You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-15 22:58:16

Holoduke

Windows Intel Net update breaks Linux networking until PSU poweroff

I used to be able to switch between Windows and Linux without issues, but after installing Windows update KB4586781 today, Linux wired networking did not work any more. Interface appears as usual, but no packets seem to be sent, i.e. DHCP times out, and no connectivity after manual configuration. WLAN still works.

After completely powering the computer off (i.e. turning off the PSU or removing power cord) and booting to Linux, it works again. Booting to Windows and back to Linux again: does not work. It's reproducible.

Mainboard is an ASUS Z87-Pro with Intel I217-V.

That's quite weird, is it plausible at all? Or just the old mainboard beginning to have hardware issues, and the update correlation is just coincidence?

Last edited by Holoduke (2020-11-16 11:04:30)

#2 2020-11-15 23:23:27

seth

Re: Windows Intel Net update breaks Linux networking until PSU poweroff

Did windows maybe re-enable fast-boot?

#3 2020-11-16 00:50:43

Holoduke

No, that's not the problem. Hibernate is disabled, so that option does not even show up. And a restart is unaffected by fast startup. I'd also notice it, because NTFS volumes usually fail to mount, when fast startup is active.

I tried uninstalling all updates installed today, which were actually three (KB4586781, KB4586864, KB4580419). Two security updates could not be uninstalled (somehow, when you uninstall cumulative updates, others appear). It didn't help. Then I restored the restore point that was automatically created before the update. That fixed the issue.

So, I don't know whether it's caused by the updates, or a setting changed by the updates. But before the update it worked, and after the update Windows definitively left the network adapter in a state that doesn't work in Linux.

#4 2020-11-16 07:22:35

seth

And a restart is unaffected by fast startup.

If you mean that windows is hibernating regardless of a cold or warm boot: yes.
But the hardware is not. (The chip has to re-init its volatile memory after the cut from power)

If you encounter it again, I'd look at the fast boot setting, because the symptoms almost yells this at you.
Also look(from linux) at the existence and timestamp of the hiberfil.sys

#5 2020-11-16 09:18:55

GaKu999

My experience on that...

Windows should™ have fast-boot disabled alongside hibernation, that's what the gut tells, and that's what they tell, but it's not.
Fast-Boot typically re-enables itself after an update, and one must enable hibernation, disable Fast-Boot, disable hibernation...
Or do it from cmd.exe if you know the command (while hibernation can be controlled from there, Fast-Boot iirc does not have any command...), I think the GUI is broken, makes the assumption that Fast-Boot is disabled if hibernation is disabled, which is not the case.

But that's my mileage, YMMV, I got that into a piece of "cheapware" just to avoid ^.

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#6 2020-11-16 11:13:15

Holoduke

I turned on fast startup in the restored pre-update state to see whether it affects the network adapter. It doesn't. To tell that Windows is really in fast startup mode, I attempted to mount its system volume, which would fail if it is. It did, and network worked.

With restart I mean selecting "Start -> Power -> Restart" as opposed to "Shut down". If Windows is restarted, the next startup won't be a fast one. I verified that, too, by successfully mounting the system volume.

I updated again, and this time I noticed that Intel Net is being updated to 12.19.0.16, which is most likely the culprit. Disabling fast startup doesn't help. I guess it's uploading newer firmware which doesn't work with the Linux driver, and isn't unloaded until full power off.

#7 2020-11-16 11:20:58

GaKu999

Holoduke wrote:

I updated again, and this time I noticed that Intel Net is being updated to 12.19.0.16, which is most likely the culprit. Disabling fast startup doesn't help. I guess it's uploading newer firmware which doesn't work with the Linux driver, and isn't unloaded until full power off.

Hrmp, so Windows is yet causing more problems...
In that case...idk what to do...o_O

Guess you have switch with extra steps now...

My reposSome snippets

Heisenberg might have been here.

#8 2020-11-16 11:31:10

Holoduke

Well, I'm about to build a new PC anyway, the final parts are arriving tomorrow. The new mainboard will have an Intel I211-AT (and also a Realtek RTL8125-CG). Will be interesting to see if it is affected, too. If it is, I'm super lucky that I figured it out now, otherwise I'd probably just blame the new mainboard.

Nevertheless, if another dual boot user with this board and/or an Intel I217-V adapter is having the same problem, this thread might help. If other mainboards or Intel adapters are also affected, it will certainly be noticed and fixed soon.

#9 2020-11-17 18:22:46

mamath

hello,

i have exactly the same problem :
- dual boot archlinux / windows 10 (20H2) since some years
- motherboard Asus Maximus VI with intel network integrated
- when i do a "sudo dhcpcd", i get a timeout error

Yesterday, i played some windows games and i saw that the system was doing some updates.
And when i rebooted to archlinux, my wired network stop working.

