You are not logged in.

#1 2020-10-10 16:52:16

xerxes_

[SOLVED] Archiso not boot in UEFI mode on some system

I writed archiso 2020.10.01 on usb drive by some kind of command 'dd bs=4M if=/path/to/image.iso of=/dev/sdx status=progress oflag=sync' and on CD by command 'cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 -speed 8 driveropts=burnfree fs=32m -eject image.iso' but it didn't want to boot in UEFI mode on some system (only in BIOS mode) and from CD. However on other system (with old BIOS only) it booted from usb.

lsblk -f
sdb    iso9660 Joliet Extension ARCH_202010 2020-10-01-15-07-58-00                              
├─sdb1 iso9660 Joliet Extension ARCH_202010 2020-10-01-15-07-58-00                              
└─sdb2 vfat    FAT16            ARCHISO_EFI 137A-1EE8 
fdisk -l /dev/sdb
Disk /dev/sdb: 14.44 GiB, 15504900096 bytes, 30283008 sectors
Disk model: Patriot Memory  
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x5d6f8025

Device     Boot Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdb1  *        0 1394687 1394688  681M  0 Empty
/dev/sdb2         264  114951  114688   56M ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
parted -l
Model:  Patriot Memory (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 15.5GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start  End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 2      135kB  58.9MB  58.7MB  primary  fat16        esp

Might it be because partition to boot is not gpt or is not first?

Last edited by xerxes_ (2020-10-24 18:21:23)

#2 2020-10-10 17:34:05

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Archiso not boot in UEFI mode on some system

Windslab wrote:

There is video instruction how to setup Arch Linux to EFI partition

Please don't link to crappy third-party video "guides". The official guide is the only installation method that is supported here.

Windslab wrote:

Quick code sheet

The OP is trying to boot the Arch ISO image so that won't help them.

@OP: have you tried disabling Secure Boot?

EDIT: removed quoted link.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2020-10-10 17:41:26)

#3 2020-10-10 17:48:10

Lone_Wolf

The archlinux iso is able to boot in bios or efi mode.
Lots of motherboard manufacturers enable CSM legacy mode by default and rely on autodetection to determine whether to boot bios or efi.
That autodetection mechanism sees archlinux iso can boot in bios mode and uses bios mode without checking for efi support.

Disabling CSM / legacy options is the simplest way to ensure archlinux iso decides what mode to boot, not the firmware.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2020-10-10 17:56:37

nomorewindows

Lone_Wolf wrote:

The archlinux iso is able to boot in bios or efi mode.
Lots of motherboard manufacturers enable CSM legacy mode by default and rely on autodetection to determine whether to boot bios or efi.
That autodetection mechanism sees archlinux iso can boot in bios mode and uses bios mode without checking for efi support.

Disabling CSM / legacy options is the simplest way to ensure archlinux iso decides what mode to boot, not the firmware.

You can actually boot archiso in bios mode, and do all the pacman stuff and getting files written.

You can come back later and shim in the bootloader stuff in efi mode and it'll still work.  May have to turn off micro$oft only "secure boot" mode off if it doesn't like the signatures or your shim didn't work.  Some motherboards can be manually booted either way and sometimes can be booted from efi in bios mode.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#5 2020-10-10 18:34:12

GaKu999

Windslab wrote:
loqs wrote:
Windslab wrote:

The OP now has a guide how step by step install a new system with EFI mode. Hope at the moment of my post write OP no need more help.

Be careful with your utterances, that's video guide made by me.

These forums are for Arch Linux x86_64 ONLY.

Not Antegros, or Apricity, or Manjaro, or any of the "easy Arch installers", nor Arch-ARM; nothing other than vanilla 64-bit Arch Linux. Ask those communities for support.
If you have installed Arch, please read the rules before posting. README: Forum Rules.

Use of such video guides is not supported on these forums.

You better solve the problems like me, not write what I need to do. Yes maybe vidoe guides is not allowed, but I added it like additional information and exception. In past I spent 1+ year to setup Arch Linux to machine and I not wont to see like people trying.

Stop your nonsense already, you are breaking every forum rule everywhere AND using Manjaro, besides the trolling and mod impersonation...

Moderator note:  This post may have lost its context.  I split off the thread hijack and dustbinned the dead parts

GaKu999 edit: well, the text is quoted, should I wipe it?

