You are not logged in.

#7001 2021-01-12 23:56:30

52xUYE

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi,

Not new to linux,
I've erased my GF entire gallery back in 2012.
She cried a little bit for the pictures.
But I am happy overall.

Windows is heavy,
Linux is 500mi idle.

I love arch, pacman and the community.
Everyday I know why I wake up: Sudo Pacman -Syyu
Then I go to sleep again until the next day.

I want to be a hacker.
But I am too old for that.
So I'll be glad to be a SysAdmin.

Learning some programming.
Assembly, C and python.
Bash, Perl is okay.

My dream is to be an Arch Developer.
Thanks for the guidelines.
I am here to help.

Here is my pstree:

systemd─┬─dbus-daemon
        ├─dhclient
        ├─i3bar───i3status
        ├─login───zsh───startx───xinit─┬─Xorg───8*[{Xorg}]
        │                              └─i3
        ├─lvmetad
        ├─systemd─┬─(sd-pam)
        │         ├─at-spi-bus-laun───3*[{at-spi-bus-laun}]
        │         ├─dbus-daemon
        │         └─dconf-service───2*[{dconf-service}]
        ├─systemd-journal
        ├─systemd-logind
        ├─systemd-network
        ├─systemd-udevd
        ├─urxvt───zsh───pstree
        ├─3*[urxvt───zsh]
        ├─2*[wpa_supplicant]
        └─zsh───firefox─┬─Privileged Cont───23*[{Privileged Cont}]
                        ├─RDD Process───2*[{RDD Process}]
                        ├─Web Content───31*[{Web Content}]
                        ├─2*[Web Content───23*[{Web Content}]]
                        ├─Web Content───25*[{Web Content}]
                        ├─2*[Web Content───29*[{Web Content}]]
                        ├─Web Content───24*[{Web Content}]
                        ├─WebExtensions───20*[{WebExtensions}]
                        ├─file:// Content───41*[{file:// Content}]
                        └─83*[{firefox}]

Thanks.

Bye.

Last edited by 52xUYE (2021-01-13 00:01:24)

#7002 2021-01-13 00:06:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

52xUYE wrote:

Sudo Pacman -Syyu

That's not the proper way to upgrade your system - but I gather it is advised in some currently popular third-party tutorials which are not supported on these forums.

52xUYE wrote:

I want to be a hacker.
But I am too old for that.

You're never too old to become a actual hacker.  If you mean you want to be what the media calls a "hacker" ... well, there are comments on that in the linked article too about being "lazy, irresponsible, and not very bright".

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7003 2021-01-13 00:25:29

52xUYE

Trilby wrote:

That's not the proper way to upgrade your system

I really need to help myself before helping others.
Thanks, that's why I am here. Anyway.
Got to read Upgrading the system.
Definitely.

Trilby wrote:

You're never too old to become a actual hacker.  If you mean you want to be what the media calls a "hacker" ... well, there are comments on that in the linked article too about being "lazy, irresponsible, and not very bright".

Haha, Yes. Not talking about script kiddies.
I am a big fan of Eric Steven Raymond.
No age's required, you're right.
But a deep Curiosity.

Thanks
big_smile

Last edited by 52xUYE (2021-01-13 00:25:57)

#7004 2021-01-13 18:49:03

Beyond46

Hi everyone! After some distrohopping I finally landed on Arch Linux!

#7005 2021-01-15 02:27:25

JaviInkling360

Hi everyone!
My dad introduced me to Linux through Ubuntu... while he stayed there, I started distrohopping and came across Arch Linux. The first time I tried to install it I couldn't even figure out the partitions so I gave it up... until I finally figured it out and now I'm here and ready to learn more

#7006 2021-01-15 12:53:37

Buddlespit

Welcome, Beyond46 and Javilinkling360! I, too, was a distro-hopper until I ran into Arch Linux. I was running Kubuntu until I got tired of re-installing my system every time I broke something. I have learned how to diagnose my own problems and fix them (usually with the help of the gurus' in the forums). On the Debian systems I was running, I would re-install every 6-8 months. I've been running this current iteration for a few years.

edit for punctuation.

