You are not logged in.

#1 2020-11-25 12:27:50

Rollie23

[SOLVED] Wired connection only works when wireless is turned on

I've been using a wired connection for a while, with a static IP assigned by my university. This week the internet seemed to drop out, but I can still ssh and vnc into my computer remotely. I can ping 8.8.8.8, but I can't ping google.com ("ping: google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution"), and no webpages load. However, if I turn on my wifi connection, my wired connection starts to work again and I can now load webpages. If I check my ip address, it shows my wired static IP.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this or what the issue is? Thanks!

EDIT: The issue was that my resolvd service wasn't running. I deleted /etc/resolv.conf, and started/enabled systemd-resolved, restarted, and everything seems to be working.

Last edited by Rollie23 (2020-11-25 13:36:44)

#2 2020-11-25 13:14:44

Koatao

Re: [SOLVED] Wired connection only works when wireless is turned on

Hi,
If you can ping any public address but no domain names, it usually means your computer is not configured properly to resolve domain name (I know, i'm stating the obvious here smile ) but it doesn't mean you did something wrong though.

Typically, you can find the DNS server used by your system in /etc/resolv.conf, but it could point to a DNS cache running on your computer (so you would have to look at how the cache is configured). There is multiple way to configure your DNS settings, so without further knowledge, my best help would be to point you to the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Do … resolution.

How do you manage your wired connection? Do you use DHCP? Static addressing? Do you have specific settings for DNS?

Usually, with DHCP, the DNS server(s) to use is/are given by the DHCP server, and your system will use it by default (unless you state otherwise).

So maybe (just a guess at this point) when you connect with your wireless card to the network, you end up with a working configuration because it modifies dynamically (thx to DHCP) the DNS server(s) to use.

Last edited by Koatao (2020-11-25 13:16:48)

#3 2020-11-25 13:36:12

Rollie23

Re: [SOLVED] Wired connection only works when wireless is turned on

Thanks for the fast reply. The issue was that my resolved service wasn't running. I deleted /etc/resolv.conf, and started/enabled systemd-resolved. Then I restarted, and everything seems to be working. Hopefully this fixes it for good. I have no idea why resolved was down though....

Board footer