OP have you successfully managed to get to your firmware’s configuration and disabled CMS?

You could also make a hybrid boot system so you won’t have to worry in the future about garbage UEFI implementations... hmm
If it doesn’t work in one, it will work in the other.

Last edited by GaKu999 (2020-10-10 18:49:52)

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#6 2020-10-10 21:42:28

xerxes_

This case is a lot more complicated: currently I don't have access to Bios/UEFI to change to CSM or do anything (I will write UEFI because it's not really a Bios).

As I was told (because it's not my system, I only try to repair it), everything has started when user was running Google Earth and he suddenly saw critical system error or system crash and he had to reboot it. But system fail to reboot: a dollar signs '$' where displayed in some parts of screen instead letters when UEFI was starting and there had to be some changes in UEFI menu boot loader, so win 10, which were installed, don't start.

I changed orginal graphic card to Geforce 8600gt to see if that dollar signs disappear - and they did, but something STRANGE has happened: I lost possibility to go to UEFI setup by pressing F2. Even when I switch back to original graphic card (Quadro 4000, system is Dell T3600) I still couldn't enter to UEFI setup and dollar signs were back. I can only use boot menu by pressing F12.

I tried to remove motherboard battery, even for longer time, but it didn't change anything. There is option in boot menu (F12) to start diagnostic hardware which checks all components of the system; all test were fine except one with hard drives: "No Hard Drive detected, or disk controller not supported".

I can boot win10 usb stick (but not always) in Bios mode and in UEFI mode, but Archiso only in Bios mode from CD, not from usb. I was hoping to manipulate some boot options by efibootmgr or read values by efivar, but when arch isn't started in UEFI mode, it is probably not possible (I had error message that this not apply to this system, not found - something like that message).

I have idea (but don't know if it is possible) to find some windows apps to get access to UEFI by changing some UEFI settings from windows, boot menu or reset from that apps.

Do you have any idea what happened with UEFI and how to restore access to setup?

I have reed that someone also had this dollar sings when was using Google Earth and another one was using Steam; they both had dollar sign problem.
It is scary idea that may use some app that is actively useing internet and had crash that turns your precious hardware into piece of trash can.

Last edited by xerxes_ (2020-10-10 21:56:46)

#7 2020-10-10 21:54:08

GaKu999

Removing the battery without short circuiting CMOS will not wipe whatever hell just happened with that.

You need to unite the CMOS reset pins with something, usually for 10 seconds. And short circuit the battery pins.

That worked when I had to deal with motherboard hell...but idk if that will work for you...

Is it a laptop or a desktop?

My reposSome snippets

#8 2020-10-10 22:03:50

xerxes_

I shorted circuit battery pins if they were below place were battery sits. It is desktop. But I still don't understand: why change of graphic card block access to UEFI? That is mystery for me. This was not supposed to done that; unwelcome surprise for me.

#9 2020-10-10 22:51:12

GaKu999

xerxes_ wrote:

I shorted circuit battery pins if they were below place were battery sits. It is desktop. But I still don't understand: why change of graphic card block access to UEFI? That is mystery for me. This was not supposed to done that; unwelcome surprise for me.

Well, if I where to told you every UEFi derp in existence this forum will end with an overflow and I would be banned for “spamming”...

Did it work?
Also reformulating, you need to join the CMOS RESET jumpers, just in case I wasn’t clear enough...and it’s needed in your case...

My reposSome snippets

#10 2020-10-11 10:21:44

xerxes_

I will try to find that jumpers on motherboard tomorrow, when I go to work, but I was looking it previously and didn't found them. Maybe not all motherboards have it.

UPDATE: I found instructions on Dell site how to reset UEFI settings on this motherboard by reset jumper and by Bios battery. I done this resets (by jumper and battery) step by step, exactly the same how it was written on Dell site and it didn't change anything: still I can't access UEFI by pressing F2 key (procedure was done right because after reboot UEFI (ironically!) complained about wrong time/date and to go to setup to change this).

UPDATE 2: I managed to get access to UEFI, so now I don't have to reset it. I have to change damaged graphic card to new one to get access to UEFI. It looks like not all graphic card may work well with all motherboards.

I will mark this thread as solved.

Last edited by xerxes_ (2020-10-24 18:18:50)

Board footer