Last edited by Buddlespit (2021-01-15 12:54:27)

#7007 2021-01-19 09:40:02

TheCisconian

Hello everyone.
I've been using GNU/Linux as my daily driver for a few months now.
Started on ubuntu/kubuntu , then did Manjaro for a couple weeks and decided to switch to Arch.
I've done a couple successful "base" instals on a VM so i think i'm ready to do a bare metal install on my main PC tonight.

#7008 2021-01-21 16:01:11

pocketpiggy

Hi everybody!

I've been using GNU/Linux on and off for about a decade or so, extremely casually. I recently got more interested in it after I started programming a bit more over the last two years, after a taste of unix-like from mac OS.
I was using an old 2011 iMac hand-me-down as my daily driver for this past year, with an old laptop dual booting Windows 10 LTSC & Ubuntu. Got fed up with Ubuntu getting a little sluggish on my old laptop, so I installed Arch a couple months ago on it...and wow.
The difference is night and day. I distro hopped on some of my old netbooks, settling on MX Linux for an older 32bit CPU, but Arch on everything else. I think the first time I installed Arch, it took me around...8 hours? Since then, installs usually take me about 10-15 mins max.

I just got my new laptop for school last week, an Acer Swift 3 with Ryzen 4700U. Learned something new, installing fresh with LVM on LUKS and dual booting with windows 10 LTSC. Which...it seems like with Arch I learn something new everyday hah.

#7009 2021-01-22 09:22:24

newbiearcher

Hello Guys,

Recently started using Archlinux for mailman3 & am quite new to it.

Greetings to all of you.

Have a great day.

Thanks.

#7010 2021-01-22 17:52:30

spacejesus

Hey all.

Pretty new to the Arch world.

Stoked to learn some things.

Cheers from Canada

#7011 2021-01-26 18:26:22

wolfqst

Hello.
Arch user since one year or so. I love it!
Willing to learn and read.

Hello everybody!

#7012 2021-01-28 18:26:52

Zer0Fox

Hi. Im new to arch.

Btw, i use arch.

#7013 2021-01-31 08:29:27

farxhan
Website

Hi everyone!

Had been using Debian/Ubuntu based for over 6 years as a regular terminal-phobic home user, but now switching to Arch because screw me LMAO. Installation went smoothly (seriously nothing can go wrong following the Arch Wiki), but configuring it to my liking is surely a hell XD. It forced me learn some Linux commands like cp mv mkdir rm chroot etc. Now I can fix some errors and problems (kind of) because I know what actually I did to my OS. So thankful now I can use terminal more comfortable.

Just my desktop screen <3
my desktop

saha nu ngartos tulisan ieu téh hébat

#7014 2021-02-01 14:05:18

Lazykatz

Heeeelloooo ALL,

Not a noob to linux, last time I sat/worked in front of, hmmmm forgot name, they had windows xp I think. I have no regrets for the long journey of adventures, everything from web developement to content creation. Arch is my default and Debian are my desktop/workstations, and usually Centos server. Never thought learning css for web site would lead to php, ruby, python, nodejs, kubernetes, arch, debian, redhat, etc.. etc.

I knew one day I'd be in this forum with a keyboard instead of a magnifying glass... LOL

Everyone should enjoy the linux journey, new adventures daily, just jump in.

Lazykatz

At my age I've seen it all, done it all, heard it all, I just can't remember it all!

#7015 2021-02-02 22:13:18

saintAleksi

Hi,

I love arch

Bye.

#7016 2021-02-03 03:25:48

quakexx

yeah, i should make a post(officially) as a mark here.
i have been using arch for around 2 yrs, nice to see you mates here.

Last edited by quakexx (2021-02-03 03:27:50)

#7017 2021-02-03 06:18:38

sayosaru

Hello, everyone.
I am a new arch user, and I am expected to learn and share here.

#7018 2021-02-03 08:25:05

visone
Website

Howdy' !!!!!

