You are not logged in.

#1 2021-01-17 10:07:33

Arciere

[Solved] How to read on PC text messages that arrive on my smartphone

Not only do I apologize if it is not the right section, but I also apologize if it is not the right forum in which to ask my question, but you are the haunt of people who are more knowledgeable in computer science to whom I have to ask my question .
Having said that, do any of you know a way to be able to read text messages (SMS) that arrive on my smartphone without having it in my hands?
Several times it happened to me that it was stolen, and to be able to access my home banking, for example, without a smartphone it was a punch in the balls.
The problems, in my case, are mainly two: I no longer have Google service in the phone for quite a while (so I can't use PushBullet, MightyText, Google Message, etc.) and the other problem is that the use of excellent applications like KDEConnect and GSConnect do not solve my problem, because they work when PC and smartphone are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Finally, even the use of a virtual number would not solve my problem, because I need messages that arrive at my number, not another.
Could some genius be able to help me?
My OS is obviously Arch and on my smartphone there is LineageOS no-Gapps.

Last edited by Arciere (2021-06-23 08:42:41)

Arciere

#2 2021-01-17 13:05:34

Maniaxx

Re: [Solved] How to read on PC text messages that arrive on my smartphone

Look for MAXS SmsRead in F-Droid.

sys2064

#3 2021-01-17 14:25:48

Arciere

Maniaxx wrote:

Look for MAXS SmsRead in F-Droid.

First of all thanks for your reply!
I am now reading on the official website of the project what it consists of and I admit I have not understood much. It is not clear to me how this XMPP technology communicates with the smartphone, so, before trying to learn how to use it, I ask you: you can use this method even if the phone is far from us and is not connected to the same Wi-Fi network?

Arciere

#4 2021-01-17 16:00:06

Maniaxx

Yes, it doesn't matter how you connect to it. It just needs internet access. You "talk" to the program by a chat messenger (xmpp/jabber), its a bot. You give it a command and it will execute it and answer.

Edit: XMPP needs a server though where both parties meet. There are public ones or you could set up your own. I'm not sure if its encrypted yet though.

Last edited by Maniaxx (2021-01-17 16:04:17)

sys2064

#5 2021-01-17 16:02:00

Arciere

Maniaxx wrote:

Yes, it doesn't matter how you connect to it. It just needs internet access. You "talk" to the program by a chat messenger (xmpp/jabber), its a bot. You give it a command and it will execute it and answer.

So f*****g perfect! Thank you very much, I try it right away!!

Arciere

#6 2021-01-18 16:11:28

Arciere

Maniaxx wrote:

Edit: XMPP needs a server though where both parties meet. There are public ones or you could set up your own. I'm not sure if its encrypted yet though.

So, after several attempts due to my inexperience (I didn't even know what XMPP / Jabber was), I got to this point: I get the SMS to the PC only when I press on the MAXS app "Stop Service" and then again "Start Service ". Do you know by chance how I can solve it, and make sure that it sends the new SMS arriving on the phone to the PC independently and continuously?

Arciere

#7 2021-01-18 17:06:57

drcouzelis
Website

Another potential solution...

I use Pulse SMS (open source) on my phone. Also, I purchased the "life time service" with Pulse that gives me access to the desktop app (in the AUR, also open source). It works well, and all text messages are encrypted by default so they can't be read by the maintainers of the Pulse servers.

The cost of the Pulse service may be too expensive for what you were looking for. I think I purchased it when it was a little on sale for under $10, and I used Google Play Store credit.

Whatever you decide to go with, good luck. smile

Last edited by drcouzelis (2021-01-18 17:09:08)

#8 2021-01-18 17:22:14

Arciere

drcouzelis wrote:

Another potential solution...

I use Pulse SMS (open source) on my phone. Also, I purchased the "life time service" with Pulse that gives me access to the desktop app (in the AUR, also open source). It works well, and all text messages are encrypted by default so they can't be read by the maintainers of the Pulse servers.

The cost of the Pulse service may be too expensive for what you were looking for. I think I purchased it when it was a little on sale for under $10, and I used Google Play Store credit.

Whatever you decide to go with, good luck. smile

Thanks a lot for your suggestion!!
I can't find the cost of the service on the site, can you tell me something?
Do you use it on a device without Google service?

UPDATE: I checked the docs and sadly it just doesn't seem to work without Gapps...

Last edited by Arciere (2021-01-18 17:25:16)

Arciere

#9 2021-01-18 22:00:30

Maniaxx

Arciere wrote:

Do you know by chance how I can solve it, and make sure that it sends the new SMS arriving on the phone to the PC independently and continuously?

No, sorry. I just used the location modules yet with maxs.

Did you try MicroG yet? Its a 'google services' replacement. Its not fully feature complete yet but it should already allow the features you might need (push service). That's using googles proprietary service indeed but at least its under control of microg and probably the best and only approach possible to get both worlds. It might allow you to use more apps. MicroG needs either a patched Lineage rom or xposed framework installed (that might slow down the phone a bit as its a api hooking framework).

Last edited by Maniaxx (2021-01-18 22:01:23)

sys2064

#10 2021-01-19 05:14:18

Arciere

Maniaxx wrote:

No, sorry. I just used the location modules yet with maxs.

Did you try MicroG yet? Its a 'google services' replacement. Its not fully feature complete yet but it should already allow the features you might need (push service). That's using googles proprietary service indeed but at least its under control of microg and probably the best and only approach possible to get both worlds. It might allow you to use more apps. MicroG needs either a patched Lineage rom or xposed framework installed (that might slow down the phone a bit as its a api hooking framework).

Oh thank you very much!!
Unfortunately when I installed this custom ROM on my phone, the version with MicroG was not yet available for my model (if I remember correctly). I have not checked anymore, but now I do it and if there is I flash it as soon as I have a moment.

Arciere

#11 2021-01-19 07:03:00

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Matrix has an SMS bridge that might achieve what you're looking for.

https://matrix.org/docs/projects/bridge/sms-matrix

Board footer