You are not logged in.

#1 2020-12-26 16:04:15

Gotit

Encrypted Volume on Cloud Storage

Hi - I’ve been searching for a way to create an encrypted volume in a cloud drive (G-drive, pCloud, Onedrive...) where I can store my files encrypted and work with them through mounting the volume locally.

I have tried several packages (TrueCrypt, Cryptsetup…) but always get stopped when trying to create the volume or folder. It requires root to do this and I get, “Permission denied”.

Quite simply, is there a way around this?

Note: I've successfully been able to use file level encryption in cloud storage.  However, they don't quite meet the need as encfs has a security hole and CryFS isn't mature enough, but has excellent potential.

#2 2020-12-26 16:40:30

qinohe

Re: Encrypted Volume on Cloud Storage

You can use 'tcplay' it's in Community https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tcplay.
Encrypt a dir. of say 2G. locally than upload it to your cloud.
When connected to you cloud decrypt the file locally, works well.
However, the downside is if you make the dir. BIG you should find a different solution for you need to sync the (complete) container on all devices every-time you made changes to it.

#3 2020-12-27 17:32:55

Gotit

@qinohe thanks, I'll check it out!
Yes, I'm aware of the large directory issues... was hoping to find a good file level encryption, but I haven't found one that measures up yet, as noted above.

#4 2020-12-27 18:47:11

progandy

You can also use ext4/luks with udisks2. gnome-disks (gnome-disk-utility) is a GUI you can use with it to create loopback images and then format them with ext4 and luks.

In the shell it is impossible without creating scripts for the dbus interface (udisksctl does not support formatting)
http://storaged.org/doc/udisks2-api/lat … ock.Format

Once you have created the volume, you can use the shell to call "udisksctl loop-setup" and "udisksctl mount". The mount command can be replaced with udiskie, it allows automounting with a password dialog, the loop-setup command is still necessary.

Last edited by progandy (2020-12-27 18:51:08)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#5 2020-12-27 21:05:06

qinohe

@progandy, they basically use the same programs behind the scene, dm_crypt/luks.
It's a matter of taste I guess wink

@Gotit, unless you're cloud provides some method to make things possible you're always bound to local ways to encrypt files/dir's/imges/containers. Once created you can store them remotely, but decrypting always local. I'm sure there exist a few programs to make things possible also for single files, but this one is good ( at least for me it is ) and has never let me down.

Board footer