check the ISO that I am downloading for safety and authenticity as described in some forums and in the Download section of archlinux so this includes which files I should download and what do I have to run and what commands do I need to run on my Windows PC. I will need all the steps if possible. Could anyone help me. Also is BitTorrent safe and if so does anyone know the steps to get the ISO for the install if it is simpler (no need for verification for safety and authenticity)
2) I have a new PC and I want to know whether I choose UEFI SanDisk or SanDisk from the boot as there are few options in there while in the new GUI. I have a new PC with new ASUS ROG motherboard.
3) Is there anything special I need to do on my USB SanDisk before I copy over the ISO file on it. Any formatting or anything like that.
As you can see it is just the download, check-up and setting up of the USB.
Please if anyone can kindly help me with step by step instructions I would be grateful.
Thank you.

#6935 2020-10-09 00:55:09

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

farchirook, welcome to the forums.  Note that this is not a support thread (just hellos and welcomes), so your questions may not get much attention here.  But all of your questions are well covered in the wiki with the exception of exactly how to verify a gpg signature on windows - that you'd have to go to a windows support channel for.  However, just putting "verify gpg signature windows" into a search engine will get you countless step by step instructions.  Please make an effort to find the information you need.

If you still need clarification after doing your own searching and reading the wiki then feel free to start your own thread here in the Newbie Corner to get assistance with the specific part you are stuck on.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6936 2020-10-09 06:47:56

zoomzer

Hey everyone! I got into Linux after setting up my own website, and then becoming fascinated with how computer systems, especially Linux, worked. I've always been relatively tech literate, but that was my jumping off point into re-igniting my passion. After trying out Ubuntu, I heard about Arch, and wanted to give it a try. After testing some Arch based distros, notably EndeavorOS, I decided that I'd install the real thing. After two attempts, one which nuked my windows partition I succeeded. I love the distro, I love how much I'm learning, and I don't think I'll be going anywhere any time soon. Thank you to the Arch community, and especially the installation guide for it's great help.

Best mistake I ever made was accidentally deleting my windows partition smile

#6937 2020-10-09 11:33:41

farchirook

Trilby wrote:

farchirook, welcome to the forums.  Note that this is not a support thread (just hellos and welcomes), so your questions may not get much attention here.  But all of your questions are well covered in the wiki with the exception of exactly how to verify a gpg signature on windows - that you'd have to go to a windows support channel for.  However, just putting "verify gpg signature windows" into a search engine will get you countless step by step instructions.  Please make an effort to find the information you need.

If you still need clarification after doing your own searching and reading the wiki then feel free to start your own thread here in the Newbie Corner to get assistance with the specific part you are stuck on.

Thank you Trilby. I went and installed gpg4win and downloaded all the files. I also went to https://pierre-schmitz.com/ and copy pasted Arch Linux Packager Key and saved it as .pgp and imported it.  In the directory I ran the command which I found thanks to you in Google. Here is the output. Is it safe to use the ISO for the install now as I was told you have to have known the key owner in person.

C:\Users\user\Desktop\arch>gpg --verify archlinux-2020.09.01-x86_64.iso.sig archlinux-2020.09.01-x86_64.iso
gpg: Signature made 09/01/20 18:41:04 GMT Summer Time
gpg:                using RSA key 4AA4767BBC9C4B1D18AE28B77F2D434B9741E8AC
gpg: Good signature from "Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de>" [unknown]
gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: 4AA4 767B BC9C 4B1D 18AE  28B7 7F2D 434B 9741 E8AC

Thank you.

#6938 2020-10-09 12:31:14

UltraHorst

Hi all,
my name is Alex and I installed Manjaro on my laptop earlier this year. I fell in love with Manjaro Gnome.
Getting to learn it more and more brought me to Archlinux and its idea of simplicity. I share the ideals of
Archlinux and felt like Manjaro falsing the personal relationship between user and operatingsystem.

Now I want to switch to my personal configured Archlinux.

I'm relatively new to Linux and I will need help here and there as I'm getting used to this huge and complex
topic.

#6939 2020-10-09 12:48:04

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

farchirook wrote:

Is it safe to use the ISO for the install now as I was told you have to have known the key owner in person.

Again, this is explicitly covered in the installation guide.  The signature matches.  If that signature was downloaded from the archlinux.org site, you are all good in the sense that you've confirmed the content you downloaded is what was provided by archlinux.org.  If you're question is whether you can trust developers and content on archlinux.org ... well either you do or don't, but if you don't trust developers officially affiliated with archlinux.org, why would you trust the answers from a random forum member posting on bbs.archlinux.org?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6940 2020-10-09 13:08:24

farchirook

Trilby wrote:
farchirook wrote:

Is it safe to use the ISO for the install now as I was told you have to have known the key owner in person.

Again, this is explicitly covered in the installation guide.  The signature matches.  If that signature was downloaded from the archlinux.org site, you are all good in the sense that you've confirmed the content you downloaded is what was provided by archlinux.org.  If you're question is whether you can trust developers and content on archlinux.org ... well either you do or don't, but if you don't trust developers officially affiliated with archlinux.org, why would you trust the answers from a random forum member posting on bbs.archlinux.org?

Yupe yupe!!! Very true. Excellent. I am all good now. Yes Trilby you are right. Everything is in the Wiki as you stated step by step. I guess here we go. Good bye Windows and Mac OSX and he we come Archi.

#6941 2020-10-13 15:22:34

Zabamund

Hello,
I finally installed Arch linux using the installation guide on Sunday. I've been using Manjaro for a couple of years but wanted to see the real thing,
so Hello from another arch-linux noob :-)

#6942 2020-10-17 22:47:02

phs

I'm a musician. Slowly migrating from corporate ecosystems to Linux. My current DAW of choice is Mixbus. After going thru many flavors of GNU/Linux over 10+ years, including a stint with Gentoo, for the last three years or so I've worked with Arch and I'm still enjoying it. I installed it by means of the wiki pages (and to be honest, a couple of YouTube videos).

Deciding on Arch is a mixed bag. Clearly, it takes more time and effort to learn than other distros. That is time not doing music, which is annoying. However, over time, I have a better handle on what's on my machine and why. So I hope that in the long run, I'll eventually know what I'm doing technically, which will actually benefit my workflow.

#6943 2020-10-25 22:35:25

sgdjs

Hello

Very happy to be here!

#6944 2020-10-28 03:36:03

budder

Hello,

New newbie checking in

#6945 2020-10-30 06:57:08

agena10

Hello, can finally proudly say "I use Arch btw".

Just yesterday, finally got the courage to install Arch, so happy I did it successfully but without accidentally breaking up my other Dual-boot system. big_smile Started using Linux since last year or two and at last, I'm now an Arch user.

#6946 2020-10-30 07:00:09

guilli

Hi everyone, I came to Linux in 2019 and l am now using Arch, my favorite distribution!

#6947 2020-10-31 10:39:02

sandman241

Hi everyone

#6948 2020-10-31 21:57:37

Meragone

Hey, all! A couple years back I tried Debian but didn't have use for a GNU/Linux distribution on a 32-bit processor, as most things I used didn't care about 32-bit binaries

This year this old computer got fed up of Windows 7, it's a shared computer and from my observation it was cluttered with viruses.

So, I installed a couple Ubuntu flavours, all of them too slow, I didn't really use them. I installed a Debian netinstall with all the tasksel options unchecked and set up OpenBox along with tint2, made it really nice and friendly, yet fast, for whomever else needs the computer.

Due to personal curiousity, fascination, dissatisfaction, and boredom, yesterday night I made space for a new OS and fired up archiso, the install felt like 10 minutes, people love to describe Arch installation as an esoteric process... It's much easier than I anticipated.

I'm working on some performance issues currently, but using Arch feels great so far regardless, I cannot wait to customise my Suckless headers (dwm, st, surf).

i use doas btw

#6949 2020-11-03 02:48:37

DocS

Hello everyone, here's another new Arch user.

Many years ago, I registered on some gaming forum with the name DrStrangelove and it stuck, so that's why I have this name.

What am I doing here? I'm coming from Windows. The main reason is that after getting into hobbyist C/C++/assembly coding, I decided I want to have a little laptop that I can code on. Very quickly it became apparent that I don't want it to run Windows for several reasons -- one being it's bloated AF which is bad on a humble Celeron laptop, another being that it'd be neat to have an environment that encourages programming, and then of course all the data/privacy BS I could do without. So Linux it was.

Why Arch? I'm not entirely new to Linux actually, I had an episode in 2002 or so when computer magazines in Germany hyped it as the better alternative to Windows. So I got SUSE 8.1 or whatever it was at the time. I kinda liked it, but I had a lot of compatibility/driver issues that were painful to resolve and generally it felt like another bloated system that just didn't run the stuff that Windows did, so after a year or so I caved in and used Windows again because it just worked. I guess I just wasn't ready.

Now this time I wanted to do it differently. I don't want an alternative to Windows/Mac, I want something different. This time, I want to do it right and understand the system. Arch seemed intimidating at first and I was pondering if I should start with Debian or Ubuntu or Mint or whatever before slowly going lower level. Then I realised this is the wrong approach and I decided to just jump into the cold water by going for Arch right away, and hell this was the right decision. I knew it would be an uphill struggle but I realised that's the way to go if I'm serious about it. If I really want to understand the system, I should avoid the "user-friendly" layers of complexity like hell. If I struggle with something, I'll have to research it and solve it. I quickly realised how good the Arch documentation/wiki is and embraced the idea of expecting the user to be an autonomous being able to solve their own issues without holding hands.

Actually, I was surprised by how easy some of it is. I had no idea how fast and easy installing software could be before pacman. But even so, I'm not trying to make my life easy, because the more I struggle, the more I learn. I've been using it terminal-only for a while and just recently decided to install dwm as my only GUI. I'm running into some issues but the thing is, I'm confident I'll resolve them.

That's the thing. During the installation, there were a few things that I apparently didn't do exactly as I was supposed to. But I did my research and fixed it. I understood that, I did that. And I learned. That's a feeling I don't get from systems that try to do everything for me.

I'm absolutely loving Arch so far. The idea that there's nothing unless I choose to install it is right up my alley. And it's very likely to control my desktop PC in the near future as well.

Anyway, thanks for reading this rambling and I'm looking forward to being a productive member of this community.

#6950 2020-11-03 10:17:53

designergaze
Website

Hello. My name is Jay, and I am currently living in Seoul, South Korea with my family. I graduated college this year (majoring in Computer Science), and just applied to study graphic design in New York City. Now I make animation for living. I have been using Linux for more than a year (used Ubuntu, Linux Mint, MX Linux, and Manjaro). I wanted a distro that can bring me the latest stable kernel right after testings by developers. I have always thought about installing Arch Linux, and it became this year's goal for me. After a long hassle, I finally installed it in a small laptop and works very smoothly. I feel good about myself for being part of the Arch community.

Last edited by designergaze (2020-11-03 10:19:15)

"The most personal is the most creative." - Bong Joon-ho

Board footer