You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-02 16:04:34

callybrookeyxuuki
Banned

Compiling Dwm to Arch Linux, missing Xft.h?

Hello!

Trying to compile the Dwm Tile Manager (that uses Xorg ) on Arch Linux currently produces the following error: http://ix.io/2ztt. This indicates that the Xft.h library is required to compile Dwm?

The Arch Linux package manager fails to install Xorg-server (which contains Xft.h) leaving this keyring error: http://ix.io/2zu0.

Is there an alternative way I can obtain the Xft.h?

#2 2020-10-02 16:14:20

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Compiling Dwm to Arch Linux, missing Xft.h?

1) Why are you not using a PKGBUILD?

2) Xtf.h is provided by libxft, not xorg-server ... though of course you need to have Xorg installed (and possibly configured) before you'll be able to use a window manager!

3) Your actual error is covered in the wiki.

mod edit: removed incorrect link

Trilby edit: OOOPS, somehow the link was to a previous completely unrelated link I used on the forums ... odd.

Last edited by Trilby (2020-10-02 16:54:07)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2020-10-02 16:34:27

callybrookeyxuuki
Banned

The advice I've read so far recommends compiling dwm from source, not using a package manager so Im choosing to do that.
Running pacman with libxft reads the same error: required key missing from keyring? Is that what the issue is?

#4 2020-10-02 16:55:48

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

callybrookeyxuuki wrote:

The advice I've read so far recommends compiling dwm from source, not using a package manager so Im choosing to do that.

Which advice is this?  You do realize that using a PKGBUILD is building it from source, right?

callybrookeyxuuki wrote:

Running pacman with libxft reads the same error: required key missing from keyring? Is that what the issue is?

Yes.  READ THE WIKI (there's even a now-fixed link directly to the relevant section).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2020-10-02 17:13:38

callybrookeyxuuki
Banned

Sorry I'm struggling I don't know why. I've have read what I understand are relevant  pages of the wiki. Do you mean read the whole thing. Or read the wiki on libxft, or keyrings?

#6 2020-10-02 17:44:02

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I provided a link directly to a very very short excerpt that is specifically for the error you are facing.  I mean you should read and follow the advice there.

#7 2020-10-03 18:17:31

callybrookeyxuuki
Banned

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dwm under Installation is what I was going by when using make with the official Github repo.

#8 2020-10-03 21:31:09

GaKu999

callybrookeyxuuki wrote:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dwm under Installation is what I was going by when using make with the official Github repo.

The prescribed way, since it expects to be configured before make, but since you can do the same with a properly done PKGBUILD, it's preferred to do so, as stated next.

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#9 2020-10-03 21:38:54

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

A PKGBUILD would have ensured the dependencies were installed, which I initially thought was the problem.  But the real problem is a broken pacman keyring.  The solution has been linked to.

#10 2020-10-04 23:34:47

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

@callybrookeyxuuki You successfully appealed a ban against your primary account, and were advised that you should use that account to interact with the forums. Rescinding of the ban was conditional on you abiding by our community guidelines - which includes not using multiple accounts. Yet here you are using your alternative account that you created to get around the ban on your first account.

I have banned this account ("callybrookeyxuuki") permanently. Use your "primary" account, and only that account, on the forums. I can't be any clearer than that.

Board footer