I've using linux since 2k, mostly deb based distros, I could say that I tryied almost every distro stating with Knoppix. This is a hobby and a way of live for me, don't have any tech background so every thing I learned have been self-learning in my free time.
Wasn't until 3 years ago that I started to learn about arch, reading the wiki, trying it in a vm,etc. But 2 years ago I bought a new laptop with dual gpu, an amd/nvidia combo. I was having real problems to make them work in the distro I was using (Neon), so while I was searching about dual gpu i came across with a AUR pkg, optimux-switch to manage them and because I didn't have the knowledge to make a produccion machine work with arch, went to manjaro. A few months later changed from DE to WM and use that change to also change distro. Now using arch/bspwm, anxious to keep learning and enjoying this new world!!

Fiyah Bum Dem!!!

#7019 2021-02-03 09:31:30

raphaelabb

Bonjour,

My name's Raphael, I'm writing from France.
I've been using Linux for at least 15 years now. But I hadn't gone so far as to surface tweaks and simple bash commands until I got more time and decided to "build" my OS like I wanted.
I'm not the kind of people who would spit on Windows and other user-friendly distros, I have used WinXP a lot and still think it was a good OS for daily mainstream usage. Then the following versions got messy and heavy. So I gave Linux a try, liked the philosophy and possibilities it brings. My first distros was Mandriva, at the time it was still not easy to get internet and printers working. Since then, I've tried many distros, but when you do simple stuff on a computer (like internet, music and printing) all the distros finally feel the same, except for the look of the desktop which I don't really care for. My machine is not very powerful, I want a concise and fast OS.
I first tried 2 months ago to put a Gentoo together, I was happy to get it to work with a DE at my first try (their wiki is good too). But I don't care about compiling, plus it takes way too much time (Xorg compiling took like 5 hours).
I had heard of ArchLinux of course (how could you not hear about it when you hang around linux websites?), downloaded the ISO, followed the ArchWiki and got my OS like I finally wanted, that is, try to use the smallest tools for my usage, no heavy DE (just OpenBox, SpaceFM and configurations as much as possible manually editing config files.
I have to say I'm impressed by the freedom Arch gives, by the work of developers and the amount of useful literature out there (never had to ask for help on a forum so far, maybe I will here, haha).
Thanks for reading.

Last edited by raphaelabb (2021-02-03 09:32:13)

#7020 2021-02-04 18:25:08

azm

Hi!

I've been using GNU/Linux since December, mainly Manjaro (although I have been distrohopping a bit).
Decided to go with Arch today and to my surprise the install went smoothly.

Nice to meet you all. Have a great day.

#7021 2021-02-07 08:02:49

yaboibpm

Greetings everyone!!

I am not new to linux but I am new to arch. I've used a bunch of distros but I have always had a draw to wanting to use arch, I guess you could say im doubling down and running arch fulltime to get a new experience and learn much more thatn what I do now. I look forward to everything in the future with you guys!

#7022 2021-02-07 19:52:29

elbot

Long time Linux, first time Arch...

I just wanted to say hello to the community and I am excited to finally be part of this group. I did not allow myself to join this community until I was successfully able to completely install Arch on my computer. I am working on transitioning from being an IT Help Desk Technician to a Linux Systems Admin. When learning of this distro, the complexities, and most of all the benefits and community support, I immediately wanted to be able to say "I use Arch, BTW". It has been a long hard few weeks of trying to install Arch on my ROG laptop, but all thanks to the help of all of you, browsing the forums and the ArchWiki searching for answers, I was able to get it completely installed successfully. This site and this community is truly awesome. Thank you! Oh, can I say it? I use Arch, BTW!!!!!!!

#7023 2021-02-07 19:59:44

V1del
Forum Moderator

Glad to hear you managed, merging with the Hello everyone thread

#7024 2021-02-13 19:35:04

easylee
Website

Hi everyone! Typing this from my very first Arch install!

So far so good making the switch from Manjaro to Arch.

#7025 2021-02-14 16:16:06

MrKodomoh64

echo Hello, World!

Board footer