You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-14 01:26:36

Husker

Samba: XP login required first access

I'm looking for some help.

At my church, I have set up an Arch box as a backup file server for two Windows machines, "office", and "pastor".

Here's the problem I'm having:

The "office" machine is XP Home and it connects to the samba share on boot just fine. No problems here.

The "pastor" machine is XP Pro and it does not connect on boot. To access the share, a username/password is required for the first access after boot. After that initial authorization, it then works fine until the next reboot.

I don't understand why I'm getting the initial password box for access. The users are set up very similar in the samba config file like:

[office]
        comment = Office's Backup Directory
        path = /backup/office
        valid users = office
        public = no
        writable = yes
        printable = no

[pastor]
        comment = Pastor's Backup Directory
        path = /backup/pastor
        valid users = pastor
        public = no
        writable = yes
        printable = no

I've checked 10 times and reset the samba username/password to match pastor's XP username/password. I have created a "pastor" user on the Arch box with the same password as well as a samba user for pastor.

When I get the password popup box, I enter the same password that is on the XP machine and it will then access fine.

Let me start there. If you have any ideas please share. If you need more info, to help you help me, I will be happy to provide that. I will collect some possible solutions and in a few days, I'll go back to the church and give them a try. We want that pastor's computer to be able to connect on boot so he doesn't have to provide the samba password.

Thanks!

#2 2006-09-14 16:20:08

Lone_Wolf

Re: Samba: XP login required first access

I've had a similar problem between 2 XP Pro pc's. 1 was in a domain, the other where the fileshare was located was not.

I never found out why it wasn't working, but did find a workaround :

On the XP Pro box , issue a command like this in a console window :
NET USE X \archboxsharename password /user:username

This will create a mapped drive with driveletter X on the XP Pro machine.
Once you have the command working as wanted , put it in a bat or cmd-file and put that file in the user's startup-group .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2006-09-14 21:31:57

lang2

Re: Samba: XP login required first access

I have the same problem. But if the windows PC is put into hibernation instead of full shutdown, it does remember to remap the drive.

If anybody have a *proper* solution, I am all ears.

Board footer