I tested the solution to power off completly and boot under archlinux and wired network works again !

If anyone has a solution to fix this definitely...

thank you

#10 2020-11-18 03:35:31

Holoduke

I think it should be possible to downgrade the Windows Intel network driver. I haven't tried yet.

Last edited by Holoduke (2020-11-18 03:36:09)

#11 2020-11-22 20:58:45

tbg

Are you sure your bios is up to date?

One thing you might want to try is entering your bios upon reboot from Windoze. You could try to disable then re-enable your Ethernet adapter if that option is available in your bios. If there is no option for that, sometimes simply entering the bios and then exiting the bios is enough to trigger an adapter reset rather than requiring a cold boot.

Not a solution, but perhaps a little more convenient than having to try and access your PSU switch if it's buried under your desk.

#12 2020-11-22 21:51:00

Skunky

Could you please try using "powercfg -h off" in windows cmd and see if the problem is solved? This command completely disable fast boot and delete hiberfil.sys, just like Windows 7.
You can undo with "powercfg -h on"
Edit: note that using powercfg -h off will cause the gui options regarding fastboot to disappear from control panel

Last edited by Skunky (2020-11-22 21:55:24)

#13 2020-11-23 00:33:12

mamath

Hello,

- my bios version is the last version
- i disabled an option "fast boot" in my bios
- i did a powercfg -h off
- i reinstalled network driver from asus website

No luck, the problem is still there..

Thank you

Last edited by mamath (2020-11-23 12:02:51)

#14 2020-11-24 02:01:36

tbg

Others are reporting this as well within the last week:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet … 474#M22601

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php … p=14002126

This is a very old post, so it seems that this is a recurring problem:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/706253/ … ber-update

This is definitely not the first time around for this issue. There was a script posted on the Arch forum 5 years ago that reputedly solves this issue:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=191981

Disabling WoL and/or PXE seems to be another method to workaround this issue.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by tbg (2020-11-24 19:22:35)

#15 2020-11-24 20:22:22

mamath

Hello

I didn't find the option to disable/enable network in my bios, and forget to tell this in my message.

I read your links and tested to disable WoL in windows but no luck
I tested to downgrade intel i217-v driver but no luck

Finally, I setup the script to run on system startup with systemd and it works very well.

For those interressed, here is the service :

/etc/systemd/system/fix-network.service

[Unit]
Description=Script to fix intel network issue
Before=network-online.target

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/fix-network.sh

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

And the script from @jnko (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=191981)

/usr/bin/fix-network.sh

#!/bin/bash

#Get the PCI-Address of network card (Caution: This works ONLY with ONE NIC)
PCI=`/usr/bin/lspci | /bin/egrep -i 'network|ethernet' | /usr/bin/cut -d' ' -f1`
PCIPATH=`/usr/bin/find /sys -name *\${PCI} | /bin/egrep -i *pci0000*`

#echo "PCI    =$PCI"
#echo "PCIPATH=$PCIPATH"
#ls -la $PCIPATH

/usr/bin/logger -t "ResetNIC" "Resetting PCI NIC ${PCIPATH}"

#Reset the PCI Device completely (like Power-ON/Off)
echo 1 >${PCIPATH}/reset

Let's see if the next intel driver release fix this problem...

Thank you @tbg and @jnko

Last edited by mamath (2020-11-25 04:33:36)

#16 2020-11-25 12:17:45

tbg

So glad that script fixed things up for you, and you're very welcome.

If you consider your issue resolved for now, then please prepend [SOLVED) to your thread title.

#17 2020-11-27 09:45:21

mamath

tbg wrote:

So glad that script fixed things up for you, and you're very welcome.

If you consider your issue resolved for now, then please prepend [SOLVED) to your thread title.

It's not my thread, i think i can't do this

#18 2020-11-30 18:56:12

tbg

Ah, sorry I'm getting a little older and my powers of observation and memory aren't what they once were. Funny thing about this issue is I'd already saved the link and script from 5 years ago in my networking notes. When I found that post from 5 years ago and went to save it I was surprised to find it was already saved.

It sucks getting older. My networking notes are very extensive though, so that compensates somewhat for a memory that isn't quite what it used to be. Anyways, glad I found that solution in the archives, and glad it helped you (and hopefully the OP as well).

Thanks for posting back, unfortunately many others find their solution and then forget to update their thread.

It would be nice to hear from the OP regarding this issue to find out if the fix is applicable to more than just yourself.

Last edited by tbg (2020-11-30 19:04:10)

#19 2020-12-29 17:35:22

mamath

intel i217-v drivers 25.6 (windows) from 18 december fix the problem

